Repeat: AT&T may introduce $20 limited iPhone data plan

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    crossuabcrossuab Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dblanch369 View Post

Well, if the rumor is true, then I have a few observations. #1, I already have a $20 iPhone plan, on the original plan. The $30 data plan introduced with the iPhone 3G is *precisely* why I did not buy a 3G. (Apple, AT&T, ya better be paying attention - I'm guessing I'm not the only one) #2 If AT&T continues to be greedy in this regard, and issues a new $20 data plan that is crippled, then I can assure both AT&T and Apple that I will not be buying the next iPhone that comes out in June either. If Apple wants to sell more iPhones, they need to "reign" AT&T in again, and pressure them to quit being so greedy. Don't get me wrong, I think all cell companies are greedy, but sadly we're stuck with AT&T for the moment.

What I'm also curious about is what happens when those of us with 1st gen iPhones' 2-yr contract is up (June 30th +/-), aren't we free to switch carriers, and isn't Apple then forced to allow this?

You're allowed to leave AT&T without paying a contract cancellation penalty, but that doesn't mean you can take your iphone to another cell phone provider.
  • Reply 42 of 121
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I may be an exception or maybe I'm just older than most iPhone owners but I never make a dent in my monthly minutes, I'm talking 6-8 mins per month. I know you may be asking why do i have an iPhone? It occasionally comes in handy as a phone for me but it is email, safari and several of the included anded apps that keep me satisfied. I could really use a plan with 100 mins per month unlimited data combined for $40 per month. Otherwise my iPhone may become an iPod touch when my contract expires.
  • Reply 43 of 121
    dhandlerdhandler Posts: 14member
    If Apple wants to increase market share, end the exclusive with AT&T and open up the iPhone to other carriers.
  • Reply 44 of 121
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

And I'm opposite. I'd buy an iphone without a voice plan just to get net access when no wifi is available...

Like the Novatel Mifi device paired with an iPod touch (or any wi-fi capable device).

Verizon's plan for the Mifi is relatively expensive though. Did Sprint announce their subscription pricing for it yet?

And when will the GSM/HSPA version arrive for AT&T?
  • Reply 45 of 121
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your phone ownership, bill, plan, and views seem to exactly mirror mine!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

With two iPhones (a 2G and a 3G), and a Nokia, our monthly AT&T bill is $165.00 for a 700 minutes plan. I've come to realize that is a lot of money. Reason why we will not have another iPhone in our family.

The high price that one pays for the "luxury" of a having smart phone (I believe it is across the board, Verizon or Sprint may not be much cheaper than AT&T) is driving people away. The once hungry market for these products is rapidly disappearing. I hope and believe that Apple is in a better position than its competitors to address this issue.

ATT like any service provider benefits from economies of scale both in network expansion and decreasing cost per subscriber. ATT needs to bring the cost of ownership down and expand their own market share.

Personally I am getting tired of too many fixed bills: Electricity, gas, water, sewage, cable, phone, internet, cell phones, health insurance, auto insurance, home owner insurance, life/disability, hi property taxes and lousy school system, school fees, etc. At least I do not have car and house loans. Still it is a huge burden. I would like to get an iPhone, but I do not want to add to my bills.

I would like to ditch telephone line, cable and cellphone. Just have internet and use VoIP. Rabbit ears and Youtube for TV. Trying to reduce all those insurance costs.
  • Reply 46 of 121
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crossuab View Post

I thought you could do voice only with the iPhone.

Nope.
  • Reply 47 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by algalli View Post

I would prefer for AT&T to offer a voice only plan for the IPhone. I want a Touch and I need a cell phone and I don't want to carry to devices. I would pay $100 more for the IPhone if I did not have to get the data plan. Think how many Touch buyers AT&T could have signed up if they had such a plan.

Yup. Am am with you on that algalli!! Basically I'd love to have an iPod that I can answer a call on. One device. Exactly. Internet everywhere is nice, but I have no desire to pay $30 for it. I'd be happy to have access if there was wifi around. No data plan would be awesome!
  • Reply 48 of 121
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    If there's going to be a limited data plan, I hope there's a way to turn the data radio off (if there isn't already).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

"To attract lower income consumers" - doesn't sound like Apple.

Neither did the affordable iMac and eMac, iBook, iPod, itunes store, video iPod, iPhone, and intel CPUs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dhandler View Post

If Apple wants to increase market share, end the exclusive with AT&T and open up the iPhone to other carriers.

