AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters

Comments

• Reply 181 of 206
    ebaydan777ebaydan777 Posts: 269member
    ok so after that announcement ATT made about dropping the price of the phone for anyone eligible in June, July, August or Sept, well im eligible July 12, of this year..but when i go online to try and purchase it off att.com or apple.com it still says that a 16gb is 399 and 32gb is 499..which is this gonna be updated

just making sure that I can go into apple tomorrow and pick up my pre-orderd 3GS without a hassle..
  • Reply 182 of 206
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ok so after that announcement ATT made about dropping the price of the phone for anyone eligible in June, July, August or Sept, well im eligible July 12, of this year..but when i go online to try and purchase it off att.com or apple.com it still says that a 16gb is 399 and 32gb is 499..which is this gonna be updated

just making sure that I can go into apple tomorrow and pick up my pre-orderd 3GS without a hassle..

There are no Apple or ATT reps here. Call them if you want to know.

But if you're not eligible til July 12, I wouldn't expect to get any different price. ATT didn't lower the price for "anyone" eligible in those months, only their better customers. Sounds like you're paying the price you agreed to, $399.
  • Reply 183 of 206
    The announcement isn't only confusing to the customer but to ATT customer service reps as well. I kept getting a try again later msg dialing *639# so I called ATT today. The first rep had to research my eligibility and the call dropped. Called right back and got a different rep who didn't even know about the announcement. Long story short the requirements were spend over $99 combined, purchase the 3G from July to Sept 08, and your account needs to be in good standing. She said I met the requirements and noted my account. I had already ordered my phone from the Apple store (my eligibility originally said Nov 2009 and was charged $499) so they said to call Apple Store customer service to get my credit. Apple rep says no problem after putting me on hold for a few minutes to research and to expect a credit on my credit card in 3-5 days. Hopefully every thing goes thru as it seemed too easy. Best advice is to call up ATT if in doubt.
  • Reply 184 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RR BuGGz View Post

The announcement isn't only confusing to the customer but to ATT customer service reps as well. I kept getting a try again later msg dialing *639# so I called ATT today. The first rep had to research my eligibility and the call dropped. Called right back and got a different rep who didn't even know about the announcement. Long story short the requirements were spend over $99 combined, purchase the 3G from July to Sept 08, and your account needs to be in good standing. She said I met the requirements and noted my account. I had already ordered my phone from the Apple store (my eligibility originally said Nov 2009 and was charged $499) so they said to call Apple Store customer service to get my credit. Apple rep says no problem after putting me on hold for a few minutes to research and to expect a credit on my credit card in 3-5 days. Hopefully every thing goes thru as it seemed too easy. Best advice is to call up ATT if in doubt.

If only these people had some way to know that they all should call ATT instead of posting on an Apple fan site!
  • Reply 185 of 206
    ebaydan777ebaydan777 Posts: 269member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

But if you're not eligible til July 12, I wouldn't expect to get any different price. ATT didn't lower the price for "anyone" eligible in those months, only their better customers. Sounds like you're paying the price you agreed to, $399.

better customers?

you are retarded

and ya im eligible by the way
  • Reply 186 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

better customers?

you are retarded

and ya im eligible by the way

There you go! You're one of their better customers.

Explain to me why the concept of there being "better" customers and "worse" is a problem? Any company wants more customers who give it higher profits. Those are better customers. You're one of them!
  • Reply 187 of 206
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Any company wants more customers who give it higher profits. Those are better customers. You're one of them!

"BING!"
  • Reply 188 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

Ok, I will give you my advice then.....You will be wasting money filing the suit, you will be laughed out of the courtroom by everyone involved, and you will publicly mocked across the media-world for trying to win such a case

Then as an attorney you of course know that:

1. Most class action suits of this type are handled on a contingency fee type basis by specialized attorneys and law firms. The plaintiffs rarely pay anything up front.

2. Most class action suits of this type never see a courtroom much less go to trial. Generally its a matter of the expense to settle versus the costs to defend. Further if the case has real merit the risks of further exposing controversial or unpopular business practices through the discovery process is too great.

Thank you very much though for sharing your professional insights.

http://classactionworld.com
  • Reply 189 of 206
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Then as an attorney you of course know that:

1. Most class action suits of this type ....

And there is where you go astray. What was being described (AT&T's upgrade policy is unclear to me! I may have to sue!) is not a "type", it's a random, baseless thought.

You could have posted exactly the same thing if the proposed litigation was regarding how Polo had taken to making some of their shirts too blue, but that wouldn't confer rationality on the idea.
  • Reply 190 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And there is where you go astray. What was being described (AT&T's upgrade policy is unclear to me! I may have to sue!) is not a "type", it's a random, baseless thought.

