New QuickTime Player, Cocoa Desktop in latest Snow Leopard beta

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

You mean "fast-passed tech environment" (compound modifier hyphenation) and "misspelt."

"Misspelled" is actually a valid alternative spelling. You're correct about the other rule, however.

Now, can we please start talking about Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 62 of 70
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

"Misspelled" is actually a valid alternative spelling. You're correct about the other rule, however.

The other rule might be correct but I'm pretty sure "fast-passed" isn't a valid compound word. "Fast-paced" would be correct.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin

You mean "fast-passed tech environment" (compound modifier hyphenation) and "misspelt."

• Reply 63 of 70
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That's one interface to QuickTime, but no I'm sure they mean the QuickTime client itself.

So am I. I was just trying to figure out what they were gonna do to that QuickTime. To strip its user experience down to somewhat like FrontRow, widgets or QuickLook? To rid (completely? partially?) QuickTime of video editing features? What else?
  • Reply 64 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

So am I. I was just trying to figure out what they were gonna do to that QuickTime. To strip its user experience down to somewhat like FrontRow, widgets or QuickView? To rid (completely? partially?) QuickTime of video editing features? What else?

It surely won't work like FR since that is just la simple player that takes up the whole screen. There are reports of interface tweaks, but the major changes coming to QT should be a complete and long overdue overhaul of the entire app and its associated frameworks an components. Things the average user won't see.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It surely won't work like FR since that is just la simple player that takes up the whole screen. There are reports of interface tweaks, but the major changes coming to QT should be a complete and long overdue overhaul of the entire app and its associated frameworks an components. Things the average user won't see.

Then how should we read this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Among the changes developers will see in the latest beta is a completely redesigned QuickTime Player -- believed to be QuickTime X Player -- which sports "a new minimal user interface*focused predeominately on playback," those people say.

Developers see it right now for it is beta and is seeded only to them. But I believe everyone is gonna see that minimal user interface one day...

UPD: Who else has minimal user interface? RealPlayer I dare say...
  • Reply 66 of 70
    we seem to have gotten some hint as to what that new user interface would be... QuickLook indeed.

• Reply 67 of 70
    drudru Posts: 43member
    Any chance "Put Back" will exist beyond the Trash like in Classic versions did?

It used to be if you put a file on the desktop you could select "Put Away" (or "Put Back") and it would be returned to its prior location.

"Put Away"/"Put Back" has been with the Mac since 1984 until 9.2.2 was put to rest.

A different "Put Away," analogue to File -> Close, was part of the Lisa.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Then how should we read this?

Developers see it right now for it is beta and is seeded only to them. But I believe everyone is gonna see that minimal user interface one day...

UPD: Who else has minimal user interface? RealPlayer I dare say...

Read it as it is, just don't read into it. Pretty much every major UI change Apple has done, even the recent tabs and blue progress bar of Safari 4, have PLIST options to revert back to the old method. But this is still in the works with many things missing from making it even close to a completed app.

Quote:

we seem to have gotten some hint as to what that new user interface would be... QuickLook indeed.

image: http://www.thequantumbyte.com/wp-con...quicktimex.png

That is not how it looks, unless that is from a newer version than what is available in 10a286.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dru View Post

It used to be if you put a file on the desktop you could select "Put Away" (or "Put Back") and it would be returned to its prior location.

"Put Away"/"Put Back" has been with the Mac since 1984 until 9.2.2 was put to rest.

It doesn't look that way. It would be nice to be able to jump back, though I am not sure of how useful it would be.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dru View Post

I second this! That was nice, back in the OS 9 and earlier days!

Another weird thing they took out. It annoys me for approx. 5 seconds it wastes by not being there about once a day. Sheesh just add it back already.

New QT using less space for the window is good.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is not how it looks, unless that is from a newer version than what is available in 10a286.

No, it's surely not. Yet the guy provided quite suggestive artistic mockup earlier, than anyone else, IMO.