New Apple tablet speculation: two models, OLED screen

Comments

• Reply 81 of 187
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

These were all sucessful, and all turned a profit.

- The Cube was really popular, but had a lot of engineering problems. Apple discontinued it for that reason despite it's popularity. People were generally pissed off that it was cancelled at the time.

- AppleTV, despite all the techies saying (over and over and over again), that they can "do the same thing with a mini" is also a very popular device that continues to sell very well.

- MacBook Air, despite the fact that some techies don't like it, is actually *wildly* successful and hugely popular.

There's a big difference between how a product is received on the tech blogs and the real world reception it gets. When the Air debuted it was roundly criticised, but it was so popular Apple literally couldn't make them fast enough. It's still popular today although if you ask the local tech dude he'll say it's a "girls computer" or "underpowered" or some such (ironically, even as he types on his Dell mini 9.) This is more to do with the techie version of machismo than any reall assessment of product success or design.

The most important thing anyway, (and in fact the point I was making), is that Apple doesn't just release crap without thinking about sales and everything they release is released because they think it will sell at the price that they want to sell it at. They have something between a 95% and 100% sucess rate at this sort of thing and that's why I was saying all the comments about "it won't sell at that price" are dumb.

The Cube was introduced at $1799, but Apple was forced to reduce the price less than 9 months later to $1299 because it just wasn't selling. Even more rare than Apple releasing a dude is Apple making substantial price cuts after a product has been introduced (the 1st gen iPhone being one of the few exceptions). The Cube was popular amongst the Apple fanatics, but that was about it. Production was ended less than a year after it was introduced. That's success???

Even Steve Jobs still calls the AppleTV a hobby. Again, not exactly how I'd define success. Apple doesn't report AppleTV sales separately, so I'm not sure how you are defining "continues to sell very well." Based on the anecdotal reports we see online, AppleTV sales are pretty lukewarm.

Of the three, the MBA is probably the most "successful", but it's still pretty much a niche product that does not have broad market appeal. Although the big price cuts earlier this year have helped.
  • Reply 82 of 187
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    @ Dr. Millmoss and Addabox

Yeah a version of keynote could be killer on a device like this. Hadn't thought of it that way, but the way you present it does sound pretty nice.

I'm still a bit skeptical that the the tablet device, as described in the rumors on the interwebs, would be appealing at the price its rumored to sell at. But if Apple really have been working on it for 6 years they almost certainly have thought of the limitations we've brought up and have attractive solutions for them.
  • Reply 83 of 187
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

@ Dr. Millmoss and Addabox

Yeah a version of keynote could be killer on a device like this. Hadn't thought of it that way, but the way you present it does sound pretty nice.

I'm still a bit skeptical that the the tablet device, as described in the rumors on the interwebs, would be appealing at the price its rumored to sell at. But if Apple really have been working on it for 6 years they almost certainly have thought of the limitations we've brought up and have attractive solutions for them.

Yeah. I don't think it makes sense to imagine that Apple would release "their version of a netbook" or "their version of existing PC tablets" or even "a big iPhone/Touch." I think it would be more like them to decide that there is an entire category of device that doesn't really exist, so they'll make it.

The mistake is to assume that, having made an educated guess about the form factor, you have a handle on what such a device would be (their version of a netbook, etc.). As is always the case with Apple, it's going to be the software that makes this device "different", in that "why didn't anybody think to do this before?" sort of way.

Since I'm making wild guesses, I'll go with this: Apple's multi-touch tablet will run a variant of OS X that will run iPhone apps out of the box, but that will require some dev tweaking or a recompile to run OS X apps. Apple will provide a full suite of their own apps, carefully adjusted to take full advantage of touch interface. It will be freakishly thin and light, to the point that heat dissipation will be in issue in early shipping units. It will cost more than internet pundits think it should. It will have fewer ports than internet pundits think it should. It will not have an optical drive, and that will make some people crazy.

It will be marketed as an entirely new kind of device, a "fun" digital lifestyle accessory that you toss in your purse or shoulder bag, or curl up with with coffee to read the morning blogs or double check recipes in the kitchen.

The big unknown, in my book, is if Apple will partner with a wireless carrier for that always desirable ubiquitous internet access, and offer it at a subsidized price. I could see them offer both, alalike the iPhone and the Touch. As always, the problem with carrier subsidies is the hefty data rates, which for my money, anyway, would tend to take the fun right out.
  • Reply 84 of 187
    I doubt it's real, but it's the right direction that I'd expect (with more polish).

