Apple introduces 2TB Time Capsule backup appliance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cashaww View Post

I use Drobo, and think this is a better long term investment. Has anyone attempted to use Drobo with Airport Extreme? Asking because I plan to play around with this very set up.

I would think it would work as well as connecting any other external drive to an Extreme, assuming your Drobo's file system can suppose Apple's sparse disk image format. But in case you weren't aware, using a drive connected to an Extreme as a Time Machine backup disk is still officially an "unsupported" function as far as Apple is concerned. Many people do it, but I still occassionally read about people having problems. Although, usually it's impossible to tell from their posts if the problem was related to using the Extreme.

Personally, I use an old Mac mini to host my TM backup disks. You can daisy chain as many FW drives as you need for however many computers you are backing up over the network. If you already have a router, you can get a low-end (or used) mini plus a big external drive for not much more than the high-end Time Capsule and not have to worry about the TC's internal drive failing, slow speeds, limited capacity, etc. You can administer the mini via screen sharing and even have it accessible via MobileMe's Back to My Mac if you need to access your data while away (although you can't run a TM backup over Back to My Mac).
  • Reply 22 of 64
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Time Capsule = Sloooooooooooooooow

but you have the apple logo on it.

seriously, for less than $450, you can get 2x 2Tb external WDs at amazon, and it's not even a good price. or get a fast D-Link NSE and put in any drive. $500+tax is a joke.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What AppleTv needs is a way to store my files (especially movies) on it and it alone. My computer's hard drive is overloaded with entertainment for the AppleTV and shouldn't need to be.

And FrontRow's capability to play any video file, including video_ts, in my Movies folder regardless of the format. There is no reason for it not to be able to play anything QuickTime can play, and having to convert everything to a different format is time consuming and lowers the quality.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    What if I want a Time Capsule only for its wireless capabilities? I don't want to back up. I want to store.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goodcow View Post

Apple TV doesn't really need a big HD, I have the 40GB model, my iTunes library is nearing a gig and I just stream everything. Why would anyone buy the 160GB model?

Music, photos, and standard definition video stream fine. Most of the time I have little issue streaming HD video as well, although what little issue I do have with stuttering would likely be solved by upgrading my airport extreme with a dual channel version. However, I'd still like more than 160GB for two reasons:
    • Seeking within HD video really doesn't work. I've found that my AppleTV stops seeking as soon as I've reached the end of its buffer (about 30-60 seconds worth of video). I can seek back and forth just fine with synced content.

• Storing non-iTunes formatted content locally. I use Boxee's interface for playing DivX content. I have to be very careful how much content I allow iTunes to sync over to ensure I have room to copy other media files over (I generally find that I have at most 2GB available for raw data transfers). I realise not many people do this, but having hacked my AppleTV to allow third-party tools has made an already incredible device that much better.

Besides, as cheap as 2.5" drives have become, there's absolutely no reason for Apple not to include a 320GB drive for the cost of the 160GB version (I'd be leery of the 500GB drives though - my AppleTV already runs hot enough).
  • Reply 26 of 64
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Apple TV doesn't really need a big HD, I have the 40GB model, my iTunes library is nearing a gig and I just stream everything. Why would anyone buy the 160GB model?

I don't know. I'm the kind of guy who always goes for the top model on anything he buys but even I couldn't justify buying the 160GB Apple TV over the 40GB version. Neither are big enough for my entire collection so there was no point to go for the basic model.

I agree that the Apple TV needs an update though - either a price cut or a bump in HDD size. It's ridiculously expensive for what you get in the UK (the basic 40GB version costs over $320).
  • Reply 27 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And FrontRow's capability to play any video file, including video_ts, in my Movies folder regardless of the format. There is no reason for it not to be able to play anything QuickTime can play, and having to convert everything to a different format is time consuming and lowers the quality.

Oh god is that's always ben major can of worms I'm hoping Snow Leopard will fix. That alone took most of the joy out of the APPle Tv - converting all those formats from DVD, Quicktime, iMovie, etc- constantly degrading the quality with each step. Then what plays on ATV, won't play on iPod, etc. What a friggin nightmare.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

From your Mac or PC running iTunes. My iTunes files are well over 80GB, but I have no trouble using my 40GB Apple TV to access any files from my Mac.

But doesn't that defeat it's purpose? Why should you have to run 2 machines to watch something that 1 machine should handle by itself?
  • Reply 29 of 64
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,499member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

but you have the apple logo on it.

seriously, for less than $450, you can get 2x 2Tb external WDs at amazon, and it's not even a good price. or get a fast D-Link NSE and put in any drive. $500+tax is a joke.

Did you even read the feature list?! Apart from the ones AI listed, Time Capsule serves as a Print-Server too which doesn't require each computer to capture the printer before printing to it (almost all other router that support printers do this). It's the best long-term investment you can make, especially if you subscribe to MobileMe and have nerd friends who visit.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

What if I want a Time Capsule only for its wireless capabilities? I don't want to back up. I want to store.

