Boot Camp XP Error...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Help!

I'm still stuck using Quickbooks in Windows XP and XP just started crashing. I'm getting messages at startup that say....

Winlogon.exe - Unable to locate component Shell32.dll could not be found......

Services.exe - ""

Lsass.exe... ""

I have the old XP disk SP2... and can't remember how to boot from the disk in bootcamp. I think I need to boot from the disk to restore the shell32.dll file.

I'm not sure tho.... I'm no longer the geek that I once was.

Can anyone help me with my options? I'd prefer to restore the program rather than re-install. I'm worried about having to re-do a month's worth of accounting since the only backup I can find is from a month ago. Also I think I can copy the quickbooks file from the partition since it is read-only, but I'm not sure which file it is.

Anyone got an idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Have you tried booting to safemode? After you choose to boot to windows, tap the F8 key periodically until the option to start in safe mode appears. At that point you might at least be able to back up the Quickbooks Data.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

Help!

I'm still stuck using Quickbooks in Windows XP and XP just started crashing. I'm getting messages at startup that say....

Winlogon.exe - Unable to locate component Shell32.dll could not be found......

Services.exe - ""

Lsass.exe... ""

I have the old XP disk SP2... and can't remember how to boot from the disk in bootcamp. I think I need to boot from the disk to restore the shell32.dll file.

I'm not sure tho.... I'm no longer the geek that I once was.

Can anyone help me with my options? I'd prefer to restore the program rather than re-install. I'm worried about having to re-do a month's worth of accounting since the only backup I can find is from a month ago. Also I think I can copy the quickbooks file from the partition since it is read-only, but I'm not sure which file it is.

Anyone got an idea?

• Reply 2 of 2
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    put the windows disk in & boot. hold C. if that doesn't work, hold option at boot & select the Windows CD when it shows up on the screen.