Mystery device reference discovered again in iPhone OS 3.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    the keynote of WWDC 2010.

- Good morning. <displays sales figures for the last 6 months>

We at Apple have always loved cows. But we thought that current cow-prodding technology didn't give a satisfactory experience. Usually cow prods are expensive, not very easy to use, and they don't have any features for sharing your experiences that you get with for instance the iPod or the iPhone.

So what we did is that we took what's good about the original cow prod, like getting to see cows run away in fear, and we added some of the features from our other great products such as the iPhone and the iPod. So basically what we did was that we reinvented the cattle prod and it's a great product and we're going to show it to you <dramatic pause> right now. Isn't that great!? <pause for applause>

Now <dramatic pause> Introducing <pause> the new iProd! <pause for applause> with 10000 Volts, 3.2 Mpixel camera, GPS, WiFi and 3G connectivity which lets you share all your cow shocking experiences instantly with all your friends online. It lets you take a picture while you're shocking a cow and stick it as a pin on a map showing where the prodding was done. OR <pause> why not use the auto-find function at a wifi-hotspot to see who's up for a little electric cow-tipping. <disclaimer text: Apple takes no responsibility for injuries and does not endorse cruelty to animals>

Isn't that great!? It's a new great product and what does it cost?

The new iProd <short recap> starts at just $599 and we're shipping it starting <pause> today. Isn't that great!?
  • Reply 42 of 62
    The iProd will be used to keep Microsoft Store customers from overcrowding Apple Stores.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

well it would be directly derived from iPhone OS. Much of the API would be exactly the same.

Hell everybody wants Apple to be successful in there own way. The problem is every body has their own idea of what that device will look like, how it will perform and so forth. Because Apple can't possibly make everybody happy with a one size device, so I expect multiple devices.

Dave

I'm just waiting for Zunex to tell us the specs he wants again and then drop that "his university will order thousands."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

the keynote of WWDC 2010.

- Good morning. <displays sales figures for the last 6 months>

We at Apple have always loved cows. But we thought that current cow-prodding technology didn't give a satisfactory experience. Usually cow prods are expensive, not very easy to use, and they don't have any features for sharing your experiences that you get with for instance the iPod or the iPhone....

• Reply 44 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

The iProd will be used to keep Microsoft Store customers from overcrowding Apple Stores.

+1. To shock Steve Ballmer and gang.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    The big problem is developers developers developers.

Devs were willing to jump on the iPhone because that is a growth market. Also, there is lock in to the iTunes store.

Can an AppStore-enabled Tablet (requiring new development due to the screen size) guarantee developers a platform of 10 million new users next year?

--------

The Air is getting cheaper, just like its white cousin. A year ago, I would have said they could introduce a 10" Air for $1199. However, today's market would not support such a product. They would need a magic price of $999 to move that product.

--------

In conclusion, I am not impressed by the market Apple can sell in to today.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    I think that one of the biggest hurdles that the iPhone OS has to overcome is its inability to multi-task.

If this reference was indeed to the "tablet" product I would be quite disappointed as I would expect to use the tablet as a "net-book" type of computer;

Fully functional Mac OS with handwriting and speech recognition so I could jot down notes with a "digital pen" or voice note in to one of my main applications. I could snap in a keyboard or perhaps drop the tablet in to a docking station for use as a "regular low-powered, laptop".

I would expect that I could have the full browsing features of my Mac (WIFI or GSM) - just not with a huge processor or tons of memory - the tablet would be the perfect "gap" product for those that want more than an iPOD and less than a traditional laptop.

In sum - IF this reference is to the tablet then I think Apple has missed the mark for a tablet.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by possmann View Post

I think that one of the biggest hurdles that the iPhone OS has to overcome is its inability to multi-task.

If this reference was indeed to the "tablet" product I would be quite disappointed as I would expect to use the tablet as a "net-book" type of computer;

Fully functional Mac OS with handwriting and speech recognition so I could jot down notes with a "digital pen" or voice note in to one of my main applications. I could snap in a keyboard or perhaps drop the tablet in to a docking station for use as a "regular low-powered, laptop".

