Mac mini: teardown, adding second hard drive, 1TB upgrade kit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

That would be part of my point. This is more about Apple than us. Is the 8 hour battery life on the 17 inch more important than having the option of changing the battery myself? Would you purchase a cordless or wireless phone with a permanent battery? For this reason alone I will not, not, not buy an iPod.

Watch it- you're inviting a matrix-like attack from the Kool-aid brigade.

Trust me, I know.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    It almost looks from the pictures like you might be able to replace the one DVD drive with 2 (two)? hard drives? Is it possible to cram three drives in the mini?
  • Reply 23 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

It almost looks from the pictures like you might be able to replace the one DVD drive with 2 (two)? hard drives? Is it possible to cram three drives in the mini?

Maybe tape the third drive to the top of the case?
  • Reply 24 of 73
    I picked one up yesterday... and I'm loving it.

Why apple doesn't offer this little monster in a different enclosure is beyond me.

If you could throw in a few regular HDs, I'd be jumping for joy. I've already nearly filed the 120GB drive. We finally have dual screens... so I guess I should be happy.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Trust me, I know.

I am old, fat, and mostly fearless while hiding behind my keyboard. Unafraid to speak my mind. Never married either. So there you go. Apple has issues. It is so easy to slam Microsoft, why not be honest with regard to Apple?
  • Reply 26 of 73
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

That would be part of my point. This is more about Apple than us. Is the 8 hour battery life on the 17 inch more important than having the option of changing the battery myself? Would you purchase a cordless or wireless phone with a permanent battery? For this reason alone I will not, not, not buy an iPod.

Quote:

Trust me, I know.

Nahh, I don't see that Matrix Attack coming. At least not until he decides to post multiple and similar complaints into every thread.

Dude is entitled to his opinion--it is clear that Apple makes non-standard choices that upset some reasonable people.

If, on the other hand, he were to appear to make it his life's hobby to spend his free time complaining about Apple's decisions on an Apple enthusiast site, well then certainly a reasonable person would see why he could expect to take some serious flack...
  • Reply 27 of 73
    vitaflovitaflo Posts: 35member
    Soldering is complete overkill for this. All you need is a few wire butt connectors that you can crimp the wire in place with. Not only is this a heck of a lot easier, but you don't risk a solder joint breaking.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I do have other posts. Uh Oh! I am not an Apple fan, but a Mac OS fan. I use a Mac only for the audio enforcement I require. Visual processing issues. I could survive by going back to the dark side, but would miss my best buddy Alex. If you look around, blind people are happily migrating to the Mac and that is awesome!!! Blind people can use a Mac right out of the box. Windows people must spend an extra $1,000. My eyes are bad for life. Apple will always be my first choice. Had an old iMac 350 and never understood Mac OS 9. Loved the voice Victoria. So, I apologize for slamming Apple. I love and need what they can do for me. Don't think Microsoft will EVER catch up. Windows 7 looks less blind-friendly than the others. Go Apple, Go!!!
  • Reply 29 of 73
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    wouldn't the mini get a LOT hotter with a second hd???
  • Reply 30 of 73
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Quote:

Trust me, I know.

Aren't people tired of trying to argue that Macs should be infinitely user-customizable yet? And that anyone who doesn't care is drinking the kool-aid?

Look, I've got a custom-built Linux box in my basement which is running RAID-5 (4 SATA drives), file serving to my LAN via SMB/AFP/NFS/SSH/UPnP, routing my wired LAN traffic over 2 bonded and load-balanced gigabit ethernet ports, routing my wireless LAN traffic, bridging my wired and wireless LANs, routing internet traffic for them, priority queuing internet traffic to ensure quality of service, doing nightly incremental backups to an external hard drive via rsync. I was even thinking about setting it up to make me coffee when I request it.

I've been using this same computer in various forms (changing/upgrading the internal components) for about 10 years now. For such a system, I'll never go with a Mac because a custom-built PC running Linux just gives me far more upgradeablity and flexibility.

That said, for my main work computer I choose a Mac because I don't want to spend my time fiddling with my computer. I want something that just works so that I can get my job done. And if it breaks, I can get full-service repairs -- either by taking it in to an Apple store and getting fast and knowledgeable service or, if I'm really pinched for time, having someone come out and service it for me (ProCare). Sure I have enough knowledge to diagnose and repair things myself, as well as tweaking all sorts of things on my Mac, but I simply have other things I need to be spending my time on.

