TomTom iPhone app released in New Zealand, priced at $84 U.S.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

If you already don?t have an FM transmitter I?d just buy a new stereo with a ⅛? headphone input jack in it. The mounting kit has that option pulling from the 30-pin connector, though I would have also liked to have seen a USB input cable coming off of it to since USB inputs are getting more and more common in stereos.

It?s easy to make the iPod app still work with another app running in the foreground. The best news is that the software will reportedly allow for handsfree calling while using the GPS. I hope that is true.

Or he/she could save a ton of money...

http://www.accessorygenie.com/advanc...ng-p-2545.html
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Yet for $20 NZ less I can get this:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...319361043&mt=8

Which includes maps for BOTH New Zealand and Australia as opposed to the $240NZ needed to get Tom Tom.

Man, I was so looking forward to this but I guess big capitalists like to rip people off.

I might hold off judgement though for the bundled hardware version because the GPS boost would be great.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    In the Australian App store it's $A99.99, NZ maps are $A114.99, US maps are $A119.99 and Western European maps are $A169.99
  • Reply 24 of 37
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Well, it's in the US iTunes Music Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...326075661&mt=8

$99

Ack....
  • Reply 25 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did I quote a dollar?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

well, I didn't want to pick over a penny.

Quote:

Rumor has it that at 99¢ they are going to sell it for, many here still wouldn't buy it.

Where did you lift that? I didn't find that on the post linked by the arrow after Abster's name.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I bought one of those and ended up throwing it away, it flopped all over the place as it is only attached at the lighter socket, I used to lean it against my leg to steady it, the FM transmitter kept dropping out and on long car journeys it would be swamped by local stations.

Now I wonder how much one of these will cost:-

http://iphone.tomtom.com/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Or he/she could save a ton of money...

http://www.accessorygenie.com/advanc...ng-p-2545.html

• Reply 27 of 37
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I was eager to throw all my eggs in one basket until I seen this link.

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/...iphone-car-kit

Apparently, the iPhone to car stereo for music is thru the normal 3.5mm jack. I was looking forward to a built-in FM transmitter...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

If you already don’t have an FM transmitter I’d just buy a new stereo with a ⅛” headphone input jack in it. The mounting kit has that option pulling from the 30-pin connector, though I would have also liked to have seen a USB input cable coming off of it to since USB inputs are getting more and more common in stereos.

It’s easy to make the iPod app still work with another app running in the foreground. The best news is that the software will reportedly allow for handsfree calling while using the GPS. I hope that is true.

Thanks for the link. I do already have an FM transmitter I use with my 5th gen iPod, but not sure if it's compatible with iPhone/touch. It's one of the older Kensington models. I'm waiting to see what new iPod touches come out next month and hope that they either include GPS or are compatible with the GPS receiver in the TomTom. Then it would be a question of whether a 3rd party FM transmitter accessory would provide enough power for both the iPod and the TomTom mount. The Kensington will charge my iPod while it's playing, but it charges very slowly, so it may not provide enough power for both devices.

Edit: Never mind. The TomTom doesn't have a dock pass through. I assumed that's how it supplied power and got it's audio out. From the links folks provided, it looks like mini-USB for power and a standard 3.5 minijack for audio out. Bummer. My Kengsinton transmitter works really well.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The TomTom application for iPhone appeared in the Australian and New Zealand Apple App Stores Sunday, with the software-only offering available at a U.S. price of $84.41.

Discovered by MacRumors, the application offers four separate maps for purchase: U.S. & Canada ($124.99 N.Z., $84.41 U.S.), Western Europe ($179.99 N.Z., $121.55 U.S.), Australia ($104.99 N.Z., $70.90 U.S.) and New Zealand ($119.99 N.Z., $81.03 U.S.). The software is separate from the hardware combo that will be offered by TomTom at a later date.

This isn't very clear to me. The above looks like the software and maps are sold separately, like you buy the software and then you buy your map package. On iTunes, it looks like the software and the map are bundled together. The prices on the US store are $99.99, $139.99, $79.99 and $94.99 respectively.

I'd like a good navigation app, but I really don't drive enough to make it worth buying one, I never did buy a GPS module, before iPhone, I would usually just print directions from Yahoo or Google and that served me well most of the time. Still, I'll keep it in mind if I ever do a road trip. If I would still have to buy the app separately, then I wouldn't be interested.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Hi,

I can see that there's no Middle East maps support listed for TomTom - I've searched all over the net and can't find any mention of any GPS system now (or coming) for the iphone with ME maps on it - does anyone know anything?

Thanks
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Well, it's in the US iTunes Music Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...326075661&mt=8

$99

Ack....

I wonder if this is the official final version, because it is not announced on the TomTom website, that still says 'coming soon.' Why would they put it on iTunes and not announce it? It does say August 15th, so maybe they will officially announce it tomorrow (Monday, August 17) and just wanted to get it up on iTunes a little early. I don't know, but I don't think $99 is a lot, it's cheaper than the separate devices on their website.

If you read above I said last month it would likely cost between $90-120, so $99 fits nicely to me. If anyone complains about $99, how is that too much, what do you want - $60-70? You are getting full maps, 3d maps, 2d maps, and more. It's a one time purchase, no monthly plans unlike the ATT app. If you never want to buy another map, you don't have to buy. Don't know the price to update maps, but at most, pay to update the maps every 2-3 years should be enough.

Well, if $99 is too much, can always buy Navigon for $69 for a lesser app. And I never owned any navigation system, but TomTom seems to offer more and from what I've read they are better.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Too late, too late.... I'm just back from yet another road trip... I'll need gps again not earlier than in 6 months from now...

Don't see, though, why the application may need that cradle to work...
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Just bought the TomTom App and I'm off to work. I'll let you know how it works. I doubt they'd release the software before the dock if the dock was really needed.... Its a 1.21GB App and taking the better part of 20min to download, perhaps the servers are slow right now
  • Reply 33 of 37
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    I may be mistaken, but I think that the $99 US and $99 CDN prices for the app includes the "US & Canadian" maps.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Where did you lift that? I didn't find that on the post linked by the arrow after Abster's name.

Another thread that discussed possible pricing. Same thread he referenced with my quote.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Another thread that discussed possible pricing. Same thread he referenced with my quote.

I see where you got that from. It was in response to another post making fun of the "still to be announced pricing."
  • Reply 36 of 37
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

I see where you got that from. It was in response to another post making fun of the "still to be announced pricing."

Yep, hence the use, by you and me, of the word 'rumoured'.