They'd be limited to T-Mobile and their affiliates. The rest of the top 5 is using CDMA.
  • Reply 49 of 121
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    How about them just concentrating on fixing the phone service? It currently sucks. Maybe a 3 out of 10.
  • Reply 50 of 121
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I would prefer for AT&T to offer a voice only plan for the IPhone. I want a Touch and I need a cell phone and I don't want to carry to devices. I would pay $100 more for the IPhone if I did not have to get the data plan. Think how many Touch buyers AT&T could have signed up if they had such a plan.

The iPhone best feature is the always available internet connection. If you don't require an always available connection then the iPhone is not for you and you are better off with an iPod Touch and a another phone (probably a less expensive choice too). You also have to remember that the iPhone is not competing with the iPod Touch. The iPod Touch is an alternative to the iPhone for people who don't want the data plan (your case).

I think that AT&T should offer lower price limited data plan. My wireless data usage since last August is still less than 1GB (Mainly because I have Wifi access at work and home and no 3G in my area). However, I still want to have data access to get my emails on time and to be able to use Maps and other applications when on the road.
  • Reply 51 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

How about them just concentrating on fixing the phone service? It currently sucks. Maybe a 3 out of 10.

That's why I won't leave T-Mobile. In my area I almost never get signal drops. Yet people with iPhones ALWAYS get them!
  • Reply 52 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The iPhone best feature is the always available internet connection. If you don't require an always available connection then the iPhone is not for you...

Who are you to decide? Everyone's needs are different - hence the problem with the one size fits all plan AT&T offers.
  • Reply 53 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crossuab View Post

I thought you could do voice only with the iPhone.

AppleInsider reported a week or so ago that you can buy an iPhone from an Apple store without the 2 years contract for the full price of $599 (I think). If this is true, then you can get the iPhone and use it with a voice only plan.
  • Reply 54 of 121
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

"To attract lower income consumers" - doesn't sound like Apple.

I thought the article mischaracterized the appeal of less-pricy plans, as below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

I have a $70 per month iPhone plan. I was able to opt out of SMS texting which is good because I never use that. The 450 minutes are about 400 more than I need. The telephone is about twelfth or thirteenth on the list of what I use the iPhone for. I like the unlimited data plan but would like for the cost of the voice plan to be cut about 90 percent because I'm being charged for something that I don't need, want, or use much.

Exactly. The only reason I don't own an iPhone is because I'd be forced to buy service I'd never use. Apple and AT&T's untapped market may well be people who'd like to own a good phone but don't need a zillion minutes. The article makes it sound like they'd be going after people who live in trailer parks, and that seems wrong.
  • Reply 55 of 121
    Quote:

AppleInsider reported a week or so ago that you can buy an iPhone from an Apple store without the 2 years contract for the full price of $599 (I think). If this is true, then you can get the iPhone and use it with a voice only plan.

I would imagine you could do the reverse and get data only as well for people who wanted that - unless AT&T or T-Mobile don't allow data only. I don't know. Choice is good.
  • Reply 56 of 121
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

If you don't require an always available connection then the iPhone is not for you and you are better off with an iPod Touch and a another phone (probably a less expensive choice too).

So what other iPhone feature do I not have to use to disqualify me from getting one? You're missing the point of priorities and compromise, and how some people are willing to forgo certain features to gain others. It's not an all-or-nothing proposition.
  • Reply 57 of 121
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    AT&T shouldn't get a larger market share this way. They should fix up their network. I drop calls every day. How does Apple expect to lead in the Enterprise with a network like this? My iPhone is a toy for me, but if I was some kind of salesman, I would have to get another phone. No one is going to put up with me hanging up on them in mid sentence every few minutes.
  • Reply 58 of 121
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

So if they decreased their revenue by $700 over the course of the contract, you'd pay $100 more? I'm sure ATT is salivating to make you happy
  • Reply 59 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skellener View Post

Who are you to decide? Everyone's needs are different - hence the problem with the one size fits all plan AT&T offers.

I was stating my opinion, which is what every iPhone review agree on (based on usability).

What problem are you talking about? The last time I checked, the iPhone sales are very strong.
  • Reply 60 of 121
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

How about a cheaper voice plan? I only use about 100 minutes per month.

I'll give an 'amen' to that.

Give me an plan that lets me use 100/100 voice/data per month with rollover, an application that lets me see exactly where I stand on my minutes, and assurance that I'm always defaulting to wifi, and I'm there.

In fact, how about the ability to just 'charge up' my phone with minutes as I see the need approaching? Nah, that would be like asking the credit card companies to limit interest to 35%

Until then, I'll stick with my touch and a cheapo voice phone.