Computer Icon (change?)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it possible to change the icon used for "computer" that appears in the toolbar of the finder windows?

I apologize ahead of time if this is common knowledge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Yes, it's possible. You need a little shareware program called CandyBar. You can download it from <a href="http://www.panic.com/"; target="_blank">Panic</a>.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    If you want to change only the computer toolbar icon, you can save $12.95 and do it yourself, assuming you're willing to type a few terminal commands. First, find a computer icon you like and save it as a .icns file (Mac OS X icon file). I've used <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11842&db=mac"; target="_blank">Iconographer</a>, which has a free trial mode; I'm sure there are lots of other programs that can make icns files.

In OS X 10.2.x, the file you need to replace is iMac.icns in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources. In 10.1.x, the file is computer.icns in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources. These instructions are for 10.2 and assume that your new icon file, youricon.icns, is on the Desktop.

In the terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources [navigates to the correct folder]

sudo cp iMac.icns iMac.icns.backup [enter password when requested; makes backup of default computer icon]

ls[lists files; make sure your backup worked]

sudo cp ~/Desktop/youricon.icns iMac.icns [copies your icon to the default computer icon file]

The change will not be applied until your next login. If you ever want to return to the original iMac icon, it's quite easy:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources

sudo cp iMac.icns.backup iMac.icns
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by jbirdski:

<strong>If you want to change only the computer toolbar icon, you can save $12.95 and do it yourself, assuming you're willing to type a few terminal commands. First, find a computer icon you like and save it as a .icns file (Mac OS X icon file). I've used <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11842&db=mac"; target="_blank">Iconographer</a>, which has a free trial mode; I'm sure there are lots of other programs that can make icns files.

In OS X 10.2.x, the file you need to replace is iMac.icns in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources. In 10.1.x, the file is computer.icns in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources. These instructions are for 10.2 and assume that your new icon file, youricon.icns, is on the Desktop.

In the terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources [navigates to the correct folder]

sudo cp iMac.icns iMac.icns.backup [enter password when requested; makes backup of default computer icon]

ls[lists files; make sure your backup worked]

sudo cp ~/Desktop/youricon.icns iMac.icns [copies your icon to the default computer icon file]

The change will not be applied until your next login. If you ever want to return to the original iMac icon, it's quite easy:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources

sudo cp iMac.icns.backup iMac.icns</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great... I like what I hear... I'll play with that later!

Thanks!

[Edit] Actually... I found that there is an app called IconComposer that was made by Apple. You can use it if you installed the developer tools. It is installed in /Developer/Applications/IconComposer

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: drumbug1 ]</p>