Canalys: iPhone outsold all Windows Mobile phones in Q2 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    The decline will continue until it exists no more. Microsoft neither can nor want to innovate. Windows is as old as dinosaurs. And like dinosaurs, it will die and be gone.

Windows sucks! Not for me, no way.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Ballmer in 2007: There?s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.

that never gets old does it?
  • Reply 23 of 81
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

From the perspective of a consumer and a developer, what standard features can I depend on to be included in every Android phone.?

i think that's going to be the biggest drawback for android. the average consumer will have to read the fineprint about the included features for specific models. that could lead to some buyer's remorse. overall i think android is going to be a viable alternative. it's just not going to be the no-brainer that (i think) the iphone is.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I really hope Apple could continue with the growth. Which would properly require price cut in 6 months time and a new version in a years time.

The next iPhone is going to be important because Nokia is catching up rapidly. And it is perhaps the biggest competitor Apple has to encounter in terms of innovation, cash and power.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Ballmer in 2007: There?s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.

Ha. Look how things have changed over 2+ years.. The iPhone has truly proved to be revolutionary to many..
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

The decline will continue until it exists no more. Microsoft neither can nor want to innovate. Windows is as old as dinosaurs. And like dinosaurs, it will die and be gone.

Windows sucks! Not for me, no way.

Windows 7= Mac OSX LEOPARD only..

Zune= So last year.. iPod is still the IN thing..

WM= last year also.. iPhone OSX = The best mobile OS available now.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Oh, so I just HAVE to post this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo

Balmer really will be the end of Microsoft...

LOL. Nice!
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Well, they already did: it's called the Blackberry Storm; it's pretty awful, and it hasn't exactly put a dent in iPhone sales.

I'm not a close follower of RIM's product roadmaps, but their touchscreen devices need a serious, serious rethink if they want to compete with Apple in that space.

I was checking out Storm reviews and I guess the clicky touchscreen is just epic inconvenience and a major fail.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Android was released after the iPhone.

Anyone who thinks that Android won't have a larger share of the market than Apple in three years time is highly deluded.

I don't think you are deluded thinking Apple will have larger market share than Android in three years, but I do think the Android results are actually pretty impressive. With less time and let's face it, without Apples incredible marketing machine behind it, Android has gained a reasonable share of the market - I'm impressed.

However, Apple seem to be on the up here. Much like with getting peoples music on iTunes, getting peoples apps in there as well starts to tie people into a technology in a way that nobody else seems to have managed. Connect that to the fact that Apple keep knocking out innovative hardware and software, and they seem to be in good shape.

What I'm really interested to see is how iPhone sales lead to further Mac sales.

My path into Apple was buying an iPod because of the hype and it looked cool. I then bought a Mac because I was impressed by the quality of the design of the iPod. I then bought an Apple TV because I was impressed by the Mac, then I bought another Mac because I'd been blown away by how much better it was than Windows etc.

I wonder how many people are having their first experience of Apple and will buy Macs because of it. Even more, I wonder how many CEO's will be getting iPhones because, lets face it, all the cool execs have them (!), and will then force their IT departments to support it, and may then force their IT departments to look at Macs.

I really feel iPhone is a trojan horse for Apple.

Now, if only my CEO would get one and force our IT nerds to support them - then I could get away from Blackberry!
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

My path into Apple was buying an iPod because of the hype and it looked cool. I then bought a Mac because I was impressed by the quality of the design of the iPod. I then bought an Apple TV because I was impressed by the Mac, then I bought another Mac because I'd been blown away by how much better it was than Windows etc.

I wonder how many people are having their first experience of Apple and will buy Macs because of it. Even more, I wonder how many CEO's will be getting iPhones because, lets face it, all the cool execs have them (!), and will then force their IT departments to support it, and may then force their IT departments to look at Macs.

I really feel iPhone is a trojan horse for Apple.

Paul, thanks for sharing ur story...I was at a restaurant tonite, and saw a decent number of the diners eating there at some point fiddling with their iPhones. The amazing thing was, the diversity of the demographic using it. Age, gender, socio-economic status, and pretty much anyone who might afford it. Very little rhyme or reason.

Like those Russian wooden dolls that nest inside each other, I think the iPod Touch is the trojan horse for the iPhone. The ability to move your files from the Touch to iPhone was a cross-platform stroke of brilliance. All iPod Touch's are iPhones on training wheels!

I already know of a few "top execs" in my world (clergy of large churches) who embrace them. In fact, one grants a stipend for the purchase of iPhones for all his staff, and it was a 4000 member church.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Paul, thanks for sharing ur story...I was at a restaurant tonite, and saw a decent number of the diners eating there at some point fiddling with their iPhones. The amazing thing was, the diversity of the demographic using it. Age, gender, socio-economic status, and pretty much anyone who might afford it. Very little rhyme or reason.

