Augmented reality in iPhone 3.1; new Snow Leopard build

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 67
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


    Does anyone have any idea if the v3.1 software improves reception issues that many have had since upgrading to v3.0? or is the rumor that the problem is changes AT&T has made to their networks?



    I have the 16 gig 3G I bought the first weekend after the launch. Right after I upgraded to 3.0 (second day the software came out) I had reception trouble that finally go so bad I couldn't make any calls or get online. I went to the Apple store and they replaced my phone with a new one (not 3GS unfortunately) because testing showed excessive modem resets, or something like that. I just made it under the wire on the one year warrantee too. Phew!



    My new phone works great. I have no idea if this had anything to do with 3.0 or whether my phone just picked that time to go bad. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    I have the 16 gig 3G I bought the first weekend after the launch. Right after I upgraded to 3.0 (second day the software came out) I had reception trouble that finally go so bad I couldn't make any calls or get online. I went to the Apple store and they replaced my phone with a new one (not 3GS unfortunately) because testing showed excessive modem resets, or something like that. I just made it under the wire on the one year warrantee too. Phew!



    My new phone works great. I have no idea if this had anything to do with 3.0 or whether my phone just picked that time to go bad. Hope this helps.



    It's not likely 3.0 related. My 3G phone started to get a lot of static (on my end only).

    The speaker phone worked fine.



    I had to drive 115 miles to an Apple Store because AT&T won't service them (only other option was to send my phone in and be without it for 2 weeks).



    My appt was on a Saturday at 11:50AM. I ended up seeing a "Genius" over an hour late.

    He didn't blink an eye and said it was a known problem. In my situation he replaced the entire front casing (which apparently includeds the ear piece). It took 10 minutes.



    Drove 115 miles home.



    The entire situation is a fricking Joke. I bought both my iPhones at my local AT&T store and they said they didn't bother with them and I have to either send it in or go to an Apple Store.



    Not only did I have to wait an hour I had to drive 230 miles to get my phone fixed.

    I wouldn't call that Free. By the way, no I can't live without my phone for 2 weeks. I use it for business and even if that weren't the case I couldn't live without it for 2 weeks either way.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    Also, new desktops in the altest SL-build:



    http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2009/07/14293/



    Oi! People have to pay for those. Why is he putting them on the web.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post


    Not only did I have to wait an hour I had to drive 230 miles to get my phone fixed.



    That's a long way. Hopefully when you get your next phone the Palm or Google store is a lot closer.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    That's a long way. Hopefully when you get your next phone the Palm or Google store is a lot closer.



    I have 3 Sprint stores and 5 AT&T stores (that I know of) in my town. I don't think that will be a problem.



    Guess my town and the 6 other towns between mine and the closest Apple store is like Lauren. Just not cool enough to have an Apple Store.



    Wih any Luck, we'll get a Windows Store. The Best Buy here has 2 Macs (never running and when they are they have no WiFi) and all Windows Machines so it is likely.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post


    Apple is way behind the curve because they control everything. Including what I can put on my phone and view with Safari with their lack of support for Flash.



    Here you go, why don't you buy an HTC Hero so you can have "maddening" and "unusable" Flash.



    http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/htc-hero-review/



    Scroll towards the bottom to see the flash stuff.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post


    So I guess this will only work on 3GS iPhones. It's too bad there will no longer be iPhone parity between models. It means that a lot of the new applications that developers will be writing won't work on millions of older iPhones, further diluting their market potential.



    Your kidding, right?



    Apple should just freeze features now and never advance the platform?



    Go ahead, use the word Beleaguered - it will make you feel better
  • Reply 48 of 67
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    Doesn't matter who had it first. What matters is who executes the best. Whose software is going to be used most.



    Your wasting your time with "him".



    it's Tekstud 2.0 \
  • Reply 49 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post


    No I'm not, you're confusing Apple's version of augmented which requires GPS & Compass, as Androids shipping versions do.



    Here's wiki definition of Augmented Reality



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality



    Augmented reality (AR) is a field of computer research which deals with the combination of real-world and computer-generated data (virtual reality), where computer graphics objects are blended into real footage in real time. The term is believed to have been coined in 1990 by Thomas Caudell, an employee of Boeing at the time[1].




