Resolution independence in Leopard confirmed by Apple

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 184
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Thanks for the new images, chucker.

What do you think of my "no RI (by default) in OS X until OS X is cocoa-only" theory? Is a carbon-free 10.7 likely?

Well, Apple had started back in 10.4 development to provide APIs for ResInd at a lower level than Cocoa. And even aside from Carbon, there are cases where this will prove valuable, even in Cocoa apps. Basically, anything where you directly interface with Quartz.

Honestly, Apple's behavior with ResInd is kind of strange, and leads me to suspect that there are unexpected hold-ups, perhaps externally (maybe they expected higher-pixel density panelsto be available a lot sooner). Several of their apps ship partially vector-based, partially pixel-based. Some of the toolbar buttons in Safari 4 are PDFs (vector; infinitely scalable); some are PNGs (pixel; low-resolution). Same goes for, say, Screen Sharing.
  • Reply 182 of 184
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Well, Apple had started back in 10.4 development to provide APIs for ResInd at a lower level than Cocoa. And even aside from Carbon, there are cases where this will prove valuable, even in Cocoa apps. Basically, anything where you directly interface with Quartz.

Honestly, Apple's behavior with ResInd is kind of strange, and leads me to suspect that there are unexpected hold-ups, perhaps externally (maybe they expected higher-pixel density panelsto be available a lot sooner). Several of their apps ship partially vector-based, partially pixel-based. Some of the toolbar buttons in Safari 4 are PDFs (vector; infinitely scalable); some are PNGs (pixel; low-resolution). Same goes for, say, Screen Sharing.

I just wasn't sure if there were any carbon-based drawing APIs that were causing problems? Can developers still use QuickDraw or is that now gone entirely?

Another consideration is that if developers who are shipping Carbon apps (*cough* Microsoft *cough*) are dragging their heals on supporting RI, getting rid of Carbon entirely and forcing developers to go Cocoa should encourage them to get with the program on RI at the same time.
  • Reply 183 of 184
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I just wasn't sure if there were any carbon-based drawing APIs that were causing problems? Can developers still use QuickDraw or is that now gone entirely?

Another consideration is that if developers who are shipping Carbon apps (*cough* Microsoft *cough*) are dragging their heals on supporting RI, getting rid of Carbon entirely and forcing developers to go Cocoa should encourage them to get with the program on RI at the same time.

QuickDraw was deprecated in 10.4, and isn't available for 64-bit on 10.5, so it's essentially on life support. I'm not sure any major app uses it any more (I think Office 2008 moved away from it entirely?).

There are Carbon-specific ResInd APIs introduced in 10.4, but they weren't updated in 10.5. Given that 10.4 shipped with poor, broken, incomplete support for this, I wouldn't be surprised if no Carbon app will ever fully work with ResInd.

As for using ResInd as leverage to pressure vendors into dropping Carbon: there is plenty of that already, such as with 64-bit.
  • Reply 184 of 184
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to "Resolution independence in Snow Leopard denied by Apple"