Apple 30" LED display?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Do you think Apple will bring out an LED Display like they have now with the 24" ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Right now they'd either have to take a big loss or charge $1000 more.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

why? Did they bump up the price of the 24" when they made it led-lit? I am also waiting for the led/displayport/iSight/still matte 30".
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

why? Did they bump up the price of the 24" when they made it led-lit? I am also waiting for the led/displayport/iSight/still matte 30".

No, they just kept it the same when everything else it is cheaper. Apple does not magically control component costs and they're not going to sell a product at a loss.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

No, they just kept it the same when everything else it is cheaper. Apple does not magically control component costs and they're not going to sell a product at a loss.

Well, I still don't see why that says that they would have to bump up the price of the 30" by $1000. What is it that would make the 30" $1000 more with LED lighting? Wouldn't they just keep it the same price like they did the 24"?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    They'd sell alot of them at at price because they'd be half as much as every other 30" LED display on the market, they again, they'd probably be losing money on them. Apple can't wave a magic wand and make component prices what they want them to be. If LG or Samsung demand $1500 for the parts, Apple can't sell a display for $1800.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The price of the Apple 30" display in the Refurbished section has been CAN$1799. for a long time.

Today, it's fallen to $1499. Something is afoot.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The price of the Apple 30" display in the Refurbished section has been CAN$1799. for a long time.

Today, it's fallen to $1499. Something is afoot.

I think so to.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    I'll be ordering the new (customized) 17" MBP next week. If Apple miraculously intros the new 30" LED by then I'll buy it in a haertbeat! Have been waiting for them to introduce a new 30" Cinema Display for soooo long now.

Btw, I'm looking in the used market for Apple's 30" display and see some for $800. Tempting!!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Hell it's 2 grand for a 55" LCD with an IPS panel and Local Dimming.

You can't tell me that there's a significant price premium for a 30" IPS LED backlit

TV. Someones being lazy.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I think it's a case of Apple wanting to beat the existing 30" price, not match it.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Hell it's 2 grand for a 55" LCD with an IPS panel and Local Dimming.

You can't tell me that there's a significant price premium for a 30" IPS LED backlit

TV. Someones being lazy.

May I ask which model 55" that would be?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Is the flickering issue solved when using ACD30" and DualDVILink MiniDisplayport adapter?

Could this be the cause of ACD30" not being updated, yet?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Apparently the miniDisplayPort to DualLink DVI adapter with the latest firmware version 1.0.2 fixes all issues.

The adapter's firmware is not user-upgradable, one needs to have it replaced in an Apple Store.

So that's not the reason holding Apple back.

But I agree with Frank777 that Apple would like to have an even lower price for the new 30" monitor.

It'll be interesting to see where Apple will go with the matte/glassy surface debate on the next 30" ACD.

Since it's undoubtedly a 'pro' product one could argue that it should have a matte surface.

But even the 17" MBP only offers it as a build-to-order option. And I don't see the 30" coming in two versions. Apple is likely not selling enough units to warrant two variants.

Since (an admittedly slim) majority of people still prefers the shiny screen and if faced with having to pick just one variant, and also in light of uniform LCD monitor designs Apple will likely opt for a glassy surface.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a matte new 30" ACD.

The only thing that holds me back though is the advent of DRM in movies where we'll soon be forced to watch movies on monitors that have built-in DRM chips. And I am not aware that the currently sold 30" ACD include DRM hardware.

And it would just be nice to watch movies on a bigger screen...

So not much point in buying the current 30" ACD if you want to be future proof in regards to HD movie watching.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

Why?

Samsung sell a (admittedly slightly lower res) full HD 40" LED panel for £1199 (inc VAT) (About $1,700).

The 30" display is only £100 less at the moment.

Whilst this isn't quite a like for like example I can't believe that a 30" LED display couldn't be done for the rip off price Apple is charging for the current display.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

May I ask which model 55" that would be?

Don't know about 55", but Samsung, LG, Vizio, Sony, Sharp and Panasonic all sell 50"+ 1080p LCDs for less than $2000 right now. Check Amazon.