You could have posted exactly the same thing if the proposed litigation was regarding how Polo had taken to making some of their shirts too blue, but that wouldn't confer rationality on the idea.

Did you catch it? He was defending his idea of filing a stupid class action suit by pointing out that most class action suits are stupid. Ha!
  • Reply 191 of 206
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

1. Most class action suits of this type are handled on a contingency fee type basis by specialized attorneys and law firms. The plaintiffs rarely pay anything up front.

With the type of suit he was filing? No, chances are high he would not be given a contingency fee. As for the plaintiffs rarely paying anything up front, I have to laugh a bit at that. Maybe you rarely get paid, attorneys that know what they are doing get paid.

Quote:

2. Most class action suits of this type never see a courtroom much less go to trial.

Really? You have much experience in the courtroom with these cases?
  • Reply 192 of 206
    quispquisp Posts: 1member
    This isn't totally accurate. It is presented as if early adopters get the standard pricing. This is only true if you've been giving AT&T $100 or more per month during that time. Beware. I just

wasted a lot of time after being assured I'd get the lower rate. And no, I didn't get the upgrade anyway. I'm going to wait and see what happens to exclusivity as you still need to sign a two year contract.
  • Reply 193 of 206
    nubinubi Posts: 1member
    I am so very offended by the whole affair. I water-damaged my 3G 3 months ago, bought it last August, and today they say it will cost me $499 for 32G.

I just terminated my contract for $125 and switched to Verizon, and got a free phone.
  • Reply 194 of 206
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Both me and my wife have iphones.. on family plan.. only one phone can get the upgrade.. Can we get the upgrade and put her sim card in it and go .. and sell here iphone and i keep my phone.. Att said as long as the number is not disconnected and we still pay the data plan we can use what ever phone we want.. I dont want to get ride of my current 3g but we have young kids and the video would come in handy.. any thoughts.. Crazy is here price is more then mine but she only gets billed the 30 dollar data plan.. all on same account.. Please help...
  • Reply 195 of 206
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

After 4 pages of this . All the crying and hand wringing it boils down to this .

You paid a low price to sign a 2 yr contract.

That contract allows AT&T to recoupe the money for the lower price it teased you in at. After 18 months you can break said contract and start all over again.

YOU SIGNED THIS CONTRACT

Still with me.

Some people who have high monthly bills that have allowed AT&T to recoupe their money faster, CAN upgrade right now.

If you all had bothered to read the responces you would know this 3 x to sunday.

Now this new fangled 3GS IPHONE IS A MONSTER PHONE. FAST / sexy /sleek /fun / never get lost in brooklyn / the pie is in the sky. A ton of people converged on my house last night and were going nuts about all the cool stuff. My 2 kids watched the apple tv commercials on there imac alum, from the first to the last.

I live in staen island nyc and i have a bunch of apple stuff here and i am known as the apple freak . I have many converts. Whats my point ?? instead of crying you could have been enjoying the spontanteous iphone street parties held all over america.

So if you really gotta have it then pay on avg 45 cts a day more and buy it !!! So little for so much. YOU guys are entering into a 1800$ or more agreement with AT6T ALL YOU have to do to get the iphone today is add 32 cts a day for 2 yrs and its yours.

Or stay angry and never even enjoy your phone because of all the pent up bad feelings you have put on your phone.

.32 cts a day for 725 days .

go

do it

apple stores are now open they know you coming

but won't fuss over you apple loves you

hey look there's one right over there grab it

buy it no no don't think buy it

you feel good

post back to us for your free hugs and good feelings .

go

• Reply 196 of 206
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Both me and my wife have iphones.. on family plan.. only one phone can get the upgrade.. Can we get the upgrade and put her sim card in it and go .. and sell here iphone and i keep my phone.. Att said as long as the number is not disconnected and we still pay the data plan we can use what ever phone we want.. I dont want to get ride of my current 3g but we have young kids and the video would come in handy.. any thoughts.. Crazy is here price is more then mine but she only gets billed the 30 dollar data plan.. all on same account.. Please help...

ONE get a real video camera for your kids . Buy A middle priced sony cam corder, Its your kids dude .

With the upgrade you sign a new contract. Go online to the AT^T store and read up a bit .While still online call ATT and explain to them . Have you wife call also at the same time and see if you both get the same deal .

I am not sure of what you really want to do ?

DID you want both phones to go too 3GS??? And then sell both old phones .

Or you keep yours and simply upgrade your wifes ??