Then you need Airport Extreme Base Station. Time Capsule is Airport Extreme Base Station with built in HDD.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    With the failure rates on 2TB drives, not sure this is such a good move. I think Apple would have been better off incorporating a drobo style RAID array, even if it is 2.5" drives. (Heck, with the drop in demand for 1.8" drives, maybe you could get a good deal and have a 6-pack!)

Does anybody know how this type of block-level rsync works if you have an error in the original block the data is stored in? I can't think of a mechanism that rsync would know that the data is bad.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

Why not?! AppleTV needs a bigger HDD since the standard definition 1.5 hours movie is 1.3GB. You might not have more than 1GB in your iTunes library but most who have movies do. My iTunes library is more than 50GB and I have extra 40GB of movies stored in my Time Capsule because my MBP HDD is almost full. The only thing keeping me from getting AppleTV now is capacity. I need to be able to place all my movies in AppleTV HDD and not have to worry about keeping my MBP running. As far as I know, AppleTV only sync with one iTunes library and my wife has her different set of movies that will probably be another 40GB. It is more efficient to place all of those in centralized location such as AppleTV.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cashaww View Post

I use Drobo, and think this is a better long term investment. Has anyone attempted to use Drobo with Airport Extreme? Asking because I plan to play around with this very set up.

I currently do that and it works okay. Time Machine backups are slow, but I don't know if it is any slower than using a TimeCapsule. I recently started running out of hard drive space on my laptop and started using the Drobo more as a storage for larger files and libraries. I pulled the Drobo from the AE and use it through the firewire connection and backups are blazingly fast. I use Backblaze for redundant offsite storage and by connecting the Drobo via firewire the data on it is also backed up. My only wish is that I have the newer dual band AE.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnexpectedBill View Post

After a little over a year's worth of Time Capsule use, I'm not sure you really do want to buy one.

I put two units into service, each of them backing up about six or seven computers apiece. I "staggered" the initial backups so that the units would not be overloaded. Even with just one computer backing up at a time, the backup was unbelievably slow, and that was over a gigabit LAN. Other systems with locally attached disks were faster. The only bottleneck I can see would be the processor used in the Time Capsule.

Some computers never worked properly with Time Capsule. The issues I saw most were backups that stalled for no reason, sudden prompts for the Time Capsule password, and sparse disk images that became corrupted. It didn't matter if the computer was an older PPC model or a new Intel system.

A year and two months out of warranty, one of the Time Capsule units died with a flashing yellow light. Opening it up revealed some kind of a reaction that had taken place in the thermal transfer pads--a kind of oil had leaked out of them and covered the circuit board. Apple has been unwilling to even offer a pro-rated price on a new one.

Even when they work, these things run frightfully hot. \

One unit still survives and works about as well as it ever did. Which is really too bad, as this could have been such a cool idea...

I have 1 MBP and 1 MB both each with 250GB HDD and I have one 500GB TC. I just checked and I have less than 10GB of space left in the TC HDD. How did you manage to back up 6 macs on a single TC?! If you have desktop Macs then you should have used external HDDs for each Mac because I don't think TC was designed to handle that much load simultaneously and over long period of time. TC is mainly beneficial to those who use portable Macs since they need to backup on the fly without worrying about cables.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why not?! AppleTV needs a bigger HDD since the standard definition 1.5 hours movie is 1.3GB. You might not have more than 1GB in your iTunes library but most who have movies do.

Actually I meant to type nearing a terabyte.

I have HD seasons of shows I bought off iTMS ad I just let everything stream off the DroboPro connected to my MacBook Pro. It never stutters. So to me, a drive-less Apple TV would be sufficient.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why not?! AppleTV needs a bigger HDD since the standard definition 1.5 hours movie is 1.3GB. You might not have more than 1GB in your iTunes library but most who have movies do. My iTunes library is more than 50GB and I have extra 40GB of movies stored in my Time Capsule because my MBP HDD is almost full. The only thing keeping me from getting AppleTV now is capacity. I need to be able to place all my movies in AppleTV HDD and not have to worry about keeping my MBP running. As far as I know, AppleTV only sync with one iTunes library and my wife has her different set of movies that will probably be another 40GB. It is more efficient to place all of those in centralized location such as AppleTV.

But that's the problem- the centralized location is not the AppleTv but the HDD (usually the computer's) that has the original iTunes files on it. I for one wish I could put them (esp movies) onto the AppleTv and then delete them off my HD- they take up too much space.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Actually I meant to type nearing a terabyte.

I have HD seasons of shows I bought off iTMS ad I just let everything stream off the DroboPro connected to my MacBook Pro. It never stutters. So to me, a drive-less Apple TV would be sufficient.

But is it Green -to have 2 machines (3 including the TV itself) running to watch but one file?
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Is it possible to get an AppleTV and just put in your own 320 or 500 gig hard drive?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Is it possible to get an AppleTV and just put in your own 320 or 500 gig hard drive?

Sure, but you'll void the warranty.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/23/h...your-apple-tv/
  • Reply 40 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

There is...but you will have to copy the AppleTV OS to the new drive. Which can be tricky if you're not used to do those kinds of things. Google will give you some resources on doing this.