Apple extends old MacBook Pro graphics warranty to three years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I haven't noticed any change to battery times, actually.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    So if I have one but nothing has happened so far, what should I do?

Should I be preventative and bring it in now?

What do they use to replace it with? Is it just the same card?

Thanks for any info!
  • Reply 23 of 44
    No Frankie, don't take it in. They haven't recalled it, and its debatable if they should or not. Still, Apple will say its still working, so warranty doesn't apply.

If you have any issues, take it to an Apple Authorized technician. They will replace the Mac's logic board, which is basically everything and the kitchen sink in your computer. That includes the CPU, GPU, and everything else apart from RAM, Hard Drive, Superdrive, Screen, keyboard and trackpad.

TBH, as an Apple Authorized Tech myself, I love doing it lol. MacBook Pro 17" are a dream to pull apart lol. Too bad I wasn't authorized when it happened to me.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    bobabouibobaboui Posts: 11member
    [/LEFT]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

There is no method to check. If you have a NVIDIA 8600 GT in your MacBook Pro, you could be affected.

Actually, there is a test but available only to Apple authorized service providers. Though my MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz) with 2 years left in my Applecare warranty does not show any symptoms, it was tested with this app, it passed so no repair needed.

Quote:

TBH, as an Apple Authorized Tech myself, I love doing it lol. MacBook Pro 17" are a dream to pull apart lol. Too bad I wasn't authorized when it happened to me.

Since you're Apple tech, you should have access to the app at service source. I'm not an Apple tech but know someone who is.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    dronkertdronkert Posts: 4member
    Got a 8800 GS in my iMac. So no problems there? Nvidia got their stuff together after the 8600?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,843member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dronkert View Post

Got a 8800 GS in my iMac. So no problems there? Nvidia got their stuff together after the 8600?

There are no known widespread issues with the NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS. This is ONLY for the MacBook Pros that shipped with the 8600GT graphics chip.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    *post deleted*
  • Reply 28 of 44
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

I haven't noticed any change to battery times, actually.

It's a balance between low speed fan running more frequently to overdrive fan speeds. If the low speed fan actually draws less total power for it's use to keep the system pro-actively cool then it's a win/win for you.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Hi

I managed to either make it look like my MBP GPU had failed - or - I managed to bring on the fault, either way here's what I did...

I bought a DVI->HDMI cable so that I could use my MBP through my plasma TV. (I was considering buying a MacMini).

At the time I didn't realise there was a procedure for unpluging the TV from my MBP. Apparently you're suposed to remove the cable when the clam shell is OPEN???

After unplugging the DVI lead I opened my MBP but the display was dead. I used my iMac to do a screen share, this was fine and everything seemed okay. I checked out the display settings but the MBP was only recognising my TV aspect ratio.

I plugged the DVI cable back in but there was no output to my TV - here's where I did something real silly...

I thought it would be a good idea to re-install OSX using screen sharing. Obviously this didn't work as once the installation began, I lost all network connections - silly boy!

When I visited the Apple Store for help they performed some basic checks, was the power button having any effect (it wasn't) etc. Their recommendation was to replace the logic board under my AppleCare warranty.

Hopefully I now have a MBP with a GPU that isn't going to die on me???
  • Reply 30 of 44
    spiffy1spiffy1 Posts: 35member
    Quote:

There is no method to check. If you have a NVIDIA 8600 GT in your MacBook Pro, you could be affecte....

Every heard of the "System Profiler" app that comes with every single mac?

Under the Apple Menu, select "About this mac", then hit the "More Info..." button, then select the "Graphics/Displays" option from the left window pane.

"Suspect" MBP + 8600 = bad chip = eventual failure (It's a good bet that all 8600's are defective since this problems seems to apply across the whole industry.)

Also, you can install a widget such as "iStat Pro" to see what temperature your GPU runs at.

Mine runs at 75 to 81 C -- frackin hot! I'm on my second motherboard, heading for another. Mine was replaced with the same motherboard and faulty GPU, thus with that and the high temps I am anticipating another eventual GPU failure. Apple is just using up their stock of bad mobos as replacements so that as many users buy new machines eventually, their ultimate costs of addressing this issue will be lower.

Glad Apple is taking at least some responsibility for this fiasco.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    If you have an affected MBP, run software update! (same as discussed above)

You will see...

MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update version 1.3

"This SMC Firmware update adjusts the fan behavior in MacBook Pro systems (15-inch and 17-inch) when running under high workload conditions.

The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process."
  • Reply 32 of 44
    If you have an affected MBP, run software update! (same as discussed above)

You will see...

----------------

MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update version 1.3

"This SMC Firmware update adjusts the fan behavior in MacBook Pro systems (15-inch and 17-inch) when running under high workload conditions.

The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process."

----------------

It was posted this past Friday. Here's the link...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...eupdate13.html
  • Reply 33 of 44
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, i have a R1,1 with an X1600, which has had a main board replacement 2 times, the last one last month (good thing I paid for the extended, extended warranty.) The video card has been artifact hell when it gets hot.

the Genius told me...(psst psst) do all you can to have that sucker die ibefore you get to the end of your warranty this september).... the 3rd replacement (lemon) could be something new....

imho, somthing that dies several times in so many years is not so good...

i guess i should wrap this sucker in Saran Wrap and let 'er rip?
  • Reply 34 of 44
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Hi

I managed to either make it look like my MBP GPU had failed - or - I managed to bring on the fault, either way here's what I did...

I bought a DVI->HDMI cable so that I could use my MBP through my plasma TV. (I was considering buying a MacMini).

At the time I didn't realise there was a procedure for unpluging the TV from my MBP. Apparently you're suposed to remove the cable when the clam shell is OPEN???

After unplugging the DVI lead I opened my MBP but the display was dead. I used my iMac to do a screen share, this was fine and everything seemed okay. I checked out the display settings but the MBP was only recognising my TV aspect ratio.

I plugged the DVI cable back in but there was no output to my TV - here's where I did something real silly...

I thought it would be a good idea to re-install OSX using screen sharing. Obviously this didn't work as once the installation began, I lost all network connections - silly boy!

When I visited the Apple Store for help they performed some basic checks, was the power button having any effect (it wasn't) etc. Their recommendation was to replace the logic board under my AppleCare warranty.

Hopefully I now have a MBP with a GPU that isn't going to die on me???

i have the same set up as you .

When using the dvi- hdmi cable;'s to marry your MBP to your hi=def TV >>>> Both machines have to be off when connecting /un-connecting.ok.

Next time go to the apple discussion boards for help / or call a genius bar .In fact if one genius bar is busy, you can call another genius bar farther away .

Buy a pro care card /Its worth every penny .

I also have a habit of clicking away when disaster strikes.

also i have a question about this set up do both devices have to have the same screen resolution. ??

peace

• Reply 35 of 44
    Installed the firmware update. Ran a little stress test by downloading a bunch of stuff from iTunes, running a bunch of other apps, screen saver and some other stuff. This would usually make my MBP hot to the touch. Now it's just balmy warm. The GPU has dropped down to ~73C from it's usual ~80C under similar circumstances, BUT the fans are now running at a steady 5000+ rpm which is a bit noisy. Not really digging the fan noise, but I guess it's okay for now... \
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

No Frankie, don't take it in. They haven't recalled it, and its debatable if they should or not. Still, Apple will say its still working, so warranty doesn't apply.

If you have any issues, take it to an Apple Authorized technician. They will replace the Mac's logic board, which is basically everything and the kitchen sink in your computer. That includes the CPU, GPU, and everything else apart from RAM, Hard Drive, Superdrive, Screen, keyboard and trackpad.

If it's under Applecare, Apple will replace it no problem. If it's not, you're probably screwed.

I also work as an Apple tech, and it's made me hate Apple in ways I never thought possible. Any iMac with an iSight on it (minus the white 24") should be crammed right up the backside of the prick who designed them. They're a pain in the balls to get apart. But I digress. If the MBP is out of warrant but potentially covered by the extension, the service provider MUST run a graphics tester on them. Plug in imaged hard drive, hold down D key on boot, wait for power LED to flash. Unplug from MBP, plug into working Mac, check text file. The thing is, 9 times out of 10 it tells us that no eligible video card was found. We still get a code that can be submitted to Apple, but they decide if it's covered and the answer is generally no. Customers call in and usually get shot down trying to get coverage. These are MBPs that are very clearly affected by the 8600GT issue.

Apple clearly did this as a PR move and has little interest in actually fixing their defective products. Earlier REPs (iMac G5s, for instance) were a piece of cake. Now Apple is making sure they can limit the number of covered REPs in any way they can. I've seen people less than a month out of the one year warranty get screwed.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

well, i have a R1,1 with an X1600, which has had a main board replacement 2 times, the last one last month (good thing I paid for the extended, extended warranty.) The video card has been artifact hell when it gets hot.

the Genius told me...(psst psst) do all you can to have that sucker die ibefore you get to the end of your warranty this september).... the 3rd replacement (lemon) could be something new....

imho, somthing that dies several times in so many years is not so good...

i guess i should wrap this sucker in Saran Wrap and let 'er rip?

Saran wrap might leave some melty type residue. Try a shag rug or a big cotton sweat shirt instead!

• Reply 38 of 44
    stashmanstashman Posts: 90member
    I read this article last week and sent it to a few friends with the same machine. This morning out of the blue (just 2 weeks before it's 2nd birthday) I think it's just happened to me.

System profiler shows it as a MacBookPro3,1 When it was working it registered as having a 8600 GT with 256Mb or 512Mb (I can't quite remember) but now:

Graphics/Displays:

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display Connector:

BTW I had to use SSH and the command line version of the system profiler to get this info. Apart from the total lack video the computer still seems to function fine, currently I'm using it via Target Disk Mode via a MacMini to work.

It's a US model, but have booked to take it into an Apple Store in London later this week so will keep you guys updated.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    stashmanstashman Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dronkert View Post

I wouldn't have thought there is any real connection between the design of these products the current failures. The 8600GT in question is a high performance mobile graphics processor as such is stressed quite heavily. The 8800GS in the iMac is newer, lower down the 8800 range and benefits from better cooling.

It's unfortunate these units (8600GT) have what is probably a fabrication flaw which leads to a high failure rate after a period of use. In all it's been quite embarrassing NVIDIA.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    New SMC update makes my Santa Clara MB Pro run hotter. Can't even touch the bottom of the laptop. Sucks.