I would expect that I could have the full browsing features of my Mac (WIFI or GSM) - just not with a huge processor or tons of memory - the tablet would be the perfect "gap" product for those that want more than an iPOD and less than a traditional laptop.

In sum - IF this reference is to the tablet then I think Apple has missed the mark for a tablet.

I don't think you've thought this out at all.

First, iPhone OS *does* multitask.

Secondly, your ideas of what's "fully functional" and why it's needed are pretty much a description of the current iPhone tech as well. Things like voice recognition, bluetooth syncing with keyboards, full-browsing etc. are already available on the iPhone even if some (keyboards), have just not been implemented by any vendors yet. The only thing missing from your list on the current iPhone is pen input, which presumably is one of the most likely things to include in a "tablet" computer.

What your really saying here is that you "hope the new tablet allows the use of pen input." It's a fairly safe bet that if it exists at all it will.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    xykoxyko Posts: 5member
    Has anyone considered that this iProd placeholder may be in reference to another type of iPhone (i.e. iPhone Nano or iPhone Pro).

The other consideration is that Apple is just screwing with everyone. Apple is quite good at creating media hype and garnering attention from the general public. However unlikely this scenario is, I still think it would be funny as hell, and its not like it would be the first time an Apple product that was "ready for launch" wasn't released.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

With all the arguments over what a possible tablet device might be called lately, perhaps this reflects a similarly heated debate inside Apple.

iBook? iPad? iTablet? MacBook? Newton?

Resurrecting the Newton would require i of Newt!

Some other ideas I don't think people have mentioned:

iWeb or iNet (the internet in your hands)

iSurf

iCarly

iRock

Well, now I'm just getting sillier. Sorry.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I'm not sure why everybody thinks this but the iPhone does multitasking. The feature isn't exposed to developers or users right now but none the less it multitasks.

Exposing the ability to the user ought to be easy for Apple. One way I envision this happening is that Apple implements a dock like feature. If you think about Snow Leopard and what the have going on with the dock there you will realize it is an almost ideal way to work with multiple apps on a small screen.

So really this is an issue that Apple could deal with quickly.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you would be disappointed with. I pretty much use my iPhone right now as a netbook type computer. Especially considering what the average person uses a netbook for. Since I'm expecting a vastly improved feature set, such a tablet will be even better.

Quote:

not to be unkind but iPhone OS already does much of this on the new hardware, you don't need Mac OS at all to do any of the items hit upon above. In many cases Mac OS would actually be a big negative as it is to demanding resource wise.

Quote:

Exactly but I don't want that gap filler running Mac OS. It is all about resources and performance and having all the garbage that comes with Mac OS running on a handheld battery powered unit just doesn't make sense.

It makes much more sense to grow a limited feature set os (iPhone OS) than it does to try to prune years of old APIs and other features. Especially when some of those features have no reason for being on a device of this nature.

Quote:

I'm not sure if this is a tablet device that everybody wants or just a larger Touch type device. The reference in current build iPhone OS seems to imply a simpler device that does not have an extremely enlarged feature set. In other words iProd might not be the rumored tablet at all, but rather something in the Touch mold. It could even be a smaller device as Apple has patents that indicate that a Nano like device could be running Touch with a hybrid interface.

Some may go into shock thinking about Touch, which is derived from UNIX, running on such a small device but there is an arguement for it. Mainly it allows Apple to leverage software development so that new features can be implemented on Nano at low cost. One feature being a camera. But things like VoIP could make sense if WiFi is implemented. Now many will say you can't stuff all those features into Nano to which I say BS, with PA Semi Apple could put it all on one chip for the most part and with 32 nm tech could do do while sipping milli watts.

In any event got side tracked a bit there. The point is this might not be "the tablet" at all but a simpler member of the iPod family. Or it could be a DSLR with a Nikon mount(we can all dream can't we). Frankly something called iProd could be just about anything from a gaming machine to a piece of lab equipement (iDVM). We just can't get upset so early in the game.