Like it or not, this is the market Apple is designing their computers for.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Nahh, I don't see that Matrix Attack coming. At least not until he decides to post multiple and similar complaints into every thread.

Any Apple shortcoming is turned into a "complaint". Multiple and similar posts on different threads are usually the result of multiple threads on similar issues and/or products.

Quote:

Dude is entitled to his opinion--it is clear that Apple makes non-standard choices that upset some reasonable people.

Then why Dude, do you and your ilk always call it by your insipid mantra- a "complaint"?

Quote:

If, on the other hand, he were to appear to make it his life's hobby to spend his free time complaining about Apple's decisions on an Apple enthusiast site, well then certainly a reasonable person would see why he could expect to take some serious flack...

See -didn't I tell you?

My life's hobby? If you put down the drink you would have a free hand and be able to multi-task- so sorry.

BTW- read my post on the new Georgetown store- is that complaining about Apple?
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Aren't people tired of trying to argue that Macs should be infinitely user-customizable yet?

Greats comments auxio.

No- we're just tired that whenever we do for whatever reason, it's called a complaint.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Is there anything precluding you from putting a single 1TB drive in there?
  • Reply 34 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post

Have fun and void your warranty - all at the same time!

As far as anybody can tell, you don't necessarily void the warranty getting inside the computer unless what you did to it caused the computer to fail. But I think the techs will give you a hard time, this is a bit much. I really don't have so much interest in it though, there are so many more interesting electronics projects to be done if one were into tinkering.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by triadone View Post

But with the FW800 built in you can run some damn snappy external RAID setups in a plug and play scenario.

I was thinking a mini+FW800 Drobo and it would be a very simple yet powerful network storage appliance. I'm still surprised that Apple put FW800 into this thing. A Drobo can be attached to the Time Capsule by USB, but I think a mini would give you plenty more flexibility and better performance, with only a little bit more hassle and probably a lot lower power consumption compared to a regular desktop with RAID as a server.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wtbard View Post

Everyone that's thinking about getting a Mac-Mini, be aware that it appears to not put out analog video. The mini-dvi appears to be digital only. So now I'm trying to find out how to drive my analog TV.

That's good to know. Is there a mini- dvi to HDMI connector available now?
  • Reply 36 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vitaflo View Post

Soldering is complete overkill for this. All you need is a few wire butt connectors that you can crimp the wire in place with. Not only is this a heck of a lot easier, but you don't risk a solder joint breaking.

When it comes to reliable power connections I'd take a soldered joint anytime over the use of butt splices. Mechanically the soldered joint will be more reliable and have less of a power loss. I've seen enough brown butt splices in my life to understand that they are not the device to run power though.

About the only thing I'd do differently if to use liner melting shrink tubing as the first line of electrical insulation over the soldered joint. The second thing I'd do, given an abundance of money, is to install SSD drives in both locations. It would be very interesting to see how low one could lower the Minis power profile, while at the same time keeping it responsive.

Dave
  • Reply 37 of 73
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Stories floated around at one time about matched memory chips providing better system performance than non-matched chips in Intel-based computers. I don't have much recollection of the details, though.

Question: The new base mini comes with a free memory slot. Is it a mistake to buy a 1GB RAM mini and then add a 2G memory chip to total 3GB? Or is it better to add only a 1GB chip to an existing 1GB configuration to make 2GB?

Thanks,
  • Reply 38 of 73
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I've seen enough brown butt splices in my life to understand that they are not the device to run power though.

TMI! TMI!

And auxio, there is in fact a persistent subgroup of Mac power users, including some moderators here and veteran pundits/techs like Andy Inahtko, who want to buy something from Apple that can be hacked up like your Linux boxes. I don't understand it either; I use Macs for the same reason you do.. But there it is.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:

That's good to know. Is there a mini- dvi to HDMI connector available now?

Monoprice has one for just under $10!

• Reply 40 of 73
    Well one little thing they pointed out was that the "cheap" Mini does in fact automatically assign 256MB to video when upgraded to 2 GB. This is what I thought, but I'm glad to see now it has actually been proven.

This means, basically, that there is only one Mini. You buy it configured as you think is best for your needs.