iTunes streaming question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I stream music from an FM station with Airport Extreme N and my notebook which is wirelessly connected to Airport Extreme---

It streams from the notebook to an Airport Express to the stereo--

I get a lot of interruptions, lose the signal and have to restart iTunes on a regular basis--BUT

if I plug a computer DIRECTLY into the Airport Extreme and then wirelessly send the signal to

my Airport Express it works fine, with no interruptions---

Can someone tell me what is going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    how do you have the base station & express set up mode wise? are you running G/N or N? is your express just G or is it a newer one (N compatible)?

Try putting all the devices on just N or G mode & see if that helps. I think you are killing the bandwidth of the radio when you are connecting the wireless notebook because it may be wanting to run in N mode while the express is in G mode.

the new base station solves this: it has an N radio & a G radio.

Also, try running the new software & firmware updates for the airport utility & the base station. I did, it really runs smooth & fast.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

how do you have the base station & express set up mode wise? are you running G/N or N? is your express just G or is it a newer one (N compatible)?

Try putting all the devices on just N or G mode & see if that helps. I think you are killing the bandwidth of the radio when you are connecting the wireless notebook because it may be wanting to run in N mode while the express is in G mode.

the new base station solves this: it has an N radio & a G radio.

Also, try running the new software & firmware updates for the airport utility & the base station. I did, it really runs smooth & fast.

My Airport Extreme is set as N/G and the Express is G--

I will do as you suggest and run them all as G because my computers are G--

I did do the software updates--

Thanks for the advice--
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    this will be under the manual setup in the airport utility. select the base station & click the manual setup button.

it's kinda buried, but it's there. under the wireless tab I think.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

this will be under the manual setup in the airport utility. select the base station & click the manual setup button.

it's kinda buried, but it's there. under the wireless tab I think.

I am running the Extreme as N/G ---the Express is G---

If I buy an N Express would I have better luck?---My computers are all G so I will have to run the

Extreme as N/G-
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

I am running the Extreme as N/G ---the Express is G---

If I buy an N Express would I have better luck?---My computers are all G so I will have to run the

Extreme as N/G-

I have decided to buy an Express N---hopefully to be able to get the latest software updates

and reduce the interference--and replace the Express G that I've been using--

I hope that that solves my problem of drop outs