Apple lands Xbox boss, Mac OS X 10.5.7, $999 MacBook Air deal

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You can still get the MacBook Air 1.8 GHz 80 GB drive for $1,099 refurb at Apple.

My wide does not appreciate you pointing that out for me.

I have a new MB. I love it. I have two batteries for long flights or 12 hour days. However, the air is just cool and prices like that get me thinking. I want a 10" MB with replacable battery. If Steve would let me know, I could purchase today if that was not coming.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I too have left the Xbox after experiencing the dreaded RROD.

I just purchased a PS3....wow this system is so much nicer.

MGS4 FTW!

MSTK2000 Forever!!!!

And I am so jealous because swmbo (she who must be obeyed) will only allow a wiitard in the house due to the children.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

So it is really $1,199 that gets charged to your credit card. Then you wait around and see if $200 actually arrives in the mail later.

Pass.

Yes you pay the price before rebates, but as long as they receive the form and required proofs of purchase before the cut off date they promptly will mail you a check. If they get it past the cut off date though you are sol (sadly out of luck). I have done this several times and yes they are reliable on the rebates although it feels a little Dellish to me.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

About 6 months ago I bought a hard drive from MacMall that had 2 rebates on it.

I am still waiting for both of them.

But you might get lucky, I have gotten rebates from them before.

Ahh Dude...just a guess but I bet you screwed something up and are not getting them or they think you screwed something up and are not getting them. If I were you I would give them a call. In my experience they are no where near that slow.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    The news that Apple is readying a capable video-hardware expert team is promising. For the majority of the companies out there that could mean that the management decided to expand into a new market or make their products more competitive in certain area, video capabilities in this case. To make this, they just throw money and get experts from the competition.

Apple does not play this game. Most likely it went like this:

They had an idea first, an idea about something new, or done in a different way. Then SJ/the management decided that they should go ahead and make it a reality. To make this, they found that they need more experts. The most intriguing part is: what is the idea behind all this video-related head hunt?
  • Reply 66 of 73
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Here is the deal, soon after I upgraded the system software to NXE (New XBox Experience) It was downhill for me....apparently this changes the 3 Rings to a 1 Ring of Death. MS doesnt cover the 1 Ring. So to all...beware. I was able to "towel" it to work just enough to trade it in for the PS3.

Incorrect info. They now do cover the "one ring", which is called E74 error.The reliability IS a disgrace but there really is no better gaming experience out there on consoles right now. (And no, they are not as good as a gaming pc.) More games, and XBox Live give it the edge. Just get a store warranty so you don't have to bother shipping it elsewhere if you have problems.

Quote:

I cant tell you guys enough, how glad I am with the PS3.....Graphics are so much more fluid and realistic. Its amazing.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the two. Too similar. Comparisons between multiplatform games by different websites, however, have actually said the graphics edge goes to the Xbox 360. Devs have a better time coding for it.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:

I recommend MGS4...it blew me away. Ive been a long time 360 fan. Had my original system for 4 years. Played many of games. But since moving to PS3 I feel its so much more fluid. Try MGS4.

Be prepared for God of War 3.....

Tides are turning in my opinion.

God of War has been pushed to 2010. This pattern of heavily delayed PS3 games just proves the point of it being a pain to dev for. Tides won't turn enough in this generation of consoles. Sony needs to rethink their next console offering.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

And for a moment I thought it meant an Apple gaming console is in the works.

It would be sheer stupidity to try and jump into the console wars.Too competitive right now. They should focus on games as add-ons to devices that do other things well (like the Touch).

Even sweeter would be making the macs better at running the hotter PC type games.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

High-end consoles rarely make profit on hardware, but with much lower games pirating, they nicely balance that with software sales. MS is also charging subscription for one or more of their Live! services.

Last time I have checked, numbers on sold 360 consoles and software sales were pretty good.

Xbox Live is a big time profit maker. All the movie rentals and tv shows add up as much as the desktop themes.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    dmapacketdmapacket Posts: 4member
    What the hell was Apple thinking?

Any sane exec would have balked at hiring someone associated with the 8 year long and 8+ billion dollar Xbox fiasco. Microsoft is the laughing stock of game development world.

Not exactly the way you attract developers to your platform and give an air of confidence - especially after your company is already associated with failures like the Pippin and the paltry Mac games market.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMAPacket View Post

What the hell was Apple thinking?

Any sane exec would have balked at hiring someone associated with the 8 year long and 8+ billion dollar Xbox fiasco. Microsoft is the laughing stock of game development world.

Not exactly the way you attract developers to your platform and give an air of confidence - especially after your company is already associated with failures like the Pippin and the paltry Mac games market.

Welcome DMAPacket!

I am glad that we have one more person on these forums that is much smarter than the Apple execs

Besides the questionable statement regarding the 8+ billion dollar Xbox fiasco, do you have, say, insider info on:

- what are the guy's actual expertise and contribution to the Xbox development/marketing?

- what are Apple plans regarding him, an iBox?
  • Reply 72 of 73
    dmapacketdmapacket Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Welcome DMAPacket!

I am glad that we have one more person on these forums that is much smarter than the Apple execs

Besides the questionable statement regarding the 8+ billion dollar Xbox fiasco

1. It's the number MS's people themselves use

2. Anyone who can read MS own public financial records on the Net can do the math themselves

3. It's actually being generous

The actual Xbox losses are most likely quite a bit larger since MS started hiding them by doing things like moving the profitable Microsoft Mac software team into the E&D division.

That's has to be depressing to get up every morning knowing all your efforts writing software for the Mac are going to nothing more than hiding the losses of such a turd of a product.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    roland21roland21 Posts: 3member
    Anoyone can tell me how many days has passed since the last update? I can recall something around 140 right?