[QUOTE=Virgil-TB2;1464744]I believe the tablet is a real device, but almost nothing about this particular rumour rings true or even makes much sense.

- Why would there be a little typing keyboard on each floaty application?

->> Because if its based on iPhone OS, it could out of the box run iPhone aps (like notes) and this would give the device instant access to 10s of thousands of aps, duh?
  • Reply 85 of 187
    [QUOTE=sundoggy;1464930]I doubt it's real, but it's the right direction that I'd expect (with more polish).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I believe the tablet is a real device, but almost nothing about this particular rumour rings true or even makes much sense.

- Why would there be a little typing keyboard on each floaty application?

->> Because if its based on iPhone OS, it could out of the box run iPhone aps (like notes) and this would give the device instant access to 10s of thousands of aps, duh?

You know, I hadn't thought of that (I still think the video is fake, for various reasons already stated) but it would make sense to be able to run windowed iPhone apps, to save devs even the hassle of adjusting resolution. Of course, I imagine there will be a pretty painless path for making your iPhone apps run full screen, if so desired.
  • Reply 86 of 187
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

So you think it should be the same price as a 32gig iTouch huh ...

I really don't get all of the "i think it should be .. 12 dollars! heck apple can afford it and the price they want is too much for me to pay!!"

at that price you can get 2-3 netbooks that can run any application you want
  • Reply 87 of 187
    I really can't imagine what a device like the one described via the rumours can bring to the party that isn't already available for far less money or in a form that is better suited to more demanding work. On the other hand Apple's history would suggest that whatever product Apple brings to market will make sense over the long haul. Missteps in recent years have been few and there is zero pressure on Apple to do anything dramatic at this time. Come September if Apple merely releases new iPods plus, of course, Snow Leopard, there is no danger that the company will lose momentum. Snow Leopard is no small thing and I'm sure the upcoming Touch will be clever enough to sustain Apple through the coming buying season.

If there is a new product come September it will make sense, though perhaps its value will not be initially obvious. For that to be true, I just don't imagine Apple will simply bring out an oversized Touch. There has to be more.
  • Reply 88 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The Cube was introduced at $1799, but Apple was forced to reduce the price less than 9 months later to $1299 because it just wasn't selling. Even more rare than Apple releasing a dude is Apple making substantial price cuts after a product has been introduced (the 1st gen iPhone being one of the few exceptions). The Cube was popular amongst the Apple fanatics, but that was about it. Production was ended less than a year after it was introduced. That's success???

Even Steve Jobs still calls the AppleTV a hobby. Again, not exactly how I'd define success. Apple doesn't report AppleTV sales separately, so I'm not sure how you are defining "continues to sell very well." Based on the anecdotal reports we see online, AppleTV sales are pretty lukewarm.

Of the three, the MBA is probably the most "successful", but it's still pretty much a niche product that does not have broad market appeal. Although the big price cuts earlier this year have helped.

You might define a success only in terms compared to other Apple products, but the fact that these devices have been on the market for a while now, and are still selling means that they are likely not a failure. The MBA sparked the very fast development of several other 13? super-thin and light notebooks.

Then there is anecdotal evidence that the AppleTV is the most popular standalone media extender on the market. I?ve tried others and none have worked very well. The best I?ve seen in Popcorn Hour, but just like the AppleTV, it too has it?s shortcomings. The fact is, the entire media extender market is dull, but to say that because the market itself is lacking at this point that the AppleTV is a failure within that is market is disingenuous, and when you consider the likely numbers of AppleTV to other standalone media extender sales the comparative AppleTV numbers are much more in Apple?s favour than the number of Macs sold in comparison to all the other PCs sold but I?m guessing you don?t think Macs are a failure.

Apple calls it a ?hobby?, I believe that it is, but it?s not one that is going away. There are just too many variables at this point and the market is still too new in many ways to make it a breakaway product like the iPhone. Remember, Apple rarely gets into a market or market segment early on, they just dominate it once they get in. I think the need to get the studios on board and have a way to see media from your computer in your living room had to be done, even if it wasn?t the perfect timing for it. But, again, that doesn?t mean it?s not successful in its own right.

