Apple's Mac shipments rebounding sharply in recent weeks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

That's the one that bugs me the most. And now that there is one study that indicates glossy is bad for your head, I want matte even more.

15" anti-glare would have sold me for sure.

I hope you visited my signature link and made your point known, Apple is going to see it, even if I have to fly to Cupertino myself.

Quote:

There may be a software work around for the glare problem .

Replace my eyes and brain, it's soft and it works.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    This should help push back those that constantly complained that Apple's products cost too much (while opening their wallets and buying them anyway). Those lame MS ads have also been neutralized. Hopefully Apple will realize that sometimes lower prices is a Good Thing, and will implement price reductions on all of it's products.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

This should help push back those that constantly complained that Apple's products cost too much (while opening their wallets and buying them anyway). Those lame MS ads have also been neutralized. Hopefully Apple will realize that sometimes lower prices is a Good Thing, and will implement price reductions on all of it's products.

Trajectory, I'd like to give you an assignment. In one Safari window, go to the Apple page and look up the tech specs for the 15" MBP. In another Safari window, go to the Dell page and look up the tech specs on their Studio 15 laptop. Now, configure a Dell Studio 15 with comparable (or better) specs to the MBP and check the prices. Let us know what you find out. I suspect you have never done this -- you'll be surprised. Of course, Apple isn't competing on price; that's not what they do. Nor are they competing on best tech specs (Dell has more RAM, bigger faster hard drives, faster processors, higher res anti-glare screens, etc, etc.) Now, I'm not saying Apple or Dell is better -- they are simply "different". Just trying to point out that the MBP is a lot more expensive than you realize -- even after the recent price reduction. Keep in mind that Dell isn't even the lowest cost PC. Therefore, I wouldn't classify the MS ads as lame, and I wouldn't consider them to be neutralized.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregMcAfee View Post

Trajectory, I'd like to give you an assignment. In one Safari window, go to the Apple page and look up the tech specs for the 15" MBP. In another Safari window, go to the Dell page and look up the tech specs on their Studio 15 laptop. Now, configure a Dell Studio 15 with comparable (or better) specs to the MBP and check the prices. Let us know what you find out. I suspect you have never done this -- you'll be surprised. Of course, Apple isn't competing on price; that's not what they do. Nor are they competing on best tech specs (Dell has more RAM, bigger faster hard drives, faster processors, higher res anti-glare screens, etc, etc.) Now, I'm not saying Apple or Dell is better -- they are simply "different". Just trying to point out that the MBP is a lot more expensive than you realize -- even after the recent price reduction. Keep in mind that Dell isn't even the lowest cost PC. Therefore, I wouldn't classify the MS ads as lame, and I wouldn't consider them to be neutralized.

The Dell comes w/a 2 yr warranty included, so bump that to 3 yr and add applecare. I did the 15" $2k satrting cost and came out to $2349 w/the applecare. Similar Dell Studio was $1414. Tech specs matched as closely as possible. Something similar to the 13" can be made for only a couple hundred less than Apple at HP's site or could a couple of weeks ago when I was playing around.

$200 I could see as an acceptable "Mac Tax" or "One-Time Fee to Get Rid of Microsoft Tax", but $900 is much harder to swallow for someone considering switching. Especially if they like to run comparative numbers. Cold hard cash speaks louder than anything else for a large number of people.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I did the 15" $2k satrting cost and came out to $2349 w/the applecare. Similar Dell Studio was $1414. Tech specs matched as closely as possible.

What kind of display is in that Dell laptop? That right there is the cost difference - guarantee it.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

15" anti-glare would have sold me for sure.

I hope you visited my signature link and made your point known, Apple is going to see it, even if I have to fly to Cupertino myself.

Replace my eyes and brain, it's soft and it works.

stop bitching and lets organize an email campain
  • Reply 27 of 30
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

What kind of display is in that Dell laptop? That right there is the cost difference - guarantee it.

15.6? High Definition+ (900p) Bright LED Display with TrueLife? and Camera [add $50 or $2/month1]

That's what it says on the build. You are honestly trying to tell me that a same size screen that MIGHT be higher quality (Dell doesn't give an option to give you more information about the screen in teh customization section) is somehow worth $900? What are you smoking?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

In the MSFT world, the PC fanboys are claiming victory since Apple was FORCED to lower their prices and margins, and despite that, still only has 1 laptop under $1000. So in the long run, Apple will make less profit, have to cut back on innovation, and thus, fail against the mighty MSFT team.

(Delusional!)

Yeap, I've seen it - they seem to ignore one piece of the puzzle though; Apple keeps a strong leash on costs. They don't go out creating hair brained ideas that contribute nothign to the bottom line. Just look at the amount of crap that Microsoft's R&D division are working on and tell me that the are of some tangible use to real world products.

Couple that with Apple's dropping of the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome where instead of re-inventing the wheel they embrace already existing opensource components and delivery value to the consumer based on it. Case in point, Spotlight/CoreData and the use of Sqlite, Freetype library in their iPod products, Xorg for X11 support etc.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

The Dell comes w/a 2 yr warranty included, so bump that to 3 yr and add applecare. I did the 15" $2k satrting cost and came out to $2349 w/the applecare. Similar Dell Studio was $1414. Tech specs matched as closely as possible. Something similar to the 13" can be made for only a couple hundred less than Apple at HP's site or could a couple of weeks ago when I was playing around.

$200 I could see as an acceptable "Mac Tax" or "One-Time Fee to Get Rid of Microsoft Tax", but $900 is much harder to swallow for someone considering switching. Especially if they like to run comparative numbers. Cold hard cash speaks louder than anything else for a large number of people.

And these consumers purchase the cheaper one and they're back to square one - they thought they were smart saving a few dollars but now they are pulling out there hair in frustration because its more trouble than the amount they saved.

I purchase a Mac because I want Mac OS X - quite honestly the specifications are of little interest to me given that I'm not a benchmarking freak. My concern is getting my work done and the difference, quite honestly, between a MacBook these days compared to a Sony or some other brand in a department store is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

bull .