Apple now offering HD movie purchases, rentals through iTunes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    720P, done right, is very good. I have a 720P monitor and I have to say that the picture when you feed the set a quality signal is nothing short of breathtaking.

I think the key for quality results is not waste bandwidth pumping out 1080P which is overkill for most uses but rather to ensure that the 720P version of the movie is done as well as it can. Do that and I think the vast majority of consumers ? many of whom have been perfectly happy with upconverted DVD ? will be very happy with the product.

My one question is, though, when will this option be available in Canada.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

When they attempt to sell digital downloads for a premium over physical and warehoused product.

I'm sorry but they will never attain the level of dominance with video that the music store shares at this ridiculous pricing.

There is no way i'm EVER paying $19.99 for a HD movie download. Let's go back to the drawing board and negotiate some realistic pricing.

Hmmm lets see.

720p video at 5Mbps

No extras and basic surround audio.

No subtitles

More difficult space shifting

$11.99-13.99 tops per movie.

I will because a 500GB HD in your MacBook Pro is enough to hold more than 50 Movies where you know 20 Blu-Rays is more room and weight. Plus LED Screens of MacBook and 24" Cinema LED is great looking!
  • Reply 43 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badNameErr View Post

No 1080p?

Yawn.

Even many of the people who have HDTVs would not benefit from 1080p. (Yes, some of us, including me, would benefit, but many would not.) They either have 720p sets, small screens, or sit too far away to be able to see that resolution anyway. Besides, at the bit rates that would be reasonable for download, I would MUCH rather have a higher quality 720p movie than an overly compressed 1080p. Even some iTunes standard def shows are a better overall quality than Comcast's 1080i broadcasts. The picture is a little soft, but I'd rather that than macro blocking artifacts, dropped frames, garbled sound, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

True. The pricing here seems quite silly.

Moreover: (i) Can one play this on an HD TV (say, via @TV) without physically hooking up the computer? (ii) Will DVD-burning be allowed?

Even for standard def movies, the purchase price of movies on iTunes has always been ridiculous.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Maybe I'm missing something...why are there HD movies available on the AppleTV which aren't available via iTunes? Are there two different HD movie libraries?
  • Reply 45 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Maybe I'm missing something...why are there HD movies available on the AppleTV which aren't available via iTunes? Are there two different HD movie libraries?

That depends how you define it. I'd say it's the same library, but that the iTunes app and the AppleTV have different access to the iTunes master purchase/rent library. Just like the iPhone OS has different access to the iTunes master library (ie: you can DL songs, but no video or audiobooks).

The AppleTV had access to HD video first so I'd guess that they are either having to add the iTunes app support manually to how the files are stored or that they have to ink ne deals with the content holders to allow them to be sold/rented in HD via the iTunes app on PCs.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    And, of course, Canada is left out again. Why is it always like this?
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Off the top of my head, I'd say it's because it's a different country with different rules and regulations.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    The good news is that now, adding HD to the Canadian iTunes is inevitable.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

$20? I can get the BD in all its 1080p video/lossless audio glory for that!

plus mega special features .....and not hog up your hard drive- HELLO?
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Well you do have the ice Hotel.

http://www.icehotel-canada.com/
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

I will because a 500GB HD in your MacBook Pro is enough to hold more than 50 Movies where you know 20 Blu-Rays is more room and weight. Plus LED Screens of MacBook and 24" Cinema LED is great looking!

So where then do you store your taxes on your MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

There's no problem with the Mac Mini and outputting HD video, as long as you have an HDCP compliant display. Your Mac told you this and yet you still think it's the Mini that's at fault?

No- its the iTunes Store fault . READ.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Glad it was fun since you're so wrong.

I use my AppleTV for spur of the moment rentals - when its late, or cold or rainy weather. I've used it when I'm sick as a dog and I download a whole season of a show because I'm feeling so miserable and the shows help me forget how miserable I am.

The music capability is underrated too. Hooked up to my stereo - shuffling the music - I can listen all day while I work at home.