You can switch between phones data plans before you upgade .

Call them back and let us know what happened.
  • Reply 197 of 206
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ONE get a real video camera for your kids . Buy A middle priced sony cam corder, Its your kids dude .

With the upgrade you sign a new contract. Go online to the AT^T store and read up a bit .While still online call ATT and explain to them . Have you wife call also at the same time and see if you both get the same deal .

I am not sure of what you really want to do ?

DID you want both phones to go too 3GS??? And then sell both old phones .

Or you keep yours and simply upgrade your wifes ??

You can switch between phones data plans before you upgade .

Call them back and let us know what happened.

Maybe I can explain better... We have a very nice Canon HD camera.. But the wife does not want to lug around 24/7. So I Was going to get the new 3gs and take over her I phone.. and sell my current I phone.. so she did not have to pay the upgrade pricing.. (they only bill her 20$ a month for Texting.) becauase I really dont want to upgrade..
  • Reply 198 of 206
    rabbettrabbett Posts: 1member
    AT&T's letter said - according to Apple Insider

"Instead, AT&T said iPhone 3G owners could upgrade to a 16GB or 32GB iPhone 3G S for $399 or $499, respectively, if they wished to do so before they became eligible for upgrade pricing either 12 or 18 months into their iPhone 3G contract."

According to the AT&T customer service person I spoke with, even tho my one year into my contract is up in August they will not honor the terms of the letter. They told me I am not eligible for the $299 price on the 3G S until January of 2010. One way around it was for me to either add another phone and line I don't need or want or to buy a go-phone for $20. What a crock.

I've been an AT&T customer since the motorola brick days and this is how they treat their long term customers. Maybe by January another carrier will be able to offer iPhone plans...
  • Reply 199 of 206
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Maybe I can explain better... We have a very nice Canon HD camera.. But the wife does not want to lug around 24/7. So I Was going to get the new 3gs and take over her I phone.. and sell my current I phone.. so she did not have to pay the upgrade pricing.. (they only bill her 20$ a month for Texting.) becauase I really dont want to upgrade..

Then consider this to be a low cost camcorder as well, and suck up the extra dollars. You often have to pay for convenience.

Also, look up where you can sell your older phones, and for how much. You can recoup some, or all of the extra cost that way.

The video on the new phone is decent, though it has no zoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYi3e...eature=related
  • Reply 200 of 206
    I really do understand that when we sign a contract we cant complain if we cant upgrade early...I get that...AT&T can stop beating us over the head with their corporate posturing...fine...okay...

But what irritates me is this: My wife and I bought a EDGE iphone and service in January of 2008. We bought the 3G the day it came out. Now my account shows that ONE of my lines can get the subsidized price in JUly of 2009 and the other line has to wait for March of 2010. Its this point that is causing me the annoyance since they are parlaying a 'contract terms change' from September of 2008 to apply such logic. I pay nearly 170 a month for both our phones (unlimited everything) and yet, what they do is use the technicality of ONE line being the primary as a justification for having two separate upgrade dates. I guess the other option was two separate accounts at 120 a piece but that seems like gouging and ridiculous. I mean, how many couples or families would ever agree to that?

As per my initial statement, I get it AT&T...you are the exclusive carrier, you set the rules for us contract monkeys...I get it...but dont defy logic with these preposterous scenarios. If we have an account, and we HAVE to set it up with one primary line and dont offer the option of TWO primary lines, then dont pull this nonsense as a way to take advantage of your situation as the exclusive carrier. All I wanted was for the same rules to apply to both lines. I am not asking for anything but for you to apply your rules evenly. Or just say, NO to everyone who wants the pricing early. I spend 2000 a year on service that isnt that great...so if you have to eat 200 per phone, are you really doing anything other than making me wish I had a choice?

We left Verizon in January 2008 for the iPhone...I do believe all cell phone companies who engage in contract pricing will always have customers who feel abused...some are worse than others. The fact is that the service is horrible compared to Verizon and I am just glad I mostly text cause the call quality is medicore at best. I live in San DIego, CA so I am not in some podunk rural village...

So let this be a messgae for others in a similar situation and know that I have no solution just yet. I dont know what i want to do.. Do I pay the unsubsidized price for one of them only to find myself int he same predicament next year? Do I hold on to my 3G and see if 2010 bring a Verizon iPhone? Its a quandry because I am just not one who waits on new technology. If something works faster and better, and I use it a lot and its a main function for me, then I wont wait. I use my iPhone and Mac a lot and dont like the 'getting by' mentality. but I really dont know what to do.

--Jason