Migration Utility - just for iTunes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a question about the Migration assistant.

Our family has had an iMac for about 2 years. The machine has 3 user accounts, my son, my wife, and myself (Admin). I just got my wife a new MacBookPro to use as her primary computer. When I started up the MacBookPro, I was prompted to use the migration utility, but I didn't have the required firewire cable and frankly I just didn't feel like messing with it. Long story short, I used a couple of CDrs to get my wife's emails, address book, calendar, bookmarks, files, etc from the iMac to the MacBookPro. No problems, all went well.

All that remains is to get her iTunes to her new MacBookPro. I also have the required firewire cable. So the question is, having never used the migration utility, can I selectively decide (as well as by user account) what to and not to migrate from one computer to another.

All I need to migrate is her iTunes, and I can't seem to find an export feature in iTunes. If any has a better method, I am listening.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Just move over her iTunes folder. Its located in her Home, Music folder.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Here's what I'd do/did:

Create a user with the same username on the MBP for her, log in, then log out.

Ensure that the MBP is powered on and copy her entire home directory from the iMac to to the MBP replacing every file.

Thats it. She should have everything she needs and her MBP will have no idea that she's plugging her iPhone/iPod into a different computer. Her MBP will appear to her as if she was logging into the iMac
  • Reply 3 of 4
    js29js29 Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Just move over her iTunes folder. Its located in her Home, Music folder.

Thanks. This is what I did, and all went well.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    It's easy enough to migrate individual users too. You can run migration assistant from the computer itself. If you don't have FW cable you can use an ethernet too.