High Bitrate .mp3's cutting off

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anybody experienced any problems with 320kbps mp3's and iTunes?

I spent a lot of time recently replacing my 128kbps mp3's with converted .flac's and 320kbps files. However, all songs that I have recently replaced keep cutting off in the middle of the song. I've already deleted the smaller files so I'm kinda stuck with what i've got

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do? Anybody know the reason why this is happening? Please help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    OK, are you transcoding the files? In other words, are you just converting from the smaller 128kbps files to FLAC and 320kbps mp3? Because that does you absolutely no good. You won't get worse quality, you'll just be taking up more space with the same quality files. The sound quality compared to the original source of the audio was already compromised when it was converted to 128kbps mp3. Any converting you do after that will not yield any benefits.

If you have the original CDs, it's best to re-rip the files. Also, any files you rip in FLAC will not work on an iPod (and few other digital audio players), so I suggest just using 320kbps mp3 or another high quality AAC setting. You could also try Apple Lossless, but compatibility with other devices is severely limited.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mahnee1mahnee1 Posts: 2member
    The source files are all 320kbps, and the FLAC files have been converted to mp3 w/ a 320kbps bit rate.

However, I wonder if it has to do with the method that I'm using to replace the songs in my iTunes. I don't know if this would be the issue, but I just don't like to delete songs out of my iTunes, and replace them with a new song if all of the song info is already in my iTunes. So I've just been deleting the original, low quality files. Then double clicking on the corresponding song in my iTunes, and then finding the new, higher-quality song file in iTunes. Would this be the cause of the problem? Should I just delete the songs from iTunes, and start fresh?

Actually, it's only on my iPod, and it's fine in my iTunes. Any ideas??
  • Reply 3 of 7
    olfolf Posts: 1member
    I do this a lot too. Many times I get a single early via a blog or something, then when the album is released I buy it on eMusic or somewhere. Very often the early single is a radio-rip or a 128kbit file or something, so I want to use the superior version I got with the album. However, I also want to keep my "date added" and "play count" and so on from the single. So I do exactly as the user above describes. It works flawlessly in iTunes. I get the high quality file coupled with the info from the original mp3. On the iPod, however, the song stops playing halfway through. I suppose that the song ends when the original mp3-file ended, that is after 3.5 mb instead of after, say, 5.3 Mb.

This worked in earlier versions, but doesn't anymore. Has anyone got a solution for this? I've tried converting the ID3-tags to different versions to sort of get iTunes to refresh it's info. I've also tried to enter the "Stop Time" manually, but it doesn't help.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Hi all,

I have encountered the same problem. I use dBPoweramp to convert .flac to 320 mp3s and iTunes plays the file perfectly, but my iPod, 80 Gig classic cuts out the song about 1/2way through. I've tried erasing my ipod and reloading all the songs, but they still don't work.

I suspect, like above mentioned, that the file is getting cut off where the old mp3 ended.

Please help. I do not want to have to re-download and re-name ALL of my collection again (40+ gigs)

Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I have been experiencing the same problem. After doing some research I have come across the following post which seems to describe the problem and what is happening perfectly:

http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/in.../t-198774.html

Unfortunately there is no way around this apart from deleting the offending tracks from iTunes and re-importing them as far as I can tell. I have taken to writing down the current play counts before deleting the tracks, then once re-importing I set each songs play time to about 1 second and then keep playing the songs until they match the original play counts. It takes a couple of minutes but if you like to keep your play counts it works.

Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Just wanted to say yeah I've had this problem too. Hope they get it fixed sometime.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steven.81 View Post

I have taken to writing down the current play counts before deleting the tracks, then once re-importing I set each songs play time to about 1 second and then keep playing the songs until they match the original play counts. It takes a couple of minutes but if you like to keep your play counts it works.

If you're on a Mac, you can use AppleScript to automate this process. Open Script Editor (found in /Applications/AppleScript/) and copy and paste the following code into the editor:

Code:

tell application "iTunes"

if selection is {} then

display dialog "Select a track first..." buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 2 giving up after 15

return

end if

if (count items of selection) > 1 then

display dialog "Select a single track..." buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 2 giving up after 15

return

end if

set sel to item 1 of selection

set displayString to "Please input a desired play count"

set defaultAnswer to 0

repeat

set response to display dialog displayString default answer defaultAnswer

try

set theNumber to (text returned of response) as number

exit repeat

on error errstr

set displayString to errstr & return & "Please try again."

set defaultAnswer to text returned of response

end try

end repeat

set sel's played count to theNumber

end tell

Then save this in ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts (if that scripts folder doesn't exist, create it; ~ represents your home folder), calling it something sensible like "set play count".

Now, in iTunes, there will be a script menu (the script icon between the "Window" and "Help" menus); if not, quit and restart iTunes. Now, select a track, then go to the script menu and choose "set play count", enter a number in the dialogue that appears and the play count will be set.