Late rumor has iPhone 3.0 getting copy-and-paste, multitasking

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Multitasking with only 128M ram? They better be small tasks.

Maybe that's what they'll do - any bg task that exceeds a certain footprint gets automatically killed.

I can multitask pretty well on my old WinMob 2003 PDA, but methinks that the current iPhone OS is too bloated to do it very well, as that is several hundred MBs, and the WinMob OS fit in a 64 MB ROM. Not sure how much RAM either OS uses up, but I'm surprised how much faster 2003 is in comparison the iPhone 2.2 OS, on otherwise similar HW.

As it stands, when I do run multiple apps at once on my jailbroken 1G Touch, it's painfully slow, and kills the battery even faster.
  • Reply 62 of 138
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And thereby immediately kill most sales of current model between now and release?

Not a chance.

Last year they announced the new software at this same time of year. But they didn't confirm things like real GPS until the new hardware was announced in June.

History aside, I'd be surprised if they have multi-tasking on the 2009-only hardware and DON'T announce it now - if they have it at all. If they want to hold back info on the hardware I'd expect it to be something like a better camera or slimmer case or the storage capacities. or VZW!

Also, last year they let the channel run DRY before they announced the new hardware. TOTALLY dry, and probably before they would have liked to, given that they're quite adept at managing channel inventory.
  • Reply 63 of 138
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

He also hints that many of the software efforts in the year since iPhone 2.0 will bring the device up to the level of the Palm Pre, which while unreleased has a number of software advantages over Apple's platform. Notably, Rose made mention of "multitasking" before being interrupted during the segment. The Pre lets users tap a button to switch apps and lets owners launch apps without quitting the active program.

However, he also dampened hopes for video capture, explicitly warning that it wouldn't be part of the feature set for 3.0.

Either the iPhone was launched prematurely, before the OS contained the features that would make the iPhone more than a cute and expensive gadget, or the iPhone is underpowered. At this point, I am inclined to believe that both are true, i.e. the iPhone is underpowered and it's software is immature.

That the iPhone is underpowered should come as no surprise as it reflects the sorry state of Mac desktops (which carry older, slower, mobile, dual core Core 2 Duo CPUs instead of the newer desktop or mobile quad cores such as Core 2 Quads and Core i7).

To guarantee its 50% profit margins on iPhones, Apple is using older, cheaper, slower components which go against its new found description of the iPhone as a "gaming platform".

• Reply 64 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post
    • it had copy and paste when Windows Mobile 5.0 was available

Copy and Paste on an touch-screen interface requires different technology. Keyboard and Stylus interfaces face lesser challenges.

I think it's more of a philosophy issue rather than a technical issue. It is very interesting to think of iPhone's UI as the comeback of the anti-right-button philosophy, and indeed it is a very successful comeback compared to other smartphones that have a menu button which pretty much functions as the right button on the mouse.

The most challenging part for Apple is how can they work out a copy-and-paste while sticking with their philosophy on the iPhone and not coming up with some absurd/complicated gestures to invoke the copy-and-paste feature. Surely Apple can easily come up with a menu feature, maybe like tabbing the screen with two fingers at once or twice and it will invoke the menu.

Some people are discussing how iPhone can select texts? I'm not sure why this needs to be discussed because this is an already solved issue with the current touchpad technology on laptops. Yes, you can select a chunk of texts by just tapping one finger on the touchpad without the need of additional physical or virtual buttons.
  • Reply 65 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Your third post. You have already stated that you do …"not support the platform…"* and you "…hate Macs…"†

So if you are so smart, then why the hell are you here? You have everything you want.

I think I have a pretty good idea why, i.e., your company won't buy one for you. I wonder why.

* 1st Post: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...06#post1113806

† 2nd Post: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...296#post138729

My point is that when Apple gets rid of these limitations than I would consider an iPhone. I'm not paying $100 a month for 500 minutes. I signed up for SERO before they canned it. 1250 minutes, including unlimited text, picture, multimedia, taxes and EVDO Rev. A (Internet) support and insurance for $68 a month. I probably won't ever leave Sprint as long as I am on the SERO plan.

As for cost I would just Jailbreak an iPhone and run it off of T-mobile if I really wanted one. T-Mobile has an AWESOME new loyalty plan that's like $60 a month for a ton of minutes, data and text included. Consumerist.com had an article on it not too recently.

If I lose my iPhone I can expect to have my ass handed to me buying one without a contract. if I drop it, break it etc then it's a little hard to swallow the high cost of replacing it; what if it just stops working? These are not issues that I have on a Blackberry or an Windows Mobile/Symbian device. I just don't understand what AT&T/Apple's deal is with not allowing insurance; this is a GREAT feature to have for cell phone users. Our accountant had as much to do with the decision to not use iPhones as our IT team did.

