Any way to increase wifi range on my 12' G4 powerbook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all.

We have wifi here, but my cubicle is one of the farthest away, and I cannot do much about there the router is, etc.

I've seen some usb wifi range boosters, but the reviews on some sound bad, and I have not found any for Macs.

I know it is the weak link with the 12" powerbooks........if I buy a new macbook, will my wifi range be better?

Co-workers with their PC laptops can get wifi fine from my spot.....but my reception is spotty at best.

Also, I remember when I had Tiger, if you clicked the bars on top you would get something called wifi robustness or something. I can't find anything like that with Leopard.

Is there anything I can do....or is it time to give my 12" powerbook up......

Thank you. Frank

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

Hello all.

We have wifi here, but my cubicle is one of the farthest away, and I cannot do much about there the router is, etc.

I've seen some usb wifi range boosters, but the reviews on some sound bad, and I have not found any for Macs.

I know it is the weak link with the 12" powerbooks........if I buy a new macbook, will my wifi range be better?

Co-workers with their PC laptops can get wifi fine from my spot.....but my reception is spotty at best.

Also, I remember when I had Tiger, if you clicked the bars on top you would get something called wifi robustness or something. I can't find anything like that with Leopard.

Thank you. Frank

PC users turn over their machines more often than Mac users, so it's possible they have a newer wifi version which gets better reception.

Don't get upset, they had to prematurely buy a whole new computer and you didn't. Sure if you upgrade you could get better reception too, but Mac's "just work" so if it's working, why bother getting another?

My advice would to ask for a cubical switch, talk to other cubies and see who would want to switch around. It might involve a few people, but it would give people change and you get a better wifi signal being closer to the router.

Another thing, because your the farthest away from the router your use "priority" is lowest.

This could be a pecking order thing, the new guy gets the cubicle at the end and thus the lowest priority.

The answer of course would be for IT to center the router in the middle of the room, or install a booster at the other end. Others would have to complain about being dropped too, to make it appear like it's affecting company productivity.

If its just you complaining, IT will blame your Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Hello all.

Thank you. Frank

ok well im a student at uf and i have sometimes the same problem.....i found this method useful..... i took a short ethernet cable and connected it to my laptop and then i wraped the other part around my cellphone..... its a bit old school but it worked out and i was able to wifi from outside buildings.... for me this worked out.... its a bit getto but it works...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:

Hello all.

Thank you. Frank

Your co-workers can't connect either. They just want you to think they do because they are jealous of your mac
  • Reply 4 of 6
    a_hnaua_hnau Posts: 26member
    I have similar problem at home. Tried turning off Airport and using an external dongle for the WiFi, at least then you can put it on a long cable and hang it over the top of your cube..... \
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Hello all.

Thank you. Frank

I have found a USB range booster that was made just for Macs! Check it out!

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/12/...eless.signals/

Also, not a bad way to add 802.11n to older Macs!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks!!!!

Frank