iMac 2.4GHz vs. iMac 2.66GHz

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was curious of peoples opinions on the below comparison. The price difference is $150 more for iMac 2. I see that bringing the RAM equal would be $25-30 on Crucial, and for both to bring it up to the 4GB supported is like $50-60. so not a big difference, and I'd probably do that regardless of which one was purchased.

So really, the main dividing factors are the 1) processor speed bump, 2) 250 vs 320 GB drive and 3) the graphics card. Also, is there a difference between "fronside bus" and "system bus" that greatly impacts performance? Do you think these differences are worth $150 price increase?

Lastly, if you think it is worth it, is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO or the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M a better/more reliable choice for graphics card?

iMac 1: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

20-inch glossy widescreen display

1GB memory

250GB hard drive

L2 Cache 6MB Shared

1066MHz System Bus

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning

iMac 2: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

20-inch glossy widescreen display

2GB memory

320GB hard drive

L2 Cache 6MB Shared

1066MHz Frontside Bus

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory OR NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The 2.66 with out a doubt, the price difference is hardly noticeable and the performance increase will be very noticeable, especially the RAM.

EDIT: Of and get NIVIDA for the GC with out a doubt.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The difference in processor speed wouldn't enter into my decision making process. When it's that close, all the other details are more important.

For instance, a computer with a 50% full hard drive will be significantly faster than one with a 80% full drive. No really, the free percentage has an absolutely massive impact on disk performance.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Strange Lulz View Post

The 2.66 with out a doubt, the price difference is hardly noticeable and the performance increase will be very noticeable, especially the RAM.

EDIT: Of and get NIVIDA for the GC with out a doubt.

Someone said that on another board about the NVIDIA due to the Open CL support. Is that your reasoning also?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Partly, also because it is becoming Apple standard and thus the vast majority of their software is optimised for it.