An open conerning poor writing skills

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
AN OPEN LETTER CONCERNING POOR WRITING SKILLS .

i post here with only good intentions .

Time to clear the air .

I understand why some here have complaints, and i agree with some of the points made . i will try to address these points below .

Concerning brucep and his poor writing skills >>>>>>>>>>i will continue to to TRY very hard to keep my t's crossed and my i's dotted . if THAT still after a week or two not good enough then point out what is not clear and p m me . DO NOT GIVE A SARCASTIC answer.

concerning creative writing style >>>>>> some have just said to me that i have been writing in a creative style and this forum is a bit more stiff. Well after re-reading some of my most recent past posts i see some stupid jokes i tried to make.They were funny then but now they seem dull and pedestrian.These posts were not any attempt at creative writing i was in a haste and a bit hyper over itouch going to 64 g .

Many posters here make funny wry ironic comments . At time's i may choose to do the same .

Many posters here complain about teckstud yet they feed him all day . So i should not respond to a member here because you guys don't like him ???

And techstud if you read his work is quite funny ,if you see where he is coming from .

and i am not the only one here with poor writing skills

SO

what to do

what to do

I will again try very hard to be clear . i will use spell check every time

And i hope people can point out when i am not clear.so maybe i can learn .

peace

I await your responces .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

AN OPEN CONERNING POOR WRITING SKILLS .

What does this mean?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

What does this mean?

Dammit i am such a jerk

open LETTER of course

grrr
  • Reply 3 of 27
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    It's become popular to argue that using nonstandard punctuation, spelling and grammar is being a "creative" writer. Maybe it is if you're James Joyce, but nobody here is James Joyce (nor are they writing a novel). The reasons for using conventional grammar, spelling and punctuation in writing is that it aids in communications, which should be the purpose of the writing in the first place. When a writer challenges a reader with random grammar and spelling, they are undermining their own efforts to make a point. I think they are also being lazy, and demanding that the reader make up for their lack of effort. Personally, I tend to skip post written by people who apparently can't be bothered to consider the burden they are placing on the reader to figure out what they meant to say.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

open LETTER of course

grrr

and CONERNING?

Take a deep breath brucep... and type .. a .. little.. more.. slowly.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's become popular to argue that using nonstandard punctuation, spelling and grammar is being a "creative" writer. Maybe it is if you're James Joyce, but nobody here is James Joyce (nor are they writing a novel). The reasons for using conventional grammar, spelling and punctuation in writing is that it aids in communications, which should be the purpose of the writing in the first place. When a writer challenges a reader with random grammar and spelling, they are undermining their own efforts to make a point. I think they are also being lazy, and demanding that the reader make up for their lack of effort. Personally, I tend to skip post written by people who apparently can't be bothered to consider the burden they are placing on the reader to figure out what they meant to say.

This is exactly what I've been telling brucep.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This is exactly what I've been telling brucep.

I'm sorry, I don't follow you.

• Reply 7 of 27
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm sorry, I don't follow you.

I know. The whole reason he posted here was because I reminded him a couple times that people were yelling at him because of HOW he spoke not because of what he was saying, because they couldn't understand what he was saying anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    "i" as a reference to yourself should be capitalized... every time. I think I learned that in kindergarden.

The last letter of a sentence is followed by a period (.) with NO SPACE between that letter and the period.

You can be clever all day... we like that. You can be creative by using ">>>>" instead of the more proper "...", but basic elementary school grammar and punctuation is something that you should strive to use with perfection. Proper spelling is also a worthy goal. If you write as if you are intelligent, people will tend to assume there is more intelligence behind WHAT you write.

Good god, man! I hold my 6 year old to higher standards!!!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Something seems to be wrong with brucep's space bar.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Thank you all for the input.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Something seems to be wrong with brucep's space bar.

Yes,My space bar mis-use.I never noticed that till now.THANK YOU. I have a rare disease of Dyslexia of the left hand. A blinding fast downwards twitch of my lower thumb area barely flicking the space bar. A family hidden shame I carry alone with great sadness.

