Slow startup caused by "Configuring networks"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm a new member, so forgive me if this has been done to death already.

My Powerbook 667, running OSX 10.1.5, sometimes takes an age to start up because it's "configuring networks". As I never use networks, this is particularly annoying and wonder how this can be sorted.

I have ordered Jagoowierrrrrrr so maybe that'll do the trick. ( I drive a Fouooooorrrrd)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Chances are it's trying to get a reply from a DHCP server for internet access. I'm not certain how you stop this in X, but you can try looking under the Network preferences and setting the connection to manual.

Do you have an ethernet line connected into the computer?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    No, I use this computer for neither the internet nor networks. Its usage is for mobile recording, office stuff and some graphics.

Hence my feeling that something can be disabled.

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: ajaysongs ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    First, go into the Network system panel and, under the PPP/PPPoE tab, select Options. Make sure Connect on Startup is unchecked. If that doesn't work the download <a href="http://fly.to/infosoft/"; target="_blank">MOX Optimize</a>. In the More Settings panel under the System Files tab, select Global Startup Files, and disable Network.

• Reply 4 of 7
    Open System Preferences, and then the Network pane. In the Show menu, select Active Ports. Then uncheck all of the listed ports. This should help, if not completely fix, the problem.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ryang5ryang5 Posts: 22member
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>Open System Preferences, and then the Network pane. In the Show menu, select Active Ports. Then uncheck all of the listed ports. This should help, if not completely fix, the problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had the same problem, but only after updating from 10.1.4 to 10.1.5. The only port you have to shut off is the ethernet port. It just bothers me that I had no problem with this before 10.1.5. I'm hope 10.2 will fix this.

What's really weird is if I start my machine on my work network with the ethernet port on it's fine, it even boots fine after I disconnect from that network. When I hook it to my home network it hangs during start up even after I disconnect from that one. Very strange. So after I disconnect from my home network I just turn off the ethernet port and everythings fine. Just wish I didn't have to do that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    10.2 boots fast. I mean really fast. It is now competitive with my XP box, though I do believe the XP box is still faster
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks everyone ... I'll have a fiddle. Looking forward to 10.2.