Why is the contrast Ratio so low on Cinema displays?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can someone answer this for me please. I've never owned a cinema display just so you all know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I'm not an expert, but from previous threads - Apple uses the higher quality S-IPS panels that have lower contrast ratio, but are better in every other way. This was written when the contrast ratio of IPS panels was 200:1, now they are 1000:1, the movie playback and black level problems are probably pretty hard to notice (I don't know, I have a cheap Dell monitor...):

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._23309079.html

"The IPS technology has always been better than TN+Film in terms of color reproduction and viewing angles. In fact, S-IPS matrices leave no chance to other LCD technologies in the color-reproduction quality. They have soft and pleasant colors, which are natural and close to high-quality CRT monitors. Thats why nearly all LCD monitors for professional work with color are based on S-IPS matrices, starting from relatively inexpensive to hi-end models of the Eizo ColorEdge series with integrated tools for custom hardware color-calibration.

The viewing angles are a treat after TN matrices: you cant notice any distortions of the image, sitting in front of an IPS matrix. Theres only one specific defect when youre looking at the screen from a side, black color acquires a characteristic violet hue (by the way, this defect allows telling an IPS matrix from any other), but the manufacturers are improving on this. In most cases, this is an insignificant defect anyway. Viewing angles are wider than PVA and MVA even and are signified by their listed specs commonly of 178/178 instead of 176/176. Only a guide on paper, but in reality, viewing angles are better on S-IPS based screens.

The only real problem of the S-IPS technology traditionally was the low contrast ratio (about 200:1, like that of an average TN+Film matrix). In means you see a dark gray instead of pure black. Thats not noticeable at daylight, but if youre working in a dimly lit room, you may be disappointed at the highlighting of the black color (coupled with the characteristic violet hue when youre viewing the screen from a side). Black depth was often a problem with S-IPS panels. However, contrast ratios have been improved significantly, and black depth is much better as a result. Whether or not black depth is as good as PVA / MVA panels is debatable, but technologies like Digital Fine Contrast DFC are helping to make blacks better as well. One area which remains problematic for modern IPS panels is movie playback, again with noise being present, and only accentuated by the heavy application of overdrive technologies."
  • Reply 2 of 2
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Oh that clears it up for me. Thanks a lot for the information.