Finally, dropping of prices doesn?t mean that a device is a failure. People called the Mac Mini a failure, Apple Insider stated repeatedly that it was going to be canceled for it?s failure, and the fact that Apple didn?t update it or lower the price for so long did make that seem likely. Apple has reduced the price of the iPhone, iPods, and Macs yet I?m guessing you?d call them successful. They don?t break out the various iPod sales but you only call this proof of a failed product when talking about the AppleTV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

[?]

Since I'm making wild guesses, I'll go with this: Apple's multi-touch tablet will run a variant of OS X that will run iPhone apps out of the box, but that will require some dev tweaking or a recompile to run OS X apps. Apple will provide a full suite of their own apps, carefully adjusted to take full advantage of touch interface. It will be freakishly thin and light, to the point that heat dissipation will be in issue in early shipping units. It will cost more than internet pundits think it should. It will have fewer ports than internet pundits think it should. It will not have an optical drive, and that will make some people crazy.

[?]

Nicely put. You?ve captured exactly what we should expect from Apple and pundits alike.
  • Reply 89 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

at that price you can get 2-3 netbooks that can run any application you want

Sure, and for the cost of an iPhone plus data plan you could by 20 netbooks. But different form factors/software designs address different styles of computer use.

Just because people have been using "laptops" of a basic design that has remained largely unchanged for quite a few years doesn't mean that that is the terminus of computer design.
  • Reply 90 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

A $900 iPod touch better have some goodies in store that goes beyond just a bigger screen and faster CPU...

Even with 128GB storage that price seems steep.

OLED would be very nice, but I doubt Apple is ready for OLED. But perhaps...

Is it going to be even thinner than the iPod touch?

I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow can run both iPhone apps _and_ Mac OS apps by incorporating some Intel x86 core too. The latter would suck battery juice and be slow still, but users would have a choice to run a few Mac apps they must run.

Use Word if you have to, or use the iPod variant of Pages.

Use iPod Safari or Firefox with Flash if you really need the latter.

etc.

With that feature set $900 seems fair.

Here we go again....

People who make this stuff up think TOO MUCH inside the box by portraying a 10-tablet with a smartphone OS such as iPhone's.

Unless it has Snow Leopard w/ modified Cocoa Touch GUI, it'll be crap.
  • Reply 91 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sundoggy View Post

That is not the point. Running iPhone apps in a tablet is like buying a rig to toy with Paint

EDIT: I DO NOT mean that iPhone apps shouldn't be supported, but using iPhone OS on it just for that is crappy thinking.
  • Reply 92 of 187
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    May be Apple will do Magic again, but personally i dont see why anyone would be interested in an 10inch Tablet....

It doesn't fit my pocket, nor does it replace my Macbook Air.

It is positioned in the middle of no where??
  • Reply 93 of 187
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

More likely is that XCode will get an option to compile desktop applications for ARM, specifically the ARM A9 or derivative that is likely inside the PA Semi design. Sure, you'll have to wait for your favourite application to be compiled, but once it is, you'll be able to use it. Sucks if you want to use Word, but Pages and OpenOffice will be available fairly quickly.

However I'm waiting to see what the device is. That's a puzzle to me, because it could be anything. Indeed it could be a quite specific functionality that many people won't like given their hopes.

LLVM has ARM as one of it's target platforms.
  • Reply 94 of 187
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean View Post

Considering the biggest OLED screen you can currently buy is 11" and that is going for $1000's does anybody seriously believe that apple is going to release a 10" OLED product that is affordable in this climate?

It would be nice, but it's simply not going to happen. The ipod touch maybe as smaller screens OLEDS are already competitive.

So anything else he has said has lost all credibility for me

Volume purchases cut down the pricing by 1/3rd.
  • Reply 95 of 187
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

You might define a success only in terms compared to other Apple products, but the fact that these devices have been on the market for a while now, and are still selling means that they are likely not a failure. The MBA sparked the very fast development of several other 13? super-thin and light notebooks.

Then there is anecdotal evidence that the AppleTV is the most popular standalone media extender on the market. I?ve tried others and none have worked very well. The best I?ve seen in Popcorn Hour, but just like the AppleTV, it too has it?s shortcomings. The fact is, the entire media extender market is dull, but to say that because the market itself is lacking at this point that the AppleTV is a failure within that is market is disingenuous, and when you consider the likely numbers of AppleTV to other standalone media extender sales the comparative AppleTV numbers are much more in Apple?s favour than the number of Macs sold in comparison to all the other PCs sold but I?m guessing you don?t think Macs are a failure.