Dave
  • Reply 51 of 62
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

A tablet running full OSX is not the gap product Apple would want imo. Apple would want a tablet to supplement a Mac, not replace it.

Multitasking is actually a reason to use iPhone OS over full OSX. As another person mentioned, iPhone OS does allow for multitasking for select Apple apps. This could definitely be extended to other applications as well. Netbooks actually don't multitask well because they are running operating systems and applications designed for more capable hardware. Using iPhone OS would prevent this problem completely as both the OS and the applications would be designed for the low power hardware. So all Apple would really need to do is extend multitasking capabilities on the tablet and maybe add an expose like app that could be accessed through a 4 finger swipe or hardware button and you would have a very seamless multitasking experience.

iPhone OS (or an upgraded version) would also be a lot more usable on a tablet than OSX. Apple can make Snow Leopard as touch friendly as they want, but third party applications still wouldn't be, nor would the UI be unified and the user experience would suffer.

Running full OSX on the tablet would lead to two possible outcomes. The tablet would fail for the same reasons previous tablets have (they were not purpose made for touch) or it would be successful and cannibalize macbook and macbook pro sales. Both are not attractive options to Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyko View Post

Has anyone considered that this iProd placeholder may be in reference to another type of iPhone (i.e. iPhone Nano or iPhone Pro)

The iPhone Nano rumor resurfaced again recently, so, it could very well be that. I just hope they don't actually call it an iProd.

Someone earlier mentioned the name could be short for iProduct, which could also be some sort of iPhone add-on that Apple is producing.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

well it would be directly derived from iPhone OS. Much of the API would be exactly the same.

In any event I don't see any difference between Apple adding new APIs to support hardware in an iPhone and adding APIs to support this new device. It is still Touch OS evolving.

I agree. If this thing ever comes, it'll most probably have very similar APIs while still referencing the Foundation Framework. Just as the UIKit was added for the iPhone in place of the AppKit for the computer, this'll probably have its own UIxxxx framework with many essentials ported to the difference in hardware. I do wonder if it's going to be a totally open dev environment, like Cocoa, or locked down, like the iPhone/iPod Touch.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A file in the latest iPhone OS 3.1 beta refers once again to an unknown product with a new model number, fueling speculation that Apple has a new touchscreen device based on its mobile operating system coming soon.

At some point, the secretive Apple might start placing false crumbs in their OS to prevent this guessing game from being reliable. :-)
  • Reply 55 of 62
    I kinda like the name MacPad. It says it all.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I agree. If this thing ever comes, it'll most probably have very similar APIs while still referencing the Foundation Framework. Just as the UIKit was added for the iPhone in place of the AppKit for the computer, this'll probably have its own UIxxxx framework with many essentials ported to the difference in hardware. I do wonder if it's going to be a totally open dev environment, like Cocoa, or locked down, like the iPhone/iPod Touch.

In a nut shell that is it. For example if they are after the gaming and otherwise younger generation it will be a somewhat locked down Touch experience. If the business world is the target I'd suspect a looser approach. Either way I expect App store will play a roll in getting stuff onto the device.

As for the others on the forums I still can't see why they mis what iPhone OS really is. Or for that matter how easy it would be to turn it into a more capable platform. Exposing multitasking to the user for example ought to be a snap, especially if recent developments in SL are leveraged. People need to imagine how nicely the new Dock/Expose´ duality would work in a Touch environment for example. Carefully combined with the current iPhone OS one could have transparent access to multitasking. I just see huge potential for merging lots of DNA to come up with something really impressive.

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I kinda like the name MacPad. It says it all.

As others have said...

* we don't want all the overhead of the MacOS on a tablet (or, in my words, I'd rather the tablet was a little thinner and lighter than would be required to run the full OS)

* Apple would rather supplement the Mac than replace it

... and a 3rd reason

* if the *Pad runs Mac applications, developers will take the easy way out. Apps, even if 'ported', will look like they were made for mice & keyboards. If they offered Mac functionality (as many are screaming for) then, counter-intuitively, the device would be of less appeal to the masses.

