Technical issues could delay iPod camera upgrade

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

No, we haven't. We are an advertising agency and 1 hour of down time for our printer means $2,000 per hour.

I can't afford to let the floor go as our printers are high speed HP's. Our High Res Cover Proofs are Epson with EFI Rips (none of which worked on the test Snow Job Mac).

We tested 1 mac and with our corporation being on Windows almost every factor failed IT testing.

Unlike the average gaming Apple user we use computer for profit. No email, no printers, sparadic network issues and the recalibrating to of all our screens and printers to match the new Gama that is stock in Leopard (to match Windows PC and the rest of our printers) are the few I can think of.

We are doing our 2010 revised budget and since 1/2 our Macs can't upgrade we're going with Windows across the board.

Are the artists upset? Yes. But it's that or be out of a job. The profit margin has taken a huge hit and we can buy 3 PC's for the price of a Mac Pro. We've done the testing with Adobe (all the software we use on the floor) and they will honor our Mac Licenses and swap them out with PC versions for free.

I was able to cut my budget by about 15%.

So Kindly shut your holier than thou attitude and try using Macs OS to make money.

Until then Kindly GET OFF MY ASS YOU TROLL.

What the hell are you doing upgrading in the first week of release? You never upgrade your production/money machines on the X.X.0 release. That's dumb, dumb, DUMB. You should wait for at least a month before starting your evaluation testing and then only with the X.X.1 or X.X.2 releases.

As for being faster in the Windows world. My corporation usually waits a year or more before releasing MS upgrades to the workforce. So don't give us that crap about failing IT testing. They haven't had it long enough to even get started. Besides most of ITs testing is buzzword compliance and Apple uses a different set of buzzwords.

Do your artists really need the MacPro? I think less and less people are limited to requiring the Pro. Take another look at what the artists needs are and the systems they must have to support them. You might be surprised that a Pro system is no longer needed.

BTW, most gamers use Windows. No serious gamer would be caught dead using a Mac.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

The story may or may not make sense. But journalism (whether as a producer or as a consumer of it) works this way: As a reporter, when you can you attribute your stories, and as a reader you value the information depending upon the credibility of the identified source. As a reporter, if you have a source who's proven reliable in the past but refuses to be quoted, you may choose to publish the story, specifying for the reader's benefit the past reliability of that source, and as a reader, you value the information depending upon the credibility of the news source, rather than of the source himself/herself. That's pretty standard. Your response doesn't acknowledge that--and has been pointed out by others, is unduly hostile, town-meeting kind of static obscuring the discussion.

Are we going to get into this again? I thought everyone essentially agreed that since AppleInsider is primarily a rumor site, it is generally not held to standards of journalism... which is odd, because I've seen their stories linked everywhere on the web. Including many mainstream news organizations who should know better, but would prefer to generate click traffic or manipulate AAPL stock, eh?
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

What the hell are you doing upgrading in the first week of release? You never upgrade your production/money machines on the X.X.0 release. That's dumb, dumb, DUMB. You should wait for at least a month before starting your evaluation testing and then only with the X.X.1 or X.X.2 releases.

As for being faster in the Windows world. My corporation usually waits a year or more before releasing MS upgrades to the workforce. So don't give us that crap about failing IT testing. They haven't had it long enough to even get started. Besides most of ITs testing is buzzword compliance and Apple uses a different set of buzzwords.

Do your artists really need the MacPro? I think less and less people are limited to requiring the Pro. Take another look at what the artists needs are and the systems they must have to support them. You might be surprised that a Pro system is no longer needed.

BTW, most gamers use Windows. No serious gamer would be caught dead using a Mac.

As I said, we are the advertising branch for our company. Nothing went live on the floor.

We have also been testing Windows 7 in conjuction with Snow Leapord. All testing has passed both corporate IT and we are actually using it on 2 test PC's and get jobs out of both every day. To move a 2gb file from our Server (PC) to our test PC's were 80% faster.

The 1 Mac we had was still copying while the PC's were already working on LIVE WORK.

Adobe has been great and has had a tech and sales person with us for over a month.

You have a lot more control when you have 29k employee's and Adobe is pushing Windows. They upgraded our Type 1 library to OpenType so we could handle the few customers we have that haven't made the change.

Edit. I didn't read the rest of your rambling. Yes, we create files that are on Average 2gb per piