Briefly: Canada gets HD TV shows; illuminated iPhone logo; more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

It doesn't have to use more battery, it will see through to its LCD screen, just like MacBook Air does.

The only problem with that is all the internal parts that make the iPhone work are in the way. Apple would have to cut an apple shaped part of the motherboard and battery to allow the light to shine through from the screen.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't care if it can get better battery-life. I don't want to see an illuminated Apple logo on my phone. I even hate that my Airbook glows up, and says:

"look over here, in case you missed it this guy is using an Apple!!"

The chrome Apple logo is simple and it works, don't mess with it. In fact, make the Apple logo on the lappies chrome too, now that I mention it.

It may be a better alternative than the proposed Camera Phone Predator Alert Act (H.R. 414), introduced into Congress in January, 2009.(1) This law is apparently already on the books in Japan and Korea.(2)

1. http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills...11_HR_414.html

2. http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/...ntroversy.html
  • Reply 23 of 38
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Amazing... Canada first? Yowser!

But yes, very expensive. I wonder if they'd sell twice as much if they halved the price? Spending 3.50 on a tv show is steep.

It is steep and I doubt I'll be buying many but I have ordered a couple just to see what the quality of the files would be on a well-calibrated monitor.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Surely it only illuminates briefly when you get a text or notification, or when there is an incoming call, or when you take a picture in the dark.

It certainly makes sense from the standpoint of silent notifications. As to battery drain, like everything else it should be easy to configure ON or OFF.

The usage as a flash for the camera is more interesting. To get proper coverage the flash needs to be symmetrical in shape so they might need some fancy optics to do that with the lop sided Apple logo. The thing here is if they go with a sensor with vastly improved low light performance they might just skip the idea of a flash or illuminator. I'm not convinced this support is coming.

Dave
  • Reply 25 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I don't care if it can get better battery-life. I don't want to see an illuminated Apple logo on my phone. I even hate that my Airbook glows up, and says:

The chrome Apple logo is simple and it works, don't mess with it. In fact, make the Apple logo on the lappies chrome too, now that I mention it.

In fact I've heard through the rumor mill that the new tablet you are waiting on will have four glowing Apple logos on its back side. The one that is right side up at the time will get turned on. Spin the tablet around and the logos would flash on and off based on the assumed orientation at the time. Groooovy man.

As a side note what is all this crap about not wanting people to know you are carrying a iPhone or a Mac lappie. One should not live in constant fear of getting mugged and one should not be embarrassed by his hardware choices.

Dave
  • Reply 26 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

It does need some sort of status light though, just like on the laptops: a silvery pulsing light somewhere.

That I can agree on, but that would be under the glass on the front, just like the iSight status-light on Macs. Not on the rear of the phone.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As a side note what is all this crap about not wanting people to know you are carrying a iPhone or a Mac lappie. One should not live in constant fear of getting mugged and one should not be embarrassed by his hardware choices.

The mugging argument is a good angle too, but I prefer the vanity argument. I don't want to seem as if I'm going around silently shouting "APPLE....". I'd rather just continue to go under the radar and as the unassuming billionaire I am...
  • Reply 28 of 38
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Probably around 3 to 4 weeks after announcement.

As for the illuminated light? Funny guys. Won't happen. Apple is trying to DECREASE its battery impact, not INCREASE it.

Exactly. Every iPhone I have seen has always been in a sleeve-type case so it would never be displayed. It is nothing like the MacBook in which they could have the backlighting from the LCD illuminate it. Even if that was possible, the LCD turns off when you are holding it up to your head. What a dumb rumor.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

You can always put your favorite sticker over your MacBook's Apple logo if you hate it so much. You should have seen the WallStreet PowerBooks. The Apple logo was upside down when you opened the display.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

It doesn't have to use more battery, it will see through to its LCD screen, just like MacBook Air does.

How do you expect them to do that? Cut a hole in the logic board and battery? The phone is not a laptop.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It may be a better alternative than the proposed Camera Phone Predator Alert Act (H.R. 414), introduced into Congress in January, 2009.(1) This law is apparently already on the books in Japan and Korea.(2)

H.R. 414, The Camera Phone Predator Alert Act

H.R. 414 would require mobile phones containing digital cameras to make a sound when a photograph is taken.

Now THAT is funny! Predator Alert??? What is the sound? Will the phone scream out "Pedophile in Proximity!" when you take a picture? I think they should link the built-in camera with the Fart For Free app so the phone will let out a big loud fart when you try and take a picture. That will get people's attention!
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Surely it only illuminates briefly when you get a text or notification, or when there is an incoming call, or when you take a picture in the dark.

A pointless feature when most have their iPhone in a case, and no one puts the phone down on a desk, screen side first! The phone either chirps, rings, or vibrates if it needs your attention. I don't need a blinking light that I will never see.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In fact I've heard through the rumor mill that the new tablet you are waiting on will have four glowing Apple logos on its back side. The one that is right side up at the time will get turned on. Spin the tablet around and the logos would flash on and off based on the assumed orientation at the time. Groooovy man.

In addition to 4 blinking Apple Logos in disco-fashion, it will also scream out through the speakers, "Look at me everyone, I am a Mac user!" and there won't be an option to turn it off. (Insert Sarcasm).
  • Reply 34 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

1. http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills...11_HR_414.html

2. http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/...ntroversy.html

Considering that removing the sound file, disconnecting the speaker or simply physically muting the speaker would be trivial for anyone wishing to engage in such perverted clandestine acts this law seems pointless.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

A pointless feature when most have their iPhone in a case, and no one puts the phone down on a desk, screen side first! The phone either chirps, rings, or vibrates if it needs your attention. I don't need a blinking light that I will never see.

it does seem pretty silly. I much prefer the Apple patent that would have a smaller backlight, behind the main backlight over a segment of the LCD that would display notification while using less power much more usable.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Considering that removing the sound file, disconnecting the speaker or simply physically muting the speaker would be trivial for anyone wishing to engage in such perverted clandestine acts this law seems pointless.

It appears the law, which seems to be a waste of taxpayers money, would prevent you from doing those things. The law would require the speaker to be soldered to the board so it could not be defeated. Phone makers would be required to allow the camera make a sound even if you muted the speaker. The sound would be coded in ROM so you could not delete it or adjust the volume. As I said earlier, if the sound is nothing more than a simulated camera shutter, it won't be an effective deterrent. It needs to be a loud long fart to be an effective warning to others! (Just like how car alarms are pretty much pointless deterrents. No one pays attention to them) LOL.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    That LOGO wil probably double as a Flash.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    bluenixbluenix Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

In addition to 4 blinking Apple Logos in disco-fashion, it will also scream out through the speakers, "Look at me everyone, I am a Mac user!" and there won't be an option to turn it off. (Insert Sarcasm).

hehe, or better: future macbooks will activate the speaker when you open the lid and justin's voice come out: "HELLO I'M A MAC"

;-)

but seriously. a little led wouldn't drain much battery. a whole apple logo - maybe. given apple's playful-nature that comes out from time to time I wouldn't bet against it. a little flashing apple logo when a text message arrives sounds totally believable to me. and there are A LOT of people out there who would love to run around with an iPhone on their ears that has a glowing apple logo on the backside.

the case point is valid too. although I never put my iphone (1st gen) in any case and it's still not scratched after almost 2 years. does the 3g scratch a lot on the backside?
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

That LOGO wil probably double as a Flash.

The only issue with that is you'll have to have a "huge" hole in your iPhone case.