Apple seeds iPhone 3.1 Beta 3 to developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

I looked up NuevaSync and it requires Google Calendars, Google Contacts and Google Mail. Call me paranoid and laugh at me, but I don't want google to know all my contacts and all my dates. Is this a strange attitude nowadays? I don't want any private company (nor the state) to know this information.

+10 !

Thank you. Why most people don't seem to care about this is beyond me. Sure, many think it's just innocuous information, but when it's all aggregated and disaggregated, that's more information than any one company should have.

Hopefully at some point there will be simple, secure software that we all run on our home networks that provide this kind of convenience-enabling functionality without selling (freely giving!) our souls to the Googles, Yahoos and Microsofts of the world.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Hopefully they will fix some of the stability issues fixed in 2.1 and reintroduced in 3.0. Safari never crashed for me with 2.1, but, it crashes every other day in 3.0. Mail has also frozen my iPhone completely or caused it to re-boot on its own. Not as bad as 2.0, but, not as good as 2.1.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

Is it a stupid question to ask when we will see wireless syncing?

And please don't even try to tell me that I have to get MobileMe. I WON'T pay for this basic function!

Unfortunately, MobileMe is the only way to synch wirelessly right now. I have it and it works pretty well. The nice thing about MM is that you can sync without having to be near your computer.

But, if I wasn't already a subscriber to MM, the "Find my iPhone" feature alone would have convinced me to order. $99 a year is worth peace of mind, knowing I can possibly find or wipe the data clean should my iPhone go missing. I know MM got a bad rap during the buggy changeover from .Mac, but, it's actually a very nice service with some cool features for Mac/iPhone owners.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    dizzy13dizzy13 Posts: 67member
    You Can Copy/Paste Videos to email now. Check out this YouTube video I created for my blog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArqU37cNzQQ

One thing to keep in mind, you can only send a max size of 15MB. This is just a restriction of the mail app as it also applies to copy pasting images.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Is it a stupid question to ask when we will see wireless syncing?

I used to sync my good old nokia via bluetooth. why isn't that supported by the iphone? I hate getting this damn cable out of my bag just to update one calendar event...

And please don't even try to tell me that I have to get MobileMe. I WON'T pay for this basic function!

available today if you have MS Exchange. i updated a few contacts in MS Outlook today and the changes appeared on my iphone in a few minutes without syncing through the USB
  • Reply 26 of 29
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

+10 !

Thank you. Why most people don't seem to care about this is beyond me. Sure, many think it's just innocuous information, but when it's all aggregated and disaggregated, that's more information than any one company should have.

Hopefully at some point there will be simple, secure software that we all run on our home networks that provide this kind of convenience-enabling functionality without selling (freely giving!) our souls to the Googles, Yahoos and Microsofts of the world.

That is exactly what you are giving Apple with a MobileMe account. I trust Google a hell of a lot more than Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

I looked up NuevaSync and it requires Google Calendars, Google Contacts and Google Mail. Call me paranoid and laugh at me, but I don't want google to know all my contacts and all my dates. Is this a strange attitude nowadays? I don't want any private company (nor the state) to know this information.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

That is exactly what you are giving Apple with a MobileMe account. I trust Google a hell of a lot more than Apple.

Why? Seriously.

I'm not saying Apple is or isn't more trustworthy, but why trust either one of them more than the other?

One thing to consider: depending on your search engine of choice, IM of choice (if you partake), webmail of choice (if you partake), web document creation/storage provider (if you partake), etc., Google likely has far more personal information about you than Apple. And they gain more each and every day.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    I'm downloading it now.. loving it!
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Woohoo, we are getting closer to 3.1 being released to the public. I suspect we are two betas away from release.

No. I guess 1 more beta to go and that it will be released by September to public.