Barclays says Apple has more than doubled iPhone production

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Maybe they are ramping up, because they know something WE don't about China?

Skip
  • Reply 22 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

HW?

[...]

im mostly just excited for turn by turn GPS, 32GB, and picture messages... everything else is just icing.

HW = Hardware

You do know that turn-by-turn GPS will be an additional cost from a 3rd-party developer and that the maps will have to be loaded into the device because Google doesn't allow for turn-by-turn with their licensing.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple still has some things that others can't match, like capacitance multitouch screens and the iPhone/Mac ecosystem but the competition will be a lot more fierce.

G1 has capacitive screen. LG is baking phones with capacitive screens. Both RIM and Nokia have already what may be called ecosystems.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    smilingoatsmilingoat Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HW = Hardware

You do know that turn-by-turn GPS will be an additional cost from a 3rd-party developer and that the maps will have to be loaded into the device because Google doesn't allow for turn-by-turn with their licensing.

yeah, i think i heard it would be something like $25 per half of the united states... well worth it imo. and if i had a 32gb, i wouldnt worry too terribly much about the space.

HW makes sense, i just for the life of me could not read over it without saying "homework" in my head. which is obviously wrong...
  • Reply 25 of 61
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Don't they need 6-8 weeks for FCC approval? How much manufacturing do they do before they get approval? Other markets? Is the CE mark easier to get (not type-tested) than FCC? We should be seeing an announcement very soon if there is a June launch.

FCC approval can be done in secret.

Announcement is expected on June 8, the first day of Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC). Based on previous experience, it could be available for sale in the US (and possibly worldwide) on June 19, 26, or July 10.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

It could also be the fact that there are a lot more retailers carrying the iPhone than the previous two launches: namely wal-mart and best buy (two of the biggest retailers worldwide). Apple needs to be able to supply these retailers with the new iPhone as well. I find it hard to believe they would go back to just launching the 3.0 model at AT&T & Apple Stores.

Well said. Apple's points of sale for the iPhone are much wider than they were just a year ago. Add on top of that new markets, like an impending China release, and it comes as no surprise why they would be ramping up production by 2x. Even if Apple isn't going to be offering different "tiers" of the iPhone, 2x production for a single model would not be a stretch of the imagination given the iPhone's expanded reach.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And guess what? A memory bumped phone with a more powerful CPU and what we've already been shown of the new OS will be a kick-ass phone, and sell really well. It's only compared to imaginary phones that such releases ever seem disappointing.

i agree with you. but there are some things that can be dissapointing no matter how awesome the phone is. and mostly it comes down to the price (like stated above, it wont cost as much to build today what it cost 2 years ago, so drop the price, including the no contract price) the rest of the stuff that could actually disappoint me is all on the shoulders of ATT. for instance not including TxT messaging with a data plan... considering how TINY the data numbers are for TxT messaging... then it makes a tolerable $80 bill after taxes into a $100+ bill... that is getting harder and harder to swallow.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:

HW makes sense, i just for the life of me could not read over it without saying "homework" in my head. which is obviously wrong...

Haha, I did the same exact thing, although its been a couple of years since such a thing has been relevant to me, for better or for worse.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Haha, I did the same exact thing, although its been a couple of years since such a thing has been relevant to me, for better or for worse.

yeah, its only been 6 months here... i keep feeling like i have some kind of "project" i should be working on...
  • Reply 30 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Maybe they are ramping up, because they know something WE don't about China?

Skip

Supposedly, the deal has already been inked, with phones selling there from China Unicom.

While it isn't "official" yet. The company has info about them on its web site, and even had an Ad from its Shanghai branch.

We don't know if that's true yet, but it could be.

They have about 120 million subscribers.

There are estimated to be over 500,000 iPhones in China now.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

i agree with you. but there are some things that can be dissapointing no matter how awesome the phone is. and mostly it comes down to the price (like stated above, it wont cost as much to build today what it cost 2 years ago, so drop the price, including the no contract price) the rest of the stuff that could actually disappoint me is all on the shoulders of ATT. for instance not including TxT messaging with a data plan... considering how TINY the data numbers are for TxT messaging... then it makes a tolerable $80 bill after taxes into a $100+ bill... that is getting harder and harder to swallow.

How much texting do you do?

Why didn't you just go and get a plan for that? It starts at $5 a month.

We have three iPhones on the family plan. Unlimited texting for all three phones is $30 a month.

Unlimited for one would be $20.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How much texting do you do?

Why didn't you just go and get a plan for that? It starts at $5 a month.

We have three iPhones on the family plan. Unlimited texting for all three phones is $30 a month.

