Would-be iPhone developers "pulling their hair out by the roots"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foolinator View Post

That is why I am developing my first app on Android, not the iPhone. Though, I am not a stellar developer - so I am sure Apple won't be missing me!

I've got over 2.5GB of Apps installed on my iPhone and spend $20 or more a month on them, can you install applications for Android on the memory card yet?

I don't think I could handle being restricted to 256MB of phone memory.

You do the math, how many applications can an Android user install?

What happens when their memory is full?

I've got over 100 Apps, variety is the spice of life.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    shavexshavex Posts: 34member
    You know what, F Apple and F the AppStore! The open source/jailbreak world has taken a pole and shoved it up Steve Jobs a** recently by releasing the Cydia Store. No more limits, no more Hitler restricting what you can or can't sell, this is a free market economy last I checked and Apple has become the industrial Titanic! I cant wait to watch it sink!
  • Reply 23 of 62
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Obviously they didn't fire the dotMac/MobileMe exec - they merely put him in charge of the iPhone Apps. Come on Apple hire more people to take up the demand! You got one guy working on this in a basement with no windows or what? Hey Steve, Ballmer's laughing his ass off!
  • Reply 24 of 62
    evwebevweb Posts: 1member
    I find it funny how most people comment saying Apple should do this or that, while knowing quite well what Apple's view on most things is, "We do it our way, and to h*** with the rest of the universe." Also, I really don't get jail breakers, I mean, you obviously don't like how the iPhone works if you're going to the trouble of messing with it like that, so why buy one? I mean it's like taking a Mustang and then changing everything except the outer skin into a Dodge Challenger. Yeah, makes perfect sense...
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shavex View Post

You know what, F Apple and F the AppStore! The open source/jailbreak world has taken a pole and shoved it up Steve Jobs a** recently by releasing the Cydia Store. No more limits, no more Hitler restricting what you can or can't sell, this is a free market economy last I checked and Apple has become the industrial Titanic! I cant wait to watch it sink!

Yeah, too bad WebKit isn't open source...

...oh hang on.

H8tr express has been delayed.

Do you think Apple should join the push to force people to use Adobe products?

By allowing Flash or Flash Lite.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

I don't want anything developed by you, that is for sure.

Go away and don't darken our doors again, what an idiot!
  • Reply 27 of 62
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Dumbest comment in this thread.

You do realize that the kind of "freedom" you espouse is exactly what plagues Microsoft. No control over the user experience = shitty user experience.

And as for the economy, it's looking very much like Apple would be the LAST to "sink."

You can go crawl back under your bridge now. Better yet, go grab yourself a Windows Mobile product. I'm quite sure Apple doesn't need you, LOL. Users like you end up causing more harm than good.

And that Cydia Store's day's are probably numbered . . .
  • Reply 28 of 62
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EVWeb View Post

I find it funny how most people comment saying Apple should do this or that, while knowing quite well what Apple's view on most things is, "We do it our way, and to h*** with the rest of the universe."

And that view has been working out beautifully so far. It's what saved Apple. In most cases, Apple does indeed know best. At least over the past few years. I'm quite content to let them continue having their way. It seems they know something the rest of the industry doesn't.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

Too bad Apple ain't going nowhere, sucks for you.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Soooo while you read / receive mails about people that b*tch about the process taking forever... you start to think it affects alot of devs out there.

I'm in Canada and the whole process for the contracts and stuff took rougly a week. And that was a 3-4 weeks ago. So I'm calling BS on that. I'm pretty sure for most people the process is running smoothly.

Don't like it? Go develop for the Samsung Store or the Nokia Store or whatever. Geez.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I've got over 2.5GB of Apps installed on my iPhone and spend $20 or more a month on them, can you install applications for Android on the memory card yet?

Yet is the key word in that phrase. I'm sure that applications will be installable to the memory card soon.

Quote:

I've got over 100 Apps, variety is the spice of life.

How many do you actually use? I've tried quite a few apps but I keep coming back to the same small subset. I don't like my device getting into a big mess of icons. I think I've got three apps installed on my iPod touch.

I wonder what Apple's response will be to the other app stores. Potentially, the developer base for Android, Windows Mobile or Symbian could be far greater since they'll have Windows-based development tools. Would we ever see XCode for Windows in the same way that the iPod eventually resulted in iTunes for Windows?
  • Reply 32 of 62
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Umm... how exactly does pull one's hair out *by the roots*? Surely one pulls the other end.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

This isn't about that. It's about Apple potentially destroying the developer mindshare it brilliantly created when it opened the app store. Being a first-mover is key, but if another platform becomes more attractive to developers, it will take over. Apple should be KISSING THE BUTT of every iPhone developer, and spend copious cash on making sure the approval process is quick and transparent. This is really foolish on Apple's part and makes me wonder if they are really as well managed as it has seemed over the past eight years.

Anyone have data on how many applications they are still receiving, or what kind of applicants? If we have 9 & 12 year olds developing apps then it scares me a little to think of what sort of applications Apple is having to sift through.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yet is the key word in that phrase. I'm sure that applications will be installable to the memory card soon.

How many do you actually use? I've tried quite a few apps but I keep coming back to the same small subset. I don't like my device getting into a big mess of icons. I think I've got three apps installed on my iPod touch.

I wonder what Apple's response will be to the other app stores. Potentially, the developer base for Android, Windows Mobile or Symbian could be far greater since they'll have Windows-based development tools. Would we ever see XCode for Windows in the same way that the iPod eventually resulted in iTunes for Windows?

I use most of them, it's good to revisit some of the games's the fart App I've got keeps young kid's amused so the keep out of trouble, I use VOIP and IM, the Nightstand replaces my clock radio as do Internet radio streaming Apps, I touch up photo's before posting them or emailing them.

As I said variety is the spice of life.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Dumbest comment in this thread.

You do realize that the kind of "freedom" you espouse is exactly what plagues Microsoft. No control over the user experience = shitty user experience.

And as for the economy, it's looking very much like Apple would be the LAST to "sink."

You can go crawl back under your bridge now. Better yet, go grab yourself a Windows Mobile product. I'm quite sure Apple doesn't need you, LOL. Users like you end up causing more harm than good.

And that Cydia Store's day's are probably numbered . . .

touche!
  • Reply 36 of 62
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    this delay "STIFLE INNOVATION" ?!

Give us all a break 25,000 apps and because a few developers have to wait innovation is going to die?????

This drama and expectation for instant attention are absurd and unreasonable.

Nothing will happen if these poor souls have to wait till they get processed.... instant gratification leads to obesity. Chill.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member
    This is trivial. The contract length is a single number in a template somewhere. Change it. Kinda like adding months to MobileMe as a concession. Odds are they will figure it out. So how many actual developers are there in a rage as opposed to the one source for this article?
  • Reply 38 of 62
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Well if Apple's ship sinks then you wont have to worry about the AppStore, because there wont be any more iPhones to install apps on...
  • Reply 39 of 62
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EVWeb View Post

Also, I really don't get jail breakers, I mean, you obviously don't like how the iPhone works if you're going to the trouble of messing with it like that, so why buy one?

No offense, but are you retarded?

"Go to the trouble of messing with it" -- do you mean downloading a couple of files, and running an app? A process that takes all of about 15 minutes including the d/l time?

Great first post!

• Reply 40 of 62
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to make native iPhone applications. Nobody needs native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.