Like those Russian wooden dolls that nest inside each other, I think the iPod Touch is the trojan horse for the iPhone. The ability to move your files from the Touch to iPhone was a cross-platform stroke of brilliance. All iPod Touch's are iPhones on training wheels!

I already know of a few "top execs" in my world (clergy of large churches) who embrace them. In fact, one grants a stipend for the purchase of iPhones for all his staff, and it was a 4000 member church.

That was what Steve Jobs said when he introduced the first iPod Touch! Training wheels for the iPhone!
  • Reply 32 of 81
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    The iPhone with its integrated multi touch technology, full Unix based OS, and integrated hardware has been a disruptive technology. They have first mover advantage and the critical mass in apps. I do not see how the competition is going to catch up.

Windows Mobile, RIMM products are yesterday's tech... their OS has limitations. They added touch tech, but does not integrate well. Android is a free OS, but their partners are varied. HTC for one makes junk phones, enough to make me puke and I have owned 2 of their phones with Windows Mobile... very poor performance. The Pre is a poor copy of the iPhone with limited apps... why buy a copy when for almost the same price, one can buy the real thing? Nokia is loosing market share... I doubt that Microsoft Office will make much of a difference... that is yesterday's tech.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Don't dismiss Windows Mobile so easily - MS announced just this week that next year there will be TWO Windows Mobile operating systems - WM 6.5 and WM 7. That's two OS's to Apple's one. Windows Mobile will make a big comeback, as people rush to...

Oh, never mind.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The writing's on the wall.

MS' gross laziness and negligence when it comes to their consumer products has caught up with them again.

And it looks like they have no sane, comprehensive, workable plan to resurrect the mess that is Windows Mobile.

Heh!

When I first glanced at your writing "MS' gross laziness and negligence", I thought; Does he know me that well?

But then I read the rest of the sentence and realized you didn't mean me.

You didn't, did you?

• Reply 35 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post

Why? I'm not sure I follow the logic but I'd like to. Looking at desktop penetration of Linux and Chrome market share, I'm not seeing it. But I'd honestly like to hear the argument for that scenario.

Is it because of the low cost to phone hardware manufacturers? Their ability to modify it to meet their business needs? That I might understand.

Yes, that's exactly why they're interested. Symbian is too old. It looks as though even Nokia is moving in other directions.

Win Mobil will cost them between $7 and $15 per phone. WebOS will also cost them money. Plus, they would have to pay again for each phone every year when an upgrade came out.

The Linux OS's haven't done too well, and so that leaves Android.

I'd be willing to bet that if Apple licensed their phone OS, they would be lining up at the door for the access to the App Store.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Maybe Microsoft should partner up more and have Nokia ditch Symbian for WinMo 6.5 and 7.0. Couldn't hurt.

Personally I don't care for WinMo as it has always tried to be a desktop on your phone with cumbersome menus etc. That's why I've preferred the Blackberry over WinMo devices.

The iPhones app layout copied RIM's Blackberry OS application layout, but that's about. The iPhone is nice but my phone is about doing business so ease of receiving email and hooking-up with common documents is a must. The Blackberry OS integrates with Outlook real well. I don't see the iPhone doing that very well especially with calendar appointments and alerts.

So far the Blackberry is the superior business phone, but the iPhone is catching-up rapidly. I'd say by iPhone OS 4.0 Apple will surpass the Blackberry as the must-hast does-all business phone.

Don't expect RIM to stand still though. Those Canadians are smarties.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

T Nokia is loosing market share... I doubt that Microsoft Office will make much of a difference... that is yesterday's tech.

If Nokia are loosing market share, then maybe someone should tighten it up then...
  • Reply 38 of 81
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Eighteen (18) months ago, Apple and RIM had much lower market share.

cf. http://www.canalys.com/pr/2008/r2008021.htm

Apple and RIM had 6.5% and 11.4% respectively.

Those percentages are a funny thing, you can't directly compare them from year to year as the market has changed so much in that time
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, that's exactly why they're interested. Symbian is too old. It looks as though even Nokia is moving in other directions.

Win Mobil will cost them between $7 and $15 per phone. WebOS will also cost them money. Plus, they would have to pay again for each phone every year when an upgrade came out.

The Linux OS's haven't done too well, and so that leaves Android.

I'd be willing to bet that if Apple licensed their phone OS, they would be lining up at the door for the access to the App Store.

+1!! LOL! Everybody will want the iPhone OS by then!!
  • Reply 40 of 81
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Heh!

When I first glanced at your writing "MS' gross laziness and negligence", I thought; Does he know me that well?

But then I read the rest of the sentence and realized you didn't mean me.

You didn't, did you?

LOL, no, I was just trying to make it sound as serious as it deserves to be.

But it's interesting, the way you read the comment.