Archive Install?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Would I be right in thinking that archive install (up to jaguar) results in faster performance than upgrade but not quite as fast as clean install?

It's just that, I can't clean install at the moment because there's a paperclip stuck in my CD-RW, yes, a paperclip

(stupid disk utility thinks it can freeze up my drives whenever it wants just 'cause it's carbon-based well if I was a carbon-based application maybe I'd go in there and show it what I think of It's stupid firewire communications system and then I'd...)

anyway, what does archive install keep, what does it move where and what does it delete?

Please help, I need some advice.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    FYI, Disk Utility is a Cocoa app, not Carbon. Furthermore, it's just ignorant to complain about an app based merely on whether it was developed in Carbon or Cocoa. Both are mature, viable solutions for developing software. You can make a bad Cocoa app just as you can a bad Carbon app.

Anyhow, "Archive and Install" is perfectly safe because it simply moves all your files into a new folder at the root level of the drive called "previous Installation" if I recall correctly. Then, the System folder and supporting folders are installed cleanly, brand new.

Truth be told, here is *no* rubric for gauging whether different kinds of upgrades will affect your system performance and speed. It depends mostly on the amount of crud built up around your system. In theory, the clean install is generally no better than the archive install. Both cleanly install new System folders. Yet, some people notice better performance. There can be only two reasons for this: the performance boost is placebo or it is caused by forcibly optimizing the drive. If the latter, then you will probably only experience this if your drive is already nearing full or heavily fragmented.

[ 10-15-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    The other possibility is that doing the clean install and archive can also restore system settings and preferences... so while you do get a clean system, you might have a bad preference or something that gets copied back into it.

However, that's never happened to me, and I mostly use the clean install and archive option with the restore system settings option, and it works fine.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote] FYI, Disk Utility is a Cocoa app, not Carbon. Furthermore, it's just ignorant to complain about an app based merely on whether it was developed in Carbon or Cocoa. Both are mature, viable solutions for developing software. You can make a bad Cocoa app just as you can a bad Carbon app.<hr></blockquote> I knew someone would pick me up on that, I just made a wild guess, I'm willing to sacrifice continuity for the sake of describing problems in the form of Homer Simpson style aggrevated muttering.

Thanks, I've only had OS X for a month or two so It looks like archive install should be fine for me, Oh well only a couple of weeks until I have Cubase SX running hopefully, (mmm VST!)

Andrew