    You don't really have a 3G either, do you?[/QUOTE]



    I have both the original iPhone and the 3G. I use the original iPhone in my Bose dock. 5th Gen iPod hardrive died when I dropped it.



    The 3G I use ViewTi Golf & the better of the two GolfShot GPS. Neither can make an entire round since 3.0 came out so I back ordered the following the to get me through an entire round. That is why I continually complain about Apple and the iPhone.



    Over advertise, under deliver. I am moving to another phone (likely Android or Palm) when my contract is up. Whichever one has the best GPS golf App and can multi task for the entire line of Apps available.

    Not to mention the fact that I've grown to loath Jobs.



    Order Details:

    Code\tItem\tQty\tPrice\tTotal

    1058_JP-IP3G-BLK\tjuice pack? - iPhone 3G & 3G S\t1\t$99.95\t$99.95



    \tSub Total: \t$99.95

    \tTax: \t$0.00

    \tShipping: \t$31.89

    \tGrand Total: \t$131.84



    Edit. I messed up the quoting but you get the point.[/QUOTE]



    That definition mixes what was with what is, and with what's coming. Most of it is not applicable to what we are discussing here, which is cell phones.



    The apps that are generating the most excitement is not what the article was hardly even discussing, which is location based augmented reality, which needs, in all phones, both a GPS and a compass.



    You are trying to wiggle out of that. No one cares about F-35 helmets, or games. This isn't relevant to the discussion of this technology being applied to cell phones. Try to keep it on track.



    The modern expression of this technology is that of an app which allows you to move, turn, walk and otherwise find places of interest or importance to you in a locatable 3D space within the real environment.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post


    Your wasting your time with "him".



    it's Tekstud 2.0 \



    Don't get on Tekstud. He actually contributes.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    ...

    That definition mixes what was with what is, and with what's coming. Most of it is not applicable to what we are discussing here, which is cell phones.



    The apps that are generating the most excitement is not what the article was hardly even discussing, which is location based augmented reality, which needs, in all phones, both a GPS and at compass.



    You are trying to wiggle out of that. No one cares about F-35 helmets, or games. This isn't relevant to the discussion of this technology being applied to cell phones. Try to keep it on track.



    The modern expression of this technology is that of an app which allows you to move, turn, walk and otherwise find places of interest or importance to you in a locatable 3D space within the real environment.



    You better inform Wiki that a Moderator at an Apple Rumor site finds their definition outdated.



    Better Yet. send them a link to the currently working Android videos all over the web that are already doing what Apple is attempting to do.



    It's a wonder that they can't find the battery power for True Multi-Tasking, yet they can now do video and a copied job of Augmented Reality.



    Copy and Paste must take a hell of a lot of battery usage to make it work, no wonder why it took them 2 years.



    How about putting out an update before 3.1 that addresses the current bugs before introducing more.



    That would be the responsible thing to do.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post


    Does any other handset have the components like the 3Gs to do the same?



    All Android phones on the market have a hardware compass + gps, as well as the high end Nokia S60 phones released in the last year. Both Android and S60 phones have APIs for accessing the compass, GPS and live video feeds that are required for AR.



    It's cool that iPhone is getting these features too, because of its simplicity in developing software- making AR apps able to be made by more developers and reach a much wider audience.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post


    I had to drive 115 miles to an Apple Store because AT&T won't service them (only other option was to send my phone in and be without it for 2 weeks).



    Doesn't Apple offer "Advanced Exchange" over there? If you don't want to wait or go to an Apple Store, you pay $30 and they'll send out a new phone and a postage paid label to send the broken one back.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post


    Doesn't Apple offer "Advanced Exchange" over there? If you don't want to wait or go to an Apple Store, you pay $30 and they'll send out a new phone and a postage paid label to send the broken one back.



    AT&T said they don't even touch iPhones.



    I called Apple and told them my dilema and they said send it in or go to the Apple Store.



    I didn't care about the cost I have to have a phone 24/7. Every hour I dont have a phone costs me money. I called Apple and they said you have store X but I can't make an appointment for you. You have to Log into Apple, Go to the store and then make an appointment.



