Apple lands Xbox boss, Mac OS X 10.5.7, $999 MacBook Air deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yeah, but the article on this latest hire indicates he's going to work in one of Apple's education departments, which is odd.

K

Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    The MacBook air deal sounds good, but 'rebates' are notoriously difficult to actually get. I'd buy one, but I don't trust rebates; they are usually all but impossible to get.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

So it is really $1,199 that gets charged to your credit card. Then you wait around and see if $200 actually arrives in the mail later.

Pass.

While I understand your reluctance, you don't seem to understand just how a volume wholesaler works, and how low the margins are out there. They probably have to wait for Apple to reimburse them under some special arrangement, then they reimburse YOU. The tight credit markets have undoubtably hurt many wholesalers, and I doubt they have that kind of rebate cash on hand. Apple and others use this type of marketing to blow out inventory just prior to end-of-life announcements. It insulates Apple from taking hits about price reductions, etc., yet still lets the wholesalers do their thing.

Could you get burned? Sure, but MacMall and others still maintain pretty good ratings out there. Unless, of course, Bernie Madoff and Company is on the board of directors.

It's a bummer for the end user to have to wait for the rebate, but there it is.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

Given that the xbox hasn't made a dime of profit, and doesn't appear to in the future, I don't see that as a great hire.

Sheldon

Having the sudden death syndrome on (pick a ridiculously large number here) of the XBox hardware probably didn't help much.

But hey, to each their own.....
  • Reply 25 of 73
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

It's a bummer for the end user to have to wait for the rebate, but there it is.

It's not just the waiting. It if it was just that, they could just pop the "rebate" on your credit card when they get the $$$ from wherever. No, the problem with rebates is that they are difficult to gather all the information for, with annoying hoops to jump through.

WHY? Because they count on a huge percentage of people to be dazzled and excited about their new pruchase and forget to file. Or be confused about the process. Or to misplace some necessary paper. Or to worry that cutting out a UPC from the box will impact the warrentee...

I do not purchace from MacMall anymore because their best price always depends on rebates. I go to Amazon or straight to Apple with the Education Discount. Maybe I loose a little $$, but I don't have to be annoyed by rebates...
  • Reply 26 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I Hate Rebates

I never send in rebates. I can't stand the concept of them and don't even bother with the hassle. I almost sent in a $100 rebate for my AT&T Sierra Wireless 3G card, but when I finally decided to do it a year had passed. Well past the 30 days from time of receipt required to get a refund.

• Reply 27 of 73
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

The MacBook air deal sounds good, but 'rebates' are notoriously difficult to actually get. I'd buy one, but I don't trust rebates; they are usually all but impossible to get.

I can't recall ever having a problem with a rebate. I'm sure I have but it's probably been several years ago. Heck, Apple practically has their "$100 off on a printer with a Mac" rebate it in the mail before you get home from the Apple Store.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

troll much?

metal gear solid 4 for the win!
  • Reply 29 of 73
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:

So it is really $1,199 that gets charged to your credit card. Then you wait around and see if $200 actually arrives in the mail later.

Pass.

Ha ha ha. True. Plus you get taxed on $1199 not $999 and you don't get that back.

With regard to apple,profits and fearing of cheap products, that if someone can del an air for $999, you know the device cost $300 at best, to manufacture. We're finally seeing a closer pricing for a product. Apple already marks up hugely and they will either have to refresh new models to have 4 cores or buid a netbook that is limited.

With Intel as their partner, know one here actually believes Apple pays retail for their CPU's I hope. The entire product line could be reduced 30% and Apple woud still turn a decent profit. Time to see some mid range i7 machines. Stronger than iMac line, upgradeable, 4 and 8 core. Move the Mac Pro to 16 cores.

Either way, it looks like we, the consumer/pro user will be getting price breaks. The Air was the most over priced. Next will probably be Mac Pro and then all laptops. Ironically, if Apple had computers that ranged from $299 (mini), to $699, mid range, headless, they would have at LEAST double the marketshare.

Good luck Apple. Hope it all works out.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Pass.

I know-right? I hate those friggin' rebates. Besides, that 1st Gen MBA was slow as molasses and video challenged- forget it.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

Given that the xbox hasn't made a dime of profit, and doesn't appear to in the future, I don't see that as a great hire.

Sheldon

Apple is sitting on billions of dollars of cash to piss away like Microsoft is doing with many of its products (xbox and Zune come to mind).
  • Reply 32 of 73
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

Yeah, but the article on this latest hire indicates he's going to work in one of Apple's education departments, which is odd.

K

It's not odd if he has a non-compete clause with Microsoft. Usually those are for one year so we might see him get reassigned after that non-compete expires.

Apple needs to carry the iPhone gaming craze to the AppleTV somehow someway. The AppleTV needs a hardware update though for that.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

With Intel as their partner, know one here actually believes Apple pays retail for their CPU's I hope.

Here, when people talk chip prices, I think they keep it in the wholesale frame of mind, referencing the publicly known 1000 piece bulk pricing. I am skeptical that the bucket of parts for the Air is $300, and the BOM breakdown ignores a lot of the costs associated with the product.

Quote:

The entire product line could be reduced 30% and Apple woud still turn a decent profit

If your definition of decent is "a little", then maybe. 30% is about their net profit per their 10Q reports. They'll make some on increased volume, but I doubt that much. I also doubt that would quell the pricing complaints. Besides, they're still growing a lot despite selling a luxury product in a down economy, they have no need to cut their margins yet.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:

About 6 months ago I bought a hard drive from MacMall that had 2 rebates on it.

I am still waiting for both of them.

But you might get lucky, I have gotten rebates from them before.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It's not odd if he has a non-compete clause with Microsoft. Usually those are for one year so we might see him get reassigned after that non-compete expires.

I don't know if a noncompete is relevant. Didn't already come up with that guy from IBM? He's supposedly already started work at Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

K

As I am French speaking, I noted that Apple's Vice-President for system software (?), Bertrand Serlet, lives in Paris, France. This has led me to believe that Mac OS X is developped as a multinational effort, partly in Cupertino, but partly also in Paris, France, and maybe elsewhere.

Besides accomodating software engineers and their families, there are corporate tax incentives, lower office and housing costs, and the added secrecy of no one having a feature complete, market ready copy of the software being developped.

For instance, software and game developpers like Google and Ubisoft have local software development teams in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

What I am saying is that the X-Box engineer could be working on an Apple TV, Newton pad, iPhone, iPod or Mac OS X gaming initiative right from Europe.

• Reply 37 of 73
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Xbox director quits for Apple

Microsoft's Xbox strategy boss Richard Teversham has quit the company after 15 years to assume a new role in Apple's European offices related to education.

Am I the only one who finds it a little uncomfortable with apple wooing MS execs? I know there's a little thrill of one-upsmanship. But imagine if the tables were turned and MS was hiring away apple execs?
  • Reply 38 of 73
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Assuming it's his fault. I think MS is in it for the long haul, if they weren't convinced of the project's long term viability, they would have dropped it like Ultimate TV or their networking hardware.

It was a fiasco, but I thought they have a warranty extension set up for that. You can get it fixed for free, I heard they even send you the shipping box & prepaid label.

But the PS3 is pretty nice too.

Here is the deal, soon after I upgraded the system software to NXE (New XBox Experience) It was downhill for me....apparently this changes the 3 Rings to a 1 Ring of Death. MS doesnt cover the 1 Ring. So to all...beware. I was able to "towel" it to work just enough to trade it in for the PS3.

I cant tell you guys enough, how glad I am with the PS3.....Graphics are so much more fluid and realistic. Its amazing.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I cant tell you guys enough, how glad I am with the PS3.....Graphics are so much more fluid and realistic. Its amazing.

Really? Which games? Because for games where there are versions for both platforms, the 360 versions constantly look better - and there isn't exactly a huge library of sony exclusives these days \ And don't take my word for it - there have been many articles/commentaries along those lines in the gaming world.

Yes, I own both. 360 as my primary gaming console, and the PS3 primarily for Blue Ray (which I now regret given Netflix hiking the cost of BR rentals - greedy sony bastards and their licensing fees). Most of the hardware problems for the 360 are long gone. Yeah, they still have some issues, but for having shipped millions of consoles, they are relatively few now. I have an original elite, and it's chugging along just fine. I like the new dashboard too. Live kicks the crap out of sony's pathetic attempts at online services (bolted on afterthoughts). You can hate on MS all you want, but the 360 is a good platform. Heck, it's been the bright shining star for MS, carrying their other divisions the last couple of quarters. Guess even the 360 couldn't help them this quarter...
  • Reply 40 of 73
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I can't recall ever having a problem with a rebate. I'm sure I have but it's probably been several years ago. Heck, Apple practically has their "$100 off on a printer with a Mac" rebate it in the mail before you get home from the Apple Store.

a rebate from Apple and a rebate from some web seller are 2 far different things. The web sellers bank on you NOT being able to get rebates. They already have your money so there is no good reason for them to really try to get your rebate. They have every incentive to come up with reasons to not give you a rebate. Anyone who depends on a rebate from a web seller is overly optimistic and deluded.