Moved to X, lost my bookmarks...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well today's dose of RDF got to me and I went and installed Jaguar on my production machine (it's been on my laptop for a couple months.)

Murphy's Law reared it's head and IE for OS X didn't pick up my bookmarks and went to the factory settings.

No problem. I downloaded Safari, but that picked up the IE for X factory settings as well, instead of the IE for 9 bookmarks.

No problem. I open my IE for 9 preferences and drag 'em to what I thought was the correct locations in X. No dice. Now IE for 9 reverts to factory settings.

Okay now this is a problem. Now no browser on my primary machine has my two years of bookmarks. I am fully backed up, but think I need some help figuring out how I get my bookmarks back.

This is what I feared, Jaguar's turned me into a newbie again...how the mighty have fallen...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Did you drag your Favorites.html file from your OS 9 System/Preferences/Explorer folder to your OS X Users/username/Library/Preferences/Explorer folder? That's how I do it on machines I upgrade. Works every time.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Boot back into OS 9, launch Explorer, export bookmarks. Go back into OS X, import bookmarks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Thanks for your help guys. But I think it's hopeless.

I backed up everything except the System Folder, since the 9.2 install was very recent and I was thinking my Bookmarks were kept in the Microsoft User Data folder in the Documents folder.

Oh well, everything else runs fine and I'll accumulate most the bookmarks (in Safari!) again over time.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why would IE import the bookmarks automatically? IE sucks first of all and second, isn't it totally different versions of the app using dirrent preferences and stuff?