mac pro 2009 ram alternatives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know that OWC and Transintl both sell kits up to 32GB ram. I was looking to put in 32GB ram in my newly ordered mac pro 2009. I expected the ram prices to be somewhere near the 32GB kit price of the previous mac pros at OWC but they are more then double.

Does anyone know of a brand I could purchase maybe elsewhere (8GB kits) and just get 4 of those requesting they be from the same lot.

Just looking for other alternatives then 2 stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dage007 View Post

I know that OWC and Transintl both sell kits up to 32GB ram. I was looking to put in 32GB ram in my newly ordered mac pro 2009. I expected the ram prices to be somewhere near the 32GB kit price of the previous mac pros at OWC but they are more then double.

Does anyone know of a brand I could purchase maybe elsewhere (8GB kits) and just get 4 of those requesting they be from the same lot.

Just looking for other alternatives then 2 stores.

Well it isn't actually clear what memory you can use yet. Technically you should be able to use DDR3 PC3-8500 ECC Registered DIMMs (RDIMM) or DDR3 PC3-8500 ECC Unbuffered DIMMs (UDIMM). Apple are likely using unbuffered memory for the 1GB and 2GB DIMMs they are selling as it's cheaper. There are currently no 4GB UDIMMs available from retail channels but remember that the platforms they are intended for aren't released yet.

You can buy 4GB RDIMMs from Crucial for $187 each. So $1,496 for 32GB.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

Well it isn't actually clear what memory you can use yet. Technically you should be able to use DDR3 PC3-8500 ECC Registered DIMMs (RDIMM) or DDR3 PC3-8500 ECC Unbuffered DIMMs (UDIMM). Apple are likely using unbuffered memory for the 1GB and 2GB DIMMs they are selling as it's cheaper. There are currently no 4GB UDIMMs available from retail channels but remember that the platforms they are intended for aren't released yet.

You can buy 4GB RDIMMs from Crucial for $187 each. So $1,496 for 32GB.

thanks.

Do you happen to have the part number for that module so i can look it up or where you go that price. I might go ahead and purchase my 32GB that way.