There are those that pooh pooh it, but I wouldn't trade it.

And how exactly do you search your songs and repeat your videos?
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yeah right... The world is just beating down the doors to get that.

After having HD for the past 5 years, I've come to the realization that 1080p vs 720p (and even HD vs DVD quality) is becoming less and less of a driving force for me.

Unless a movie was specifically filmed/recorded digitally in ultra high resolution, AND there is something particularly stunning that I have to see in ultimate definition, I've found that I really don't care that much.

The fact is that for any movie that's really absorbing my attention, I am absolutely unaware of the resolution after about 5 minutes, if then.

I say again... the switch from VCR/AnalogTV to DVD quality was revelatory for most normal consumers. They are not seeing the subsequent switch to HD as something that is worth re-stocking their electronics and content for, and definitely not the top of their budget priorities, particularly in these times.

HD aficionados (particularly 1080p snobs) are way out of touch with the general market on this, and Apple knows it. They're right where they need to be for what they're trying to accomplish... becoming the digital hub for the market sweet spot.

You sound like the VHS people from 1997.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Previously, the AppleTV was the only place to get HD movies from iTunes Store, save for some HD podcasts. This option appeared with version 2.0 of the software known as Take2.

Please I'm trying to forget- must you keep reiterating it?
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Somebody OnThe Nets View Post

I can bite. The people that say " ALL of the movies I watch/buy are from iTunes because it is so darn convenient." are only blind Apple fanboys who don't own a proper entertainment system.

That was fun.

What's Sony got to do with it? Some of us just like movies and don't feel iTunes is adequate. I love Apple and all it's incarnations, but think there online content is lame except for the music. Now if they offered a subscription based movie rental system, that would be a different story.

Blu-ray looks amazing so it's hard to back peddle to digital download. That's all.

Never mind these fools.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That depends how you define it. I'd say it's the same library, but that the iTunes app and the AppleTV have different access to the iTunes master purchase/rent library. Just like the iPhone OS has different access to the iTunes master library (ie: you can DL songs, but no video or audiobooks).

The AppleTV had access to HD video first so I'd guess that they are either having to add the iTunes app support manually to how the files are stored or that they have to ink ne deals with the content holders to allow them to be sold/rented in HD via the iTunes app on PCs.

Interesting.

I just tried to browse through some of the current top rentals, and I'm getting the regular SD options and a tag "Also available in HD on AppleTV".

I assume they'll all be available shortly?

Or is there an actual different availability?

ps. I'm using a 2yo MBP - it plays Battlestar HD & Lost HD purchases fine on my TV via DVI/HDMI
  • Reply 58 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Somebody OnThe Nets View Post

I thought they dealt with that issue. I checked the Apple discussions forum and it looks to be a major problem still. Lame. I'd buy up more refurbed Mini's but mine doesn't play HD to well. The SD video plays fine though. So I guess the minis are stuck in a rut on HD. Damn. I hope they resolve this. I'd love to get a newer model.

The only option is Apple TV I guess.

What is with you Apple fan boys? Just buy a Blu-ray and enjoy the best video and audio possible.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DANIML View Post

What is with you Apple fan boys? Just buy a Blu-ray and enjoy the best video and audio possible.

Some of us don't want to pay for another player

Some of us want the convenience of a buy/rent once play anywhere system that doesn't require hacking to move to different devices.

Some of us don't want to have to drive out to a store to look for videos.

Some of use want an instant gratification of a a digital download. (This is why i'll pay more for Cable TV movie rentals)

Some of are always traveling and don't wish to carry an additional player and discs in our luggage.

Some of us don't care about about 50Mbps A/V.

Some of use don't care about the extras* on optical media.

* Have you read that the next move for the studios is to remove extras from rented optical media. While this is a dick move, I would have done this from the get go. VHS didn't have it and it would seem natural to make it an added bonus to buy a movie you really liked to see the extras. Now it's just lame.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DANIML View Post

You know what I'm sayin'?