cannot delete a file

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm using 10.2.2. I was d/l a file in Explorer when my machine crashed. and now when i try to delete the file I was downloading it says that the file "is being used by another task right now." and to "try again when the other task is complete".

I have since d/l a bunch of other files using Explorer and therefore the problem file is not showing up in the download manager list any more or I would just delete it from there. that may have fixed the problem but I cannot do that now.

can anyone help me with this? how can i delete that file?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Hey andrew j, and welcome! Take a look at <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001717"; target="_blank">this thread</a>, which should help.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    If this file is on the desktop type into the terminal:

cd desktop [hit enter]

sudo rm theFileName [hit enter]

There ya go.

Now if it's not on the desktop:

open a terminal window, and type: sudo rm (with a space after rm), and drag the file onto the terminal window. Then hit enter.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I have a similar, though not the same problem.

When I try to empty the trash, I get the message:

The operation cannot be completed because the item

" HFS+ Private Data" is locked.

All that is in trash, when viewed thru the Finder is an empty folder called "Applications and Data"

However, when in Terminal, "Applications and Data" has a single file within it, namely "????????????HFS+ Private Data".

Now my question is, before I go nuts: How do I empty my Trash from the Terminal window? Can anyone help?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist:

<strong>

Now my question is, before I go nuts: How do I empty my Trash from the Terminal window? Can anyone help?</strong><hr></blockquote>

cd ~/.Trash

sudo rm [i]thefilename[/]

That should do it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Be aware that if you use sudo to force a file to be rm'ed that is in use, you may cause a Kernel failure ( as has been reported by others here already ).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    True, Mr. BillData, but andrew j said it was a download that was going on when IE crashed. Thus its not in use anymore, and no harm to the system.