Amazon unveils 9.7-inch Kindle DX with focus on education

Comments

• Reply 101 of 247
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Reading comprehension would do you some good. You say my response if bullshit but then repeat what I just wrote.

Right - and that why you answer a question "How many AppleTV's sold?" with an answer "3x, blah, blah ,blah".

He stated Apple always gives out the numbers in a line sold. You can't keep giving out that ridiculous answer to that question. It makes no sense. Why do I even bother? You must not know anything of statistics at all.

If the figures from Amazon are not impressive then by your reasoning then they don't need to give out the figures anyway. Why do you need to know?
  • Reply 102 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think that the Kindle is dead meat. It may take a year or two until we see that happening.

Right - just like netbooks which have so infiltrated the psyche of the world now that Apple is like 2 years behind schedule with an ultra-portable device with a 7- 11" screen.

Well the NY Times and other news organizations obviously don't think it dead meat so I don't think your opinion really matters.
  • Reply 103 of 247
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member
    Are wondering where the beautiful campus scene in the video on Amazon's Kindle DX webpage? It's The Quad at the University of Washington, a few miles from Amazon's headquarters. Every spring the Japanese cherries blossom, creating one of the most beautiful spots on any campus. The give you a broader view of what it looks like, I've posted pictures I took there on April 9 at:

http://inklingbooks.com/Kindle/Kindle.html
  • Reply 104 of 247
    Quote:

That's the one thing Apple hasn't told us. If Amazon called this their experimental "hobby" line, it would be different.

OK- it's a hobby but not a bag of hurt.

There- are you happy?

Seriously it's not the main thrust that drives Amazon. Other peoples goods are. This is a relatively new thing for Amazon. And all you guys do is put it down?
  • Reply 105 of 247
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Verizon loves to...So have a good time with that.

FYI, Verizon started out as General Telephone. Way before 1984, if you lived in Van Nuys or Beaverton, you were forced to deal with their terrible and inconsistent service. (Aluminum connecting blocks, outside your house!) They decided to destroy ATT to get the market. They did. They put cable everywhere and also started destroying broadcast TV (and create always accelerated prices.) They will finish that on June 17th! But, oh my! There are switches that can, by a remote signal, disable your digital TV signal, built into the new sets and convertors! The old broadcast towers will be quietly and quickly torn down, for bigger, better Verizon towers. You watch!

The internet has also been made vulnerable to Presidential disconnect! When the Big Government takes over as we enter into the real depression, all the digitized Google and Amazon books will be property of this New World Order and we will be just as 1984 predicted. History can be altered every day. The Middle Eastern Asiatics will be the perpetual enemy and all our information will be filtered to keep us stupid. Just you wait! Your Kindle and iPod will hypnotize you and tell you all you need to know, while you're warming your hands over a 50 gallon barrel of burning books!
  • Reply 106 of 247
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Nothing wrong with it. I LOVE digital books. I have a couple hundred.

I just don't think that, long term, a reader as a device, will survive.

I love digital Technical Books along with my copy in print.

I can't stomach digital leisure books. I enjoy reading those in their original hardcover print format.
  • Reply 107 of 247
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right - and that why you answer a question "How many AppleTV's sold?" with an answer "3x, blah, blah ,blah".

I bet that is all you see since the context of my post, to even a rudimentary English reader, clearly states that the AppleTV numbers are too low, like the Kindle, for the units sales to be broken out for marketing fodder. Only reading what you want to does go a long way to explaining why you post the asinine things you do.
  • Reply 108 of 247
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    If I may draw an analogy between the kindle and a phone, the device is really about as sexy as an old Moto Star-Tac. My goodness, look at that beautiful gray screen. How inviting!.

I just watched a video of a Kindle rep trying to "sell" the device to a few onlookers. I love how the thing draws a negative image every time it refreshes when page turning. Awkward. Folks, this thing may have a future in an academic environment, but at these prices it's really not surprising the median age group for Kindle users is 40 and up.
  • Reply 109 of 247
    Quote:

I bet that is all you see since the context of my post, to even a rudimentary English reader, clearly states that the AppleTV numbers are too low, like the Kindle, for the units sales to be broken out for marketing fodder. Only reading what you want to does go a long way to explaining why you post the asinine things you do.

