Mac Pro GT120 or HD4870

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I've seen some posts about the possible SLI configuration on Windows. I'd like to buy a mac pro to get a decent gaming capabilities. I'm wondering what is better:

4x GT120 or 1xATI 4870?

I think the answer is quite obvious, quadro? Does the quad sli work on Vista? (I don't need it on OS X). I also know the GT120 is a bit crap but still 4x makes it theoretically faster than 4870?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You had to ask?

The 4870 beats the snot out of it. It it was a 130 and the 4850, the 4850 would do better at high resolutions.

But between the 4870 and the 120? No contest. The 120 is just a rebranding of some old Nvidia tech'. Shame on them.

Shine on 4870. Worth the extra £150-180 quid. By a mile.

Shame Apple didn't put a 1 gig of Vram on it.

LEmon BOn Bon.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    but from what I understand is that even in Vista, the Mac Pro doesn't do a true SLi. If it has to be SLi, the you will have to set up a traditional PC for that.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    From my past experience I learned something when it comes to mac. Take the more powerful card as possible.

So I ordered a single Nehalem 2,66 with a radeon HD 4870.

When I bought my quad G5, I made the mistake to take the regular geforce 6600. I should have taken the geforce 8800, but there was some extra delay.

As a result I was obliged to order in the USA a radeon 1900, because in France, this card did not existed in any store.

We mac user are not really happy with video card. That's a sad truth. So my advice is take the best video card avalaible even if you are not a gamer.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    The Mac Pro doesn't do SLI. Period. Multiple graphics cards on the Mac are for multiple monitors.