New Logic Board screws up Time Machine

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I could have sworn I started this thread last night, but in case I didn't...

I got a replacement logic board thanks to Nvidia last week. Now of course with a new board and a new MAC address, Time Machine does not recognize it or its relationship to the years worth of saved backups on my external hard drive. Have I really lost all of that easy to find data and do I have to start over again?!

Can't I link this new logic board to my old data? Can I do a restore of the old data and hope that Time Machine recognizes that they are the same file type and maybe let me continue as before?

Thanks for any suggestions or elegant ideas.

The Apple Genius gave me their Terminal procedures for re-establishing the MAC address but he even said it usually doesn't work.

cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Dude i need a little more info here,

When you connect the external HD (which time machine has backed up on) to the Mac what happens does it recognize it..??

If it does what is the exact error message that it gives.? this can be found from going to Time Machine preferences and hovering the mouse on the red i that appears to the next backup. (only if it being recognized.)

If it does recognize it one thing you can do is to format the external HD and start your backup once again but that's the last option if we cannot find a fix for this..

Lemme know what the error message is and ill try giving you a fix..!!

Also which version of the OS are you running..?? 10.5.7 by any chance..??
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yo_applefreak View Post

When you connect the external HD (which time machine has backed up on) to the Mac what happens does it recognize it..??

If it does what is the exact error message that it gives.? this can be found from going to Time Machine preferences and hovering the mouse on the red i that appears to the next backup. (only if it being recognized.)

If it does recognize it one thing you can do is to format the external HD and start your backup once again but that's the last option if we cannot find a fix for this..

Thanks, here goes...

I connect to the hard drive via FW and on the Time Machine Preference pane it shows the correct name "LaCie" and I'm pretty sure that has always been its name.

Time Machine is set up to do hourly backup. It sees the hard drive begins to back up but then stops. Latest Back up "fails" because there isn't enough available storage space for the back up, but that is only because Time Machine thinks it needs to start a new Time Machine full backup rather than just do an incremental backup.

All the connections are good, but Time Machine doesn't realize that the new logic board still represents the same data files. When I enter Time Machine it shows no past.

The work around that I've found says that I need to change the volume name of my laptop with the name of the backup volume that Time Machine uses. So i need to get the MAC address for "port en0" from the network pane from my System Profiler, then in Terminal put that address with

sudo fsaclctl -p /Volumes/name -d

then do the same with

cd /Volumes/name

then find the name used in the backups.backupd folder and replace it and add the MAC address to com.apple.backupd.BackupMachine Address

Anyway, I'm not great with Terminal and the directions are not well written.

I'm running 10.5.6 right now.

cheers
  • Reply 3 of 3
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yo_applefreak View Post

Hey Thanks, here goes ...

When I connect the HD via USB2, Time Machine recognizes it and the laptop even gives the hard drive the green Time Machine icon.

I have TM set for hourly backups and when it does so it begins the process, but then stops says, "Latest Backup: Fails" and the reason is not enough room to complete the backup, but that is only because it doesn't recognize the already existing backed up files as related to the laptop. It thinks it needs to begin a whole new backup rather than just an incremental one.

When I go into Time Machine it shows no past.

The work around I was given has me find the name of the backup volume that Time Machine uses and replace, I guess the replace the volume name, MACaddress and MacName in Terminal so that Time Machine thinks it is the old logic board.

But I'm not experienced in Terminal and I've been told the technique rarely works anyway.

I am using 10.5.6 right now.

Thanks