Unlimited for one would be $20.

yeah, after taxes and data and all the required stuff, with the 450 min plan, it comes to just over $80 a month (with no txting)... now i add the $20 txting, as its easier to get a hold of a lot of people who dont take phone calls all the time, or simply cant answer their phone often... and vice versa when someone is trying to contact me.

with my group of friends, it comes to something like 2500 txts a month some times. personally i dont send that many, however i do get people sending to me quite often. it all comes together to be over $100, which is steep for a cell phone, i keep it because of all the features that come with the device itself, but it could stand to be quite a bit cheaper month to month.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    What a big step backwards to remove Wi-Fi! Don't do it Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

I wouldn't expect a price drop of the iPhone anytime soon, unless of course you're talking about a different "tier" of the iPhone, which would invariably come with lesser technology than a higher tier counterpart. That is, by the way, how Apple justifies keeping the same prices for their products year after year, by constantly throwing in the newest techonology. As for TxT messaging, its not just AT&T; all carriers shamelessly gouge as it is well know that TxT messages are 100% pure profit (costs zilch) for the telcos. As a billions of dollars a year market, its no surprise how the telcos have managed to afford to beef up their networks drastically in recent years. Admittedly, AT&T is a bit more shameless than the rest, charging $20/mo. for unlimited (I think the last I knew Verizon was charging around $10 per month?). But I wouldn't expect this practice to change anytime soon. Its the bread and butter of the wireless industry \
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What a big step backwards to remove Wi-Fi! Don't do it Apple.

that would probably only be sold in developing countries.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

yeah, after taxes and data and all the required stuff, with the 450 min plan, it comes to just over $80 a month (with no txting)... now i add the $20 txting, as its easier to get a hold of a lot of people who dont take phone calls all the time, or simply cant answer their phone often... and vice versa when someone is trying to contact me.

with my group of friends, it comes to something like 2500 txts a month some times. personally i dont send that many, however i do get people sending to me quite often. it all comes together to be over $100, which is steep for a cell phone, i keep it because of all the features that come with the device itself, but it could stand to be quite a bit cheaper month to month.

I know there are taxes and fees added on. But the plan starts at $70 a month for 450 minutes without texting included. How do you get to over $100 without the texting being a big part of that?
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I wouldn't expect a price drop of the iPhone anytime soon, unless of course you're talking about a different "tier" of the iPhone, which would invariably come with lesser technology than a higher tier counterpart. That is, by the way, how Apple justifies keeping the same prices for their products year after year, by constantly throwing in the newest techonology. As for TxT messaging, its not just AT&T; all carriers shamelessly gouge as it is well know that TxT messages are 100% pure profit (costs zilch) for the telcos. As a billions of dollars a year market, its no surprise how the telcos have managed to afford to beef up their networks drastically in recent years. Admittedly, AT&T is a bit more shameless than the rest, charging $20/mo. for unlimited (I think the last I knew Verizon was charging around $10 per month?). But I wouldn't expect this practice to change anytime soon. Its the bread and butter of the wireless industry \

wasnt there a price drop between the first gen and the 3G? anyway, im not saying ATT would just drop TXT messaging, but they should start including it in their data plans, people are really starting to notice (there is actually a lawsuit about it now). they could still charge for TXT for non smart phones/people who dont already pay an extra $30 a month for data. i mean, im paying $50 a month extra to have Data on my phone... now in the end i barely justify it, but they could get a lot more poeple to jump on board if they just worked it a little differently.

isnt the monthly cost on the first gen iPhone less?
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

I know there are taxes and fees added on. But the plan starts at $70 a month for 450 minutes without texting included. How do you get to over $100 without the texting being a big part of that?

im saying that WITH the txting it is over $100. and the txting costs nothing for the company to give, so it shoudl be an included feature for all of those with data plans (no matter the phone)
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

im saying that WITH the txting it is over $100. and the txting costs nothing for the company to give, so it shoudl be an included feature for all of those with data plans (no matter the phone)

Then it would still be cheaper for you to just get the plan WITH texting, which is what I was saying.

It may cost the company almost nothing, but that's irrelevant. What does matter is what it costs us now. Maybe someday the costs will drop, but we have to deal with what we have in the present.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Then it would still be cheaper for you to just get the plan WITH texting, which is what I was saying.

It may cost the company almost nothing, but that's irrelevant. What does matter is what it costs us now. Maybe someday the costs will drop, but we have to deal with what we have in the present.

ok, im not sure what you mean "with the txting plan"

i posted "yeah, after taxes and data and all the required stuff, with the 450 min plan, it comes to just over $80 a month (with no txting)... now i add the $20 txting, as its easier to get a hold of a lot of people who dont take phone calls all the time, or simply cant answer their phone often... and vice versa when someone is trying to contact me."

the $20 txting is the $20 unlimited Txting plan.

i do have the txting plan, tahts what makes it over $100 a month...

Edit: also, i know its something we have to deal with, i originally just said i'd like to see TxT included in the data plan charge.