Apple calls it a ?hobby?, I believe that it is, but it?s not one that is going away. There are just too many variables at this point and the market is still too new in many ways to make it a breakaway product like the iPhone. Remember, Apple rarely gets into a market or market segment early on, they just dominate it once they get in. I think the need to get the studios on board and have a way to see media from your computer in your living room had to be done, even if it wasn?t the perfect timing for it. But, again, that doesn?t mean it?s not successful in its own right.

Finally, dropping of prices doesn?t mean that a device is a failure. People called the Mac Mini a failure, Apple Insider stated repeatedly that it was going to be canceled for it?s failure, and the fact that Apple didn?t update it or lower the price for so long did make that seem likely. Apple has reduced the price of the iPhone, iPods, and Macs yet I?m guessing you?d call them successful. They don?t break out the various iPod sales but you only call this proof of a failed product when talking about the AppleTV.

Fair enough. But please note that I never said any of those products were a failure (although I have seen reports claiming the Cube was, in fact, a financial failure). All I said is that these products were not very successful. I don't live in a black and white world, and there is a lot of room between success and failure. And being the best of a weak (I believe "dull" was your word) product category doesn't really mean success, either, does it?

As far as iPod price cuts, again, please note that I said "substantial" price cuts. Apple lowered iPod prices slowly over time. And nobody would ever argue that they lowered the price because of poor sales. They lowered the prices because their component costs were lower and the HIGH volume of sales allowed them to shrink margins. Contrast that with the price cuts of the Cube, and also probably the AppleTV, where the cuts were most likely due to lackluster sales.

These products may have made a profit. But Apple grossly overestimated what people were willing to pay for them. I'm sure the iTablet will have at least some success; but all my original post was saying is that, if the current rumors are true (include the prices), I believe Apple will have once again overestimated what people are willing to pay for their products.

And Apple has been showing cracks in the "can-do-no-wrong" armor of late. The fat nano was redesigned a year later, returning to the previous form factor. FW was removed from the 13" MacBook and added back less than a year later. Matte screens were eliminated from the 15" MBP and have now returned. They admitted that they missed the mark with the first version of Apple TV (and I personally still don't think they've hit the mark with v2). None of these things have meant those products were failures. Just that Apple doesn't always get things right the first time.
  • Reply 96 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah. I don't think it makes sense to imagine that Apple would release "their version of a netbook" or "their version of existing PC tablets" or even "a big iPhone/Touch." I think it would be more like them to decide that there is an entire category of device that doesn't really exist, so they'll make it.

Exactly. Whatever they do, it won't be a "me too" product. It amazes me how many people still think that Apple should emulate an existing product, but just make it a little nicer. As if that's what they do.
  • Reply 97 of 187
    Quote:

And Apple has been showing cracks in the "can-do-no-wrong" armor of late. The fat nano was redesigned a year later, returning to the previous form factor. FW was removed from the 13" MacBook and added back less than a year later. Matte screens were eliminated from the 15" MBP and have now returned. They admitted that they missed the mark with the first version of Apple TV (and I personally still don't think they've hit the mark with v2). None of these things have meant those products were failures. Just that Apple doesn't always get things right the first time.

Another way to look at that is that Apple has a new found willingness to listen to its customers.
  • Reply 98 of 187
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

If there is a new product come September it will make sense, though perhaps its value will not be initially obvious. For that to be true, I just don't imagine Apple will simply bring out an oversized Touch. There has to be more.

Why not a oversized 9x6" IPOD TOUCH

128 g ssd

Powerful gaming video- playback platform with increased Multi touch swipe

Real time video streaming'/ internet WIFI <N>

Voip

OSX

Book reader deluxe

Brand new app store which includes all mac/s

Somehow i can't see how heat won't be a problem .

• Reply 99 of 187
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Fair enough. But please note that I never said any of those products were a failure (although I have seen reports claiming the Cube was, in fact, a financial failure). .

The cube is the mini

the fat nano rocks

in fact i just bought a used one

Apple manages to sell any thing they make but

i do wonder what ever happened to there

apple speakers .
  • Reply 100 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

I say either $499 or $599

$499(subsidized) with a 2-year data plan from Verizon.