    AT&T & Apple failed me.



    EPIC FAIL on both APPLE AND AT&T.



    Why can't anyone but FRICKING Apple repair their products? Hell 7-11 is going to be selling the iPhone by next year. You'd think that the 85% of America that don't live near an Apple store would have more options.



    It cost me more than my battery pack I just purchased to get my phone fixed so I could finish a round of Golf without a DEAD BATTERY.



    DEAD BATTERY for 4.5 hours GPS use is weak at best. At this point Apple will never have multi-tasking, their fricking phone would blow up or burn children.



    Edit. For the person that said buy an HTC becuase their Flash sucked so bad. Look at the Video again. It Multi-Tasked at every other function flawlessly. Apple can't.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post


    You better inform Wiki that a Moderator at an Apple Rumor site finds their definition outdated.



    Better Yet. send them a link to the currently working Android videos all over the web that are already doing what Apple is attempting to do.



    It's a wonder that they can't find the battery power for True Multi-Tasking, yet they can now do video and a copied job of Augmented Reality.



    Copy and Paste must take a hell of a lot of battery usage to make it work, no wonder why it took them 2 years.



    How about putting out an update before 3.1 that addresses the current bugs before introducing more.



    That would be the responsible thing to do.



    So, are you 12, brain damaged, or both?



    I ask because your every post is a near unbelievable hash of random observations, petty gripes, and apparently deeply held resentments. It's like what you'd get if you cut up a real Apple bashing post and put it back together blindfolded.



    I have no objection to good old fashioned trolling, but you have to try and make sense. You seem less like a "troll" and more like "insane."
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    So, are you 12, brain damaged, or both?



    I ask because your every post is a near unbelievable hash of random observations, petty gripes, and apparently deeply held resentments. It's like what you'd get if you cut up a real Apple bashing post and put it back together blindfolded.



    I have no objection to good old fashioned trolling, but you have to try and make sense. You seem less like a "troll" and more like "insane."



    Your analogy of me puts me so at peace with myself. This is the forum that calls the iPhone the Jesus Phone.



    I'd say you seem less like an Apple FanBoy and more like a White supremist.



    You are a minority in your beliefs. You worship a man that is not God an Hate everything that is NON APPLE.



    The only saving grace (currently) is you're not stringing up Microsoft users. You're using KKK tactics and cowardly forums to show your hate.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    whar's dem nekkid biatches? augmented, that is.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post




    DEAD BATTERY for 4.5 hours GPS use is weak at best. At this point Apple will never have multi-tasking, their fricking phone would blow up or burn children.





    hmm, tom tom lists their battery life for dedicated GPS at "up to 5 hours"....

    garmin will give you up to 7 hours. Make a phone call with that bad boy and get some push notifications and check your email while you're at it...



    good luck with that.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post


    Your analogy of me puts me so at peace with myself. This is the forum that calls the iPhone the Jesus Phone.



    I'd say you seem less like an Apple FanBoy and more like a White supremist.



    You are a minority in your beliefs. You worship a man that is not God an Hate everything that is NON APPLE.



    The only saving grace (currently) is you're not stringing up Microsoft users. You're using KKK tactics and cowardly forums to show your hate.



    Christ, you're actually straight up nuts. Interesting. We don't get many of those.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post


    You better inform Wiki that a Moderator at an Apple Rumor site finds their definition outdated.



    Better Yet. send them a link to the currently working Android videos all over the web that are already doing what Apple is attempting to do.



    It's a wonder that they can't find the battery power for True Multi-Tasking, yet they can now do video and a copied job of Augmented Reality.



    Copy and Paste must take a hell of a lot of battery usage to make it work, no wonder why it took them 2 years.



    How about putting out an update before 3.1 that addresses the current bugs before introducing more.



    That would be the responsible thing to do.



    And you think that the Wiki's definitions are all so wonderful, or correct? Do you even know who wrote that? No, you don't.



    And now you're making up more junk. You don't know how the phone works, and despite you're insisting that you have one, I don't believe it.
Sign In or Register to comment.