Ok- there- now you say the numbers are too low- big difference. We'll get you to speak American yet.
  • Reply 110 of 247
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuantumEntanglement View Post

Sorry had to finally register to say that.

Welcome!

Quote:

But here are my thoughts:

The future will be color, handy device, very thin, maybe about 10", maybe aluminum/carbon-fibre, OLED, and all the functionality of the iPhone / iPod-Touch.

My guess is that Apple's R&D hasn't been sleeping all these years. It was very obvious that something like this would be important.

Maybe we'll have to wait for one or two years.

But there will be definitely something better than the Kindle.

what do you think?

I think it'll be here for this Christmas, but not yet with OLED. It'll have WiFi and a card slot for different 3G standards. So you can buy it without 3G (like an iPod touch), or subsidized with an AT&T, Verizon Wireless, or Sprint contract. The subscription could be for both voice+data (like iPhone) or for just data (VoIP over 3G would be prohibited).
  • Reply 111 of 247
    How many years were newspapers B&W before color?

How many years were TV's B&W before color?

How many years were photgraphs B&W before color?

How many years were movies B&W before color?

How many years were Apples monochrome before color?

Kindle is 2 years old if that- and all you Apple people do here is BITCH!

Leave the Kindle ALONE- PLEEZE! LEAVE IT ALONE!
  • Reply 112 of 247
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Nothing wrong with it. I LOVE digital books. I have a couple hundred.

I just don't think that, long term, a reader as a device, will survive.

Maybe not, but this, as all digital devices are, is an iterative process. It may not survive for ten years, or even five, but maybe for four years? Who knows. The point is that I don't think Amazon is selling this to make shedloads of money. It is in their interest to make it as cheap as possible (that is my only real complaint - its VERY expensive) in order to sell digital content.

A question - can e-paper be... er.. 'touch' e-paper? There is something very nice about e-paper compared to am lcd screen.
  • Reply 113 of 247
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Ok- there- now you say the numbers are too low- big difference. We'll get you to speak American yet.

I said it there and in my original posting that you that didn't comprehend, in response to your reply to Melgross which you didn't comprehend. If I'm using words with too many syllables or sentences that are too complex for a novice reader, let me know and I adjust any replies to you accordingly. See post run. (see what I did there?)

Quote:

That is exactly his point, you break out numbers when the sales are impressive. The only numbers that Apple has broken out for the AppleTV hobby are that the sale rose 3x, but they didn't give a unit figure to compare it to, because while it maybe tops in media extender appliances, it's obviously pretty low in sales for an Apple product.

• Reply 114 of 247
    Quote:

I said it there and in my original posting that you didn't comprehend in which you responded to Melgross because you didn't comprehend what he wrote. If I'm using words with too many syllables or sentences that are too complex for a novice reader, let me know and I adjust any replies to you accordingly. See post run. (see what I did there?)

You keep twisting things. You fail to state my question or that Mel said Apple states the numbers in every division. Therefore, you are back to my ignore list.
  • Reply 115 of 247
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Maybe not, but this, as all digital devices are, is an iterative process. It may not survive for ten years, or even five, but maybe for four years? Who knows. The point is that I don't think Amazon is selling this to make shedloads of money. It is in their interest to make it as cheap as possible (that is my only real complaint - its VERY expensive) in order to sell digital content.

Agree, Amazon is looking for new ways to sell reading material like books, newspapers, and magazines. Unlike newspapers, they are doing something before the hardcopy market dies (and a good chunk of their revenue goes away). And they've done a pretty good job of jumpstarting an alternative. Great for Amazon!

But a single-purpose device for reading will be a niche product. Which is fine. Someday it may be color and maybe it'll do more than just allow one to read. But Amazon is new to the consumer electronics business, and IF (a big if) they want to stay in hardware, they'll have to prove that they can keep making new products as quickly as their competitors, which will soon include Apple, PC manufacturers, and cellphone manufacturers. Even if they leave future hardware to others and stick to e-reader software, Amazon is accomplishing what it set out to do; to make reading on electronics devices plausible.
  • Reply 116 of 247
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Right - just like netbooks which have so infiltrated the psyche of the world now that Apple is like 2 years behind schedule with an ultra-portable device with a 7- 11" screen.