All of our employees use Blackberry's or Windows Mobile devices due to the lower prices on the plans and how I can very much lock down the devices if they are lost and/or stolen. I particularity like the ability to remotely install/maintain/configure/lock down Blackberry devices; something I cannot do nearly as well with an iPhone. I appreciate that Apple has licensed Exchange Activesync so I can do a remote wipe, but without a user replaceable battery and other limitations the device is not enterprise ready. If a user has a dead one in the field I cannot just overnight him/her a battery or tell them top go to a cell phone store. They will have to be close to an Apple store and will receive a refurb while they fix (charge an arm and a leg) to replace the battery or they have to overnight it back to me so I can replace their battery for them and then I have to re-overnight it back to them. Having no cell phone for 3 days is unacceptable for an atorney who is working on a case in a remote city. I don't care about slim and sexy, I care about functionality and practicality. Having a soldered battery IS NOT PRACTICAL.

iPhones are decent for consumer use, but they have a long way to go before the enterprise can truly embrace them like they embraced the Blackberry.

Abster2core They didn't buy me an iPhone. They bought me a more expensive (but far cheaper plan) HTC Touch Pro. Before that I had a Mogul (HTC TyTn) running the XDA Developers DCD firmware (BTW, it's allot nicer than the bloated crap that Sprint loads onto the Mogul). SkyFire works very well as a web browser on the phone (it's a Virtual Machine running Firefox; it's pretty cool technology)

If you were an accountant for a major firm or company you would not be able to justify the cost of running iPhones (plan prices, lack of minutes, issues and problems getting discounts for multiple lines etc).

If you were an IT admin you couldn't justify the lack of security and control from an iPhone compared to a Blackberry. Remember, the data is far more valuable than the phone itself; I can completely encrypt a Blackberry or Windows Mobile phone using AES encryption, lock it down etc. I can password protect an iPhone, but Apple provides no encryption option (I'm talking end to end, not just PGP or individual apps: http://searchmobilecomputing.techtar...324084,00.html)

Apple could easily take over the enterprise with the iPhone, but many fundamental changes must be made before they could overtake Blackberry. My list in my previous post is just a small fraction of what they need to do. Locking the device down to just GSM carriers with exclusive contracts prevents full scale adoption.
  • Reply 66 of 138
    "bring the device up to the level of the Palm Pre"

The only things the Pre is supposed to have, that iPhone users might be interested in, are integrated chat and universal search.

'Multitasking' is just the new red herring. Presumably 'copy-paste' and 'physical keyboard' are tired.
  • Reply 67 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Some of you are discussing how iPhone can select texts? I'm not sure why this needs to be discussed because this is an already solved issue with the current touchpad technology on laptops. Yes, you can select a chunk of texts by just tapping one finger on the touchpad without the need of any physical buttons.

No, no it's not. Read the posts about us that stating it's an major hurdle. We have explained the pitfalls of trying to implement a desktop OS method on a finger gestured touchscreen.

Regarding you suggestion of using the trackpad to tap here is an example. You are currently in a web browser, if you want to copy a word I have to click two to get the word to highlight. But on the iPhone that would zoom the page. You can triple click to copy the whole line but you can't copy a part of word or certain words with that method. For that you'll need the accuracy of the mouse pointer and the holding of the mouse/trackpad button. As if that wasn't enough, you then have to be able to copy the text and then be able to paste it somewhere.

A more direct example... Try to copy only a few letters from the word below withOUT using the keyboard or pressing the physical mouse/button.
    • IMPOSSIBLE
  • Reply 68 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, no it's not.

Is this your habit of rejecting someone's idea without giving your reasoning? If you're talking about selecting texts with touch technology, it is an already solved issue and Apple didn't implement this solution on the iPhone. If you're talking about IP issues, then that's a different story.
  • Reply 69 of 138
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

"bring the device up to the level of the Palm Pre"

The only things the Pre is supposed to have, that iPhone users might be interested in, are integrated chat and universal search.

'Multitasking' is just the new red herring. Presumably 'copy-paste' and 'physical keyboard' are tired.

Is one of those tasks receiving/sending MMS pictures?
  • Reply 70 of 138
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

This is what I believe is going to happen according to Kevin Rose and the all the other rumors:

Copy & Paste will be revealed in the iphone 3.0 SDK this Tuesday.

Multitasking, video, and possibly MMS will not be revealed in Tuesday's SDK preview.

I do not believe so because the iphone 1.0 and iphone 3G simply does not have the hardware capability.

But multitasking, video and all the rest WILL come but not until June's iphone 3.0 announcement. That product will be based on new hardware.

I think that is reasonable. I bought the original iPhone (4gb) on day 2 so my contract expires this June. Multitasking would be great since I want to listen to Internet radio (Radio Paradise) while using other features. That alone would make it worth trading up to new hardware.
  • Reply 71 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's only the whiny tech-heads that live on internet forums that are willing to give their first-born for these features

No. it's not only WT-HTLOIF's.

I've seen many corporate surveys and interviews with CIO's, like the summary

http://advice.cio.com/al_sacco/apple..._what_they_got

The prime software userfeature CIO's demand appears to be C&P - for accuracy and efficiency.

