Apple admits glossy sucks/>the word

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
APPLE ADMIT GLOOSY HEADACHES !!! No Not Really Apple admits nothing. EVER. They just fix it and proclaim eureka fire wire is better !!!

So i was happy to a nice article link on the apple website praising the screen color on all the new MBP line up

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

i excerped

a portion of the article below concerning GL;OSSY

>>>>>>>>>>>

Gloss And then there's the G word. The glossiness of the all-glass front of the MacBook Pro 13 and 15 inch models is an impediment to viewing the fine LCD panels that lurk underneath. That's because of the distracting and sometimes downright irritating reflections that can result. The MacBook Pro 17 inch is available in both glossy and extra-cost antiglare versions, but when Apple rolled out the MacBook Pro 13 inch and revamped MacBook Pro 15 inch, they didn't also introduce an antiglare option for the new models.

How much of a problem this will be is dependent on where you use your laptop and how much reflections raise your blood pressure. For us, they're a deal-stopper on both desktop and laptop displays that we intend to use for regular photo work. Simply put, gloss sucks.

If you read our last laptop display article, you might be sensing an uptick in our dislike for display glossiness. Apple is to blame:

First, by offering the MacBook Pro 17 inch with an antiglare display that is the mattest of the matte. Some matte displays are a touch too shiny, but the 17 inch antiglare is as wonderfully non-reflective as it gets.

Second, by placing juicy new LCD panels in the MacBook Pro 13 and 15 inch, and then covering them with an impossibly reflective glass front.

The rollovers below illustrate this. The first photo is of the glossy MacBook Pro 15 inch, carefully positioned to prevent reflections. Hold your cursor over the photo for a moment and you'll see how its mirror-like surface responds when a nearby window is uncovered. Yes, it's really that reflective.

Mirror Mirror: Roll your cursor over the photo to see how the MacBook Pro 15 inch's all-glass front shows the reflection of a nearby window (Photo by Rob Galbraith/Little Guy Media)

Next up is the optional antiglare display of the MacBook Pro 17 inch. Roll your cursor over the photo and you'll see how it handles the same window reflection. The before/after difference is subtle, so if you don't notice it at first, try moving your cursor away from and then back over the photo several times.

Matte Book: Roll your cursor over the photo to see how the MacBook Pro 17 inch antiglare display shows the reflection of the same nearby window (Photo by Rob Galbraith/Little Guy Media) blah blah blah

end of story

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So mactripper was on to something huh

glossy sucks right ???

Well i still love it

I still love the glass screen

I make adjusts ments for viewing

But apple should offer a free touch to anyone upset about thee glossy screen .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Apple isn't admitting anything. Apple is referring to a review that praises the MacBook Pro line-up for its displays, especially concerning color accuracy: "colour accuracy in the three MacBook Pro displays is as right as we've seen in a laptop display, equal to or better than some midrange desktop displays and not that far off the level of colour correctness found in a premium desktop display". That same article happens to complain about gloss. Apple doesn't quote that part, nor provide any commentary on that part. So stop being disingenuous.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Apple isn't admitting anything. Apple is referring to a review that praises the MacBook Pro line-up for its displays, especially concerning color accuracy: "color accuracy in the three MacBook Pro displays is as right as we've seen in a laptop display, equal to or better than some midrange desktop displays and not that far off the level of color correctness found in a premium desktop display". That same article happens to complain about gloss. Apple doesn't quote that part, nor provide any commentary on that part. So stop being disingenuous.

Thank you checker dude . Yes, of course since its on apple's famous HOT NEWS line up that apple supports 100 percent its contents .

Of course I am inferring the fact that a major put down of glossy on an apple hot news web site means something .. And it's NOT two different things. I am not being disingenuous.

The article after the great praise it give the new MBP LINE UP, GOES ON TO slams the bad effect that putting glass on top of the excellent screen.

Apple is admitting that it has a problem. It allowed this writer to end the article by saying that it's a game changer, which I took to mean> >>>>> Don't buy it until the glare is glare-less.

Just talking

• Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I don't think they are admitting anything but it is interesting that they link to an article with quite a strong criticism of the glossy option by a professional photographer.

The service they reference where you can get the display replaced for matte for $200 is nice but quite expensive if they are keeping your glossy screen and could be selling it on for the same again to people who need a replacement.

It's sad people are having to go to those lengths because of Apple's stubbornness and because otherwise, they are great laptops. Fast 30MB/s SDHC slots, high quality display panels, good battery life and they look much better than other laptops with good screens - that Lenovo machine is horrible.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

But apple should offer a free touch to anyone upset about thee glossy screen .

you are tripping. i love the glossy screens on my 24" iMac at work and my brand spanking new 17" mbp. but even i would say that i didn't like them i there was a free iPod Touch up for grabs.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

you are tripping. i love the glossy screens on my 24" iMac at work and my brand spanking new 17" mbp. but even i would say that i didn't like them i there was a free iPod Touch up for grabs.

I was joking

i love glossy

• Reply 6 of 6
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I was joking

i love glossy

<chuckle>, no worries...