Well the NY Times and other news organizations obviously don't think it dead meat so I don't think your opinion really matters.

Teck, there's a major difference between netbooks and book readers.

For one, a netbook can BE a book reader, but a book reader is just a book reader (ok it can play MP3s too).

If you're going to go off track and get personal, then why does your opinion matter either?

That's a very poor argument on your side. Just because the NY Times MAY be interested in this doesn't make it a success. Newspapers, including the NY Times, are having problems, they will try and talk up, anything they may think will help them. It doesn't mean anything. Everything they do now is already digital. It won't hurt to try, though there are all the problems I brought up.
  • Reply 117 of 247
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

But a single-purpose device for reading will be a niche product. Which is fine. Someday it may be color and maybe it'll do more than just allow one to read. But Amazon is new to the consumer electronics business, and IF (a big if) they want to stay in hardware, they'll have to prove that they can keep making new products as quickly as their competitors, which will soon include Apple, PC manufacturers, and cellphone manufacturers. Even if they leave future hardware to others and stick to e-reader software, Amazon is accomplishing what it set out to do; to make reading on electronics devices plausible.

I agree, It is an expensive for single purpose device. I guess the problem the Kindle solve is the short battery life of portable computers. But think about this. A tablet computer with dual mode, an OS mode and an ebook reader mode. Instead of running the OS with all the hardware and battery draining processes the user can shut down and use an ebook reader mode where a separate independent Kindle like system (maybe on a separate internal flash drive) reside to help conserve battery life. I've seen HP laptops with similar configuration, where they can be used to listen to music even when the computer is shutdown. I think it is possible. It might be more expensive than the Kindle but still cheaper than the Kindle plus a portable computer.
  • Reply 118 of 247
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

OK- it's a hobby but not a bag of hurt.

There- are you happy?

Seriously it's not the main thrust that drives Amazon. Other peoples goods are. This is a relatively new thing for Amazon. And all you guys do is put it down?

It's not the idea of selling digital books and such.

I'm not even putting it down.

But there's no evidence that it's really selling enough to make much difference, other than for the hype, which may help sell digital books on the iPhone and elsewhere.

And you're missing my point about the portable computer part.

I think that if most people were shown a book reader, no matter how sophisticated, and a computer that looked about the same, with about the same weight, a better screen, and a long enough battery life that was also a book reader, they would take the computer even if it cost twice as much, or more.

I think we'll see something like that in a year or two. It's a natural evolution.

That will render the stand alone book reader obsolete.

And I don't think Amazon cares. They may even have such a product in mind for when it becomes possible.
  • Reply 119 of 247
    Quote:

Teck, there's a major difference between netbooks and book readers.

For one, a netbook can BE a book reader, but a book reader is just a book reader (ok it can play MP3s too).

If you're going to go off track and get personal, then why does your opinion matter either?

That's a very poor argument on your side. Just because the NY Times MAY be interested in this doesn't make it a success. Newspapers, including the NY Times, are having problems, they will try and talk up, anything they may think will help them. It doesn't mean anything. Everything they do now is already digital. It won't hurt to try, though there are all the problems I brought up.

NyTime is not MAYBE interested they helped launch it. It's maybe going to save the newspapers as we know it. I'm sorry for getting personal but you really have thing against this device. The iPod was a one thing device at one point - remember - music? And boy wasn't it expensive?
  • Reply 120 of 247
    gurp13gurp13 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Bravo for you. I don't waste my time carrying a device to read a print newspaper. There is a reason the LA Times is leaking money badly and > 26% drop in readership.

Enjoy that overpriced paperweight when the bulk of it's appeal [Newspapers] fall one by one to HTML5 enabled versions fully subsidized by online advertising I can read for free in my Web Browser on OS X.

Thank you. I'll still be reading my Kindle and enjoying it and you'll still be rude.

Geez, you try to share some information with people...