Help-- Upgraded to 10.5 and Lost All My Mail

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Help! I upgraded from 10.4.11 to 10.5.6 today and in the process all the read mail in my in box disappeared. Is there any way to get it back?

In 10.4 where is the received mail stored? The same for 10.3.9?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Help! I upgraded from 10.4.11 to 10.5.6 today and in the process all the read mail in my in box disappeared. Is there any way to get it back?

I suppose you made a backup of your data before upgrading...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

In 10.4 where is the received mail stored? The same for 10.3.9?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I remember correctly, but I am not on a Mac to verify, for all Mac OS X versions the place is ~/Library/Mail. If you have a backup of the old mailboxes, you should be able to import them to your Leopard installation using the Mail.app built-in tools.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    There is a bug in 10.5.6 and to get your e-mails back, quit Mail and in ~/Library/Mail/ remove Envelope Index and MessageRules.plist.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    PB and JLL, thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately, the Mail problem is much more serious than what I posted. Simply put, Mail is DOA. I can neither receive nor send email. In Mail's preference all the information is correct and to double check it I've reentered it. Mail keeps showing my outgoing mail server as being "offline" even though I can access my mail from other computers in the network.

Another problem is that the only way I can quit Mail is by using a forced quit.

I hope someone has some ideas as to what is wrong as I'm stumped. It sounds like a call to Apple might be in order. If the computer wasn't a MacPro I'd take it into the Apple Store.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    JLL posted the solution. This was exactly what the problem was with my great aunt's upgrade to 10.5.6, and removing ~/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist solved it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2537
  • Reply 5 of 5
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

JLL posted the solution. This was exactly what the problem was with my great aunt's upgrade to 10.5.6, and removing ~/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist solved it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2537

Kickaha. I did follow what JLL posted but that didn't clear up the problem. Thankfully your link pointed out "MessageSorting.plist" and its backup. Removing those solved the problem.

Again, everyone, thanks.