App Store experts discuss the future of iPhone gaming

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Percentage wise to last year - Touch beats the iPhone.

So?

If the iPhone sold 100 million last year and 150 million this year and the iPod Touch sold 1 last year and 5 this year (50% vs 500% increase) woud you claim that the Touch is surpassing the iPhone? Knowing your post history, you probably would.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Please, do some research into the gaming industry. Before the NES was released, people thought that the entire gaming industry was dead and buried.

Yah, that was because Atari, Coleco and others all cratered in 1983...only a few years after the first great console extinction in the late 70s.

Nintendo is credited keeping the industry cooking in Japan and then bring back to US shores.

Quote:

The NES changed everything. It's only thanks to the NES that the industry was saved. Without it, gaming wouldn't be the biggest growth entertainment industry on the planet today.

Nintendo hasn't been out of the top three manufacturers in the past 25 years. That's an amazing achievement. I'm not a fan of the Wii but I respect Nintendo's contribution to the industry.

Well, after the top three the numbers fall off quite a bit. After the 2nd great extinction if you weren't in the top three you pretty much died the next cycle and the #3 player was often in danger of slipping down to #4 and next gen oblivion against a newcomer. Like Atari and the Sega. Had the Wii not been a success...you might be looking at a 2 horse race in the next generation with Nintendo going the way of Sega.

Arguably though, had it not been Nintendo, it could have been either Sega or Atari that restarted the industry.

Now Nintendo is sitting on a huge pile o' money and can either decide to invest in a true next gen console or risk having Apple in its lucrative casual market without a high end console. Apple also has a huge pile o' money, an interest in the living room and has both iPhone games and the iTunes lilbrary as aces in its hand.

If nothing else they risk Apple turning the casual game market from a $19.99-$49.99/game proposition to a $0.99-$19.99/game market. Apple doesn't care. They make money selling hardware.

Sony and MS doesn't care as much because their gamers are hard core and know that eye candy costs $$$. You can build a Wii Sport or Mario Kart game with a lot fewer devs and artists than CoD or GoW so selling fun casual for $1.99 form an indie shop is more than doable...especially if you're looking at DS-like numbers regardless of how crappy the attach rates are.

An indie FPS title is a lot less likely to be AAA level even starting with Torque Advanced and 3rd party art packs. But even a title like Super Monkey Ball or Super Mario Galaxy isn't out of the reach on an indie.

So if Apple shoots Nintendo's revenue stream in the head with low cost casual games neither MS and Sony will cry much. And Apple's indie iphone gamedev DNA (and game pricing) is much more in line with casual games than hardcore.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Please, do some research into the gaming industry. Before the NES was released, people thought that the entire gaming industry was dead and buried.

The NES changed everything. It's only thanks to the NES that the industry was saved. Without it, gaming wouldn't be the biggest growth entertainment industry on the planet today.

Nintendo hasn't been out of the top three manufacturers in the past 25 years. That's an amazing achievement. I'm not a fan of the Wii but I respect Nintendo's contribution to the industry.

I've been around all that time. The didn't resurrect anything. Gaming has always had its ups and downs. I don't remember anyone thinking the industry was dead and buried.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I refuse to get sucked into the in-app commerce where developers nickle and dime you to death. It does not take a genius to see that every developer is going to be doing everything possible to work in these micro payments into their apps and games.

I mean honestly, who wants 20 games on their iPhone/iPod Touch, each one of them asking for just a little bit of extra cash for a few new levels, features, maps, and so on into infinity. Anyone who thinks that developers are not going to abuse this is crazy.

Then there are those who claim that those developers will suffer a backlash from the community if they abuse in app commerce but have not paid attention to the amount of utter garbage people spend $.99 on without complaining. iFart or iThrowUp anyone?

In case I have not been clear, in app commerce is just evil and will quickly get out of control. Greed is just funny that way.

I disagree. App devs who are shortsighted will try to take advantage of their customers. Devs who are interested in long-term customers will be concerned about their reputation and offer buyers a great product for a reasonable price. The App Store is still new and the "gold rush" mentality will eventually fall to the same supply and demand trends of every established market. "Greedy" developers can't last and will quickly and easily be exposed. It makes no sense whatsoever to shortchange customers in this market.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I think he meant sales of the iPod touch are surpassing the iPhone, which is true, but I agree with you, the iPhone is more attractive. People with an iPhone have it on them all the time, whereas people with an iPod Touch don't have it on them nearly as much. Also, it is called iPhone gaming because this allows Apple to keep this category seperate in the consumers' mind instead of calling it iPod Touch gaming and getting it mashed in with iPod classic/nano gaming.

My iPod touch is with me everywhere I go. I still carry a cell phone (not an iPhone due to at&t) also... as a matter of fact, I only buy pants these days if they have pockets large enough for me to carry all of my gear.