I do think Apple could release an "iPad" which doesn't run MacOS apps - and in 1 or 2 years time, once a great number of iApps exist for the iPad, they could release a "MacPad" that runs all the iApps AND opens the door to MacOS applications.

BTW: For this same reason, Apple won't release a Bluetooth keyboard for a while. They want to force developers to think differently and design for a tablet WITHOUT a real keyboard.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    marc gmarc g Posts: 65member
    I just hope that whatever it is that they release, there is some way for me to use it as I would a netbook type device. I need something small and light that won't add much weight to my already too heavy 10-12LB school bag.

Now I carry or should I say lug around my 4.8LB Powerbook G4. I realize that it seems the 13 inch Macbook Pro would be a good replacement in terms of power, battery, etc. The problem is that it has a larger footprint and only weighs 3/10 of a LB less than my powerbook, not enough to justify it as a replacement when I need to lighten my average load.

Then we have Macbook Air: At almost 2LBs less, it's tempting and it does have enough power to handle just about anything I would do at school. The only problems are larger footprint (which I would forgive), and the relative high cost. If my iPhone were just a little bigger and I could use it with a blu-tooth keyboard (such as the one I am typing this note on), to take notes and such, I might be happy with it.

The only wrench in those works, is that I need to be able to run some very specific Biblical Research software called Accordance on it, along with some easy way of doing quick and dirty music notation.

So now that I have blathered on a bit, I guess my point is that if there isn't something that fits this bill soon, I'll be getting my hands on a dell mini10V or something along those lines. That is not a threat or anything like that. I would prefer to get something from Apple but the Air is just a bit too far out of my price range.

-MG
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marc G View Post

That is not a threat or anything like that. I would prefer to get something from Apple but the Air is just a bit too far out of my price range.

Understandable - you need to find something to suit your needs.

I find the MBA interesting, in that they've made it smaller and lighter but kept the best speeds/power they can, and that has made it more expensive. I would like to see the MBP-13" without a DVD drive but otherwise the same internal chips/battery etc.... though that's unlikely to change the weight significantly (how much does a slot-load DVD drive weigh?).

For your CHEAP and LIGHT needs, I always come back to the old "eMate" idea. A Newton with a keyboard - or in modern terms, a 9" clamshell iPhone with a keyboard. Great for word processing, the web, and all the mini apps - but nothing.

Speaking of your extra needs - your iPhone can remotely run apps from a windows or Mac machine, that might get around some of the power limitations (and apps that only exist on full machines).
  • Reply 60 of 62
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marc G View Post

I just hope that whatever it is that they release, there is some way for me to use it as I would a netbook type device. I need something small and light that won't add much weight to my already too heavy 10-12LB school bag.

Now I carry or should I say lug around my 4.8LB Powerbook G4. I realize that it seems the 13 inch Macbook Pro would be a good replacement in terms of power, battery, etc. The problem is that it has a larger footprint and only weighs 3/10 of a LB less than my powerbook, not enough to justify it as a replacement when I need to lighten my average load.

Then we have Macbook Air: At almost 2LBs less, it's tempting and it does have enough power to handle just about anything I would do at school. The only problems are larger footprint (which I would forgive), and the relative high cost. If my iPhone were just a little bigger and I could use it with a blu-tooth keyboard (such as the one I am typing this note on), to take notes and such, I might be happy with it.

The only wrench in those works, is that I need to be able to run some very specific Biblical Research software called Accordance on it, along with some easy way of doing quick and dirty music notation.

So now that I have blathered on a bit, I guess my point is that if there isn't something that fits this bill soon, I'll be getting my hands on a dell mini10V or something along those lines. That is not a threat or anything like that. I would prefer to get something from Apple but the Air is just a bit too far out of my price range.

-MG

What if that tablet took away the need for you to lug around textbooks? That would make your bag lighter right?