The only other major items they want are remote management/security/troubleshooting/bricking, ATT to offer insurance, and that user-swappable battery which prolly won't happen. But if 3.0 and ATT bring the others, along with background-app push, RIM's corporate dominance could begin to get challenged.

ETA: OOPs, I see lakorai just said this as I was looking for a supporting link.
  • Reply 72 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:

New poster and a well thought out post. Welcome to AI! If you haven't seen this video, I recommend it as it does a fantastic job of detailing how Apple might implement copy/paste and what it must overcome to do so. Despite the posters that think it's a cake walk, this video clearly points out the difficulties yet it's made by the developer(s) that first brought an application with copy/paste to the iPhone.

Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 73 of 138
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think that is reasonable. I bought the original iPhone (4gb) on day 2 so my contract expires this June. Multitasking would be great since I want to listen to Internet radio (Radio Paradise) while using other features. That alone would make it worth trading up to new hardware.

They might solve this issue by allowing iTunes to finally stream Radio on the iPhone.
  • Reply 74 of 138
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Some people are discussing how iPhone can select texts? I'm not sure why this needs to be discussed because this is an already solved issue with the current touchpad technology on laptops. Yes, you can select a chunk of texts by just tapping one finger on the touchpad without the need of additional physical or virtual buttons.

Laptops have mouse pointers to allow selection of any types of blocks, iPhone does not. Laptops do not employ tapping event to zoom, iPhone does.
  • Reply 75 of 138
    Quote:

If it's so simple, how do you implement it? Do you not realize that the controls you use to cut and paste on your PC are not going to work on the iPhone? It's a lot more than creating a Clipboard.

I'm not buying it...the incredibly advanced technology of the iPhone is in itself proof of the capability of Apple to implement the comparatively rudimentary process of copy/cut/paste.

A contemporary hand-held computer running a full version of OSX would have no difficulty in implementing a "clipboard" feature that was even available on Windows 3.1 and the original Mac OS?

It only requires the expansion of the gesture set with the addition of appropriate buttons to the UI to enable, at the very minimum, global text select, copy and paste.

When it is released, it will prove it's feasibility and that it was deliberately left out as a marketing device...a standard method of keeping people always wanting more, and then cashing in as the hero upon fulfillment. Jobs ain't anybody's fool when it comes to marketing to the flavor-aid followers...
  • Reply 76 of 138
    Quote:

Is this your habit of rejecting someone's idea without giving your reasoning?

No, no it's not, but the reasoning has been stated many times in this thread and others, but despite your unthought out example I did explain in my edit why it wouldn't work. I am all about the communication.
  • Reply 77 of 138
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I do not believe so because the iphone 1.0 and iphone 3G simply does not have the hardware capability.

But multitasking, video and all the rest WILL come but not until June's iphone 3.0 announcement. That product will be based on new hardware.

You do realize that tomorrow's event is just a preview of 3.0. SDK updates will probably be made available soon after, but the actual 3.0 iPhone software won't be released for iPhones until just before or after the next-gen iPhone ships.

So I expect tomorrow's event to tell us everything in 3.0 except for some items that would make known a specific hardware capability in the next-gen iPhone. And of course, not all of 3.0 will work on the original iPhones and iPhone 3Gs, due to hardware. I only hope that list is short.
  • Reply 78 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voltaic View Post

A contemporary hand-held computer running a full version of OSX would have no difficulty in implementing a "clipboard" feature that was even available on Windows 3.1 and the original Mac OS?

Again with the Clipboard! A Clipboard does not make copy/paste! I can't wait for copy/paste to be implemented tomorrow so some people will finally get an idea of how it will differ from a PC. Though I suppose after that people will complain about it being too complex to use.
  • Reply 79 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks for the link.

No problem. It's a pretty solid and I don't think Apple will be able to stray too far from what they propose in the video.
  • Reply 80 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lakorai View Post

Apple could easily take over the enterprise with the iPhone, but many fundamental changes must be made before they could overtake Blackberry. My list in my previous post is just a small fraction of what they need to do. Locking the device down to just GSM carriers with exclusive contracts prevents full scale adoption.

Some of the things you said in your earlier post are irrelevant to the enterprise market. For example, the fact that the phone has a physical keyboard or not is irrelevant to the enterprise. Tons of the business people that I know of are happy with the virtual keyboard on the iPhone. I actually type much faster on my iPhone than on my Treo 650. I've never had a Blackberry so I can't comment much on that, but I don't think it will make me type much faster than on my old Treo.

Second, doing decent quality video is even more irrelevant to the enterprise market. To me, you're just justifying your complaints on your second posts after you made the complaints.

Finally, locking the device is pain in the ass, but this has been the situation for years in the States and the majority of smartphones are locked. Don't get me wrong, I think that the US carrier's habit of locking phones are horrible and I agree with you on this. However, you somewhat over magnified the fact that iPhone is locked on to AT&T while not mentioning the fact that most smartphones out there are locked as well. In fact, most IT guys in big companies are not that concern about the locking issues, which to me is a bad thing.