I have not written letters of any kind except for business letters to my clients that are short and sweet. I also have over 30,000 post's in various pink floyd forums, but over there punctuation is not so tight. So it has been since high school back in 1977 that i have wrote < or is it written ?> in a correct manner. I have since then picked up many bad habit's.

I feel that except for my radical views, i can post here at AI in a correct manner. I will never fully be proficient at proper sentence structure. I tend to write exactly the same as i would speak on a phone.BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST.

Please wait a little and view my posts and let me know what you think.

Also i CAN SEE a forum wide problem of facts being thrown around with no regard for their validity.

peace

• Reply 12 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

I will never fully be proficient at proper sentence structure. I tend to write exactly the same as i would speak on a phone.BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST.

Dude, that just means the people you call also don't understand you. Obviously, you have one or more disabilities. Deal with them. I do not feel sorry for you.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Dude, that just means the people you call also don't understand you. Obviously, you have one or more disabilities. Deal with them. I do not feel sorry for you.

I did not ask anyone to feel sorry for me. And Ii have no disabilities. Most of the time my sentence structure will be fine. But i may have blind spots and how will I ever know if someone doesn't point them out to me.

This thread WAS meant to clear the air and help me understand what is going on with my errant posts. I now under fully the error's I was making. And pretty much it was some bad habits I picked up.

As for your witty remark, all my nyc friends understand me fine. And since I am selling gemstones as a business, I am calling around the world, with great results.

thanks anyway

• Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

... Most of the time my sentence structure will be fine...

Just not at any point in THIS thread.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Just not at any point in THIS thread.

hEY i am agreat example for your 6 yr old on what NOT to do .

• Reply 16 of 27
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Yes,My space bar mis-use.I never noticed that till now.THANK YOU. I have a rare disease of Dyslexia of the left hand. A blinding fast downwards twitch of my lower thumb area barely flicking the space bar. A family hidden shame I carry alone with great sadness.

I have not written letters of any kind except for business letters to my clients that are short and sweet. I also have over 30,000 post's in various pink floyd forums, but over there punctuation is not so tight. So it has been since high school back in 1977 that i have wrote < or is it written ?> in a correct manner. I have since then picked up many bad habit's.

I feel that except for my radical views, i can post here at AI in a correct manner. I will never fully be proficient at proper sentence structure. I tend to write exactly the same as i would speak on a phone.BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST.

Also i CAN SEE a forum wide problem of facts being thrown around with no regard for their validity.

peace

This is not meant to be a criticism but just a critique - for help in your next post.

Yes, [space after comma and lower case m in MY] My space bar is [helper verb] misused [one word]. [Space after period]. I never noticed that till now. THANK YOU [Thank you - Do not scream]. I have a rare disease of dyslexia [lower case d in dyslexia] of the left hand. A blinding fast downwards twitch of my lower [lower thumb? Do you have an upper thumb? No wonder you have trouble writing.] thumb area barely flicking the space bar. A family hidden shame I carry alone with great sadness.

I have not written letters of any kind except for business letters to my clients that are short and sweet. I also have over 30,000 post's {posts is plural, not possessive=posts] in various Pink Floyd [proper nouns are capitalized] forums, but over there [over where?], punctuation is not so tight. So it has been since high school back in 1977 that i [I is always capitalized as King suggested] have wrote < or is it written ?> [written=participle with a helping verb-have] in a correct manner. I have since then picked up many bad habit's [habits-plural, not possessive].

I feel that except for my radical views, i can post here at AI in a correct manner. I will never fully be [be fully] proficient at proper sentence structure. I tend to write exactly the same as i would speak on a phone. [space after a period] BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST. [But I will try my best - DO NOT scream].

Also i [I - capitalized] CAN SEE [can see - DO NOT scream] a forum wide problem of facts being thrown around with no regard for their validity.

peace [Peace]

Try not to start sentences with "So" and "But". It is not incorrect, but it is gauche.

I would much appreciate a critique of my critique, as I know I make mistakes.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

This is not meant to be a criticism but just a critique - for help in your next post.

Yes, [space after comma and lower case m in MY] My space bar is [helper verb] misused [one word]. [Space after period]. I never noticed that till now. THANK YOU [Thank you - Do not scream]. I have a rare disease of dyslexia [lower case d in dyslexia] of the left hand. A blinding fast downwards twitch of my lower [lower thumb? Do you have an upper thumb? No wonder you have trouble writing.] thumb area barely flicking the space bar. A family hidden shame I carry alone with great sadness.

I have not written letters of any kind except for business letters to my clients that are short and sweet. I also have over 30,000 post's {posts is plural, not possessive=posts] in various Pink Floyd [proper nouns are capitalized] forums, but over there [over where?], punctuation is not so tight. So it has been since high school back in 1977 that i [I is always capitalized as King suggested] have wrote < or is it written ?> [written=participle with a helping verb-have] in a correct manner. I have since then picked up many bad habit's [habits-plural, not possessive].

I feel that except for my radical views, i can post here at AI in a correct manner. I will never fully be [be fully] proficient at proper sentence structure. I tend to write exactly the same as i would speak on a phone. [space after a period] BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST. [But I will try my best - DO NOT scream].

Also i [I - capitalized] CAN SEE [can see - DO NOT scream] a forum wide problem of facts being thrown around with no regard for their validity.

peace [Peace]

Try not to start sentences with "So" and "But". It is not incorrect, but it is gauche.

I would much appreciate a critique of my critique, as I know I make mistakes.

Thank you very, very much. I truly appreciate your help. I grew up in the sixties or is it sixtie's? Anyway it was to say the least, a very stoned out time for me. All these years later i regret not paying attention more in high school.

I agree with everything you have said. Except of course the thumb part. Re-read the passage again please. My lower thumb area or I might have said the side of my palm. The whole first paragraph was joke. I do have a bad habit of hitting the space bar at the wrong time.

Again you have been great. Thank you.

Peace

• Reply 18 of 27
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Thank you very, very much. I truly appreciate your help. I grew up in the sixties or is it sixtie's [sixties-plural, not possessive]? Anyway it was to say the least, a very stoned out time for me. All these years later i regret not paying attention more in high school.

I agree with everything you have said. Except of course the thumb part. Re-read the passage again please. My lower thumb area or I might have said the side of my palm. The whole first paragraph was joke. I do have a bad habit of hitting the space bar at the wrong time.

Again you have been great. Thank you.

Peace

Brucep,

You may not be good with grammar, but you're a good sport. I salute you.

Piece (sic)
  • Reply 19 of 27
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    brucep,

We all have something we need to work better at in our lives.

For example:

Some people are as*holes and can't place themselves in the others shoes before uttering something that will upset the other.

Some people are dyslexic, some people talk to dam loud.

Some people tend to spit when they talk, or pick their nose in public.

Some people have issues that are not so obvious, some are obvious.

Whatever it is we need to work on, just keep at it and smile because one day it will be fine.

Me, I'm perfect. I don't need any improvement obviously.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Brucep,

You may not be good with grammar, but you're a good sport. I salute you.

Piece (sic)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

brucep,

We all have something we need to work better at in our lives.

For example:

Some people are as*holes and can't place themselves in the others shoes before uttering something that will upset the other.

Some people are dyslexic, some people talk to dam loud.

Some people tend to spit when they talk, or pick their nose in public.

Some people have issues that are not so obvious, some are obvious.

Whatever it is we need to work on, just keep at it and smile because one day it will be fine.

Me, I'm perfect. I don't need any improvement obviously.

You very nice apple fans have extented a hand of help to me, and have managed to coach me, all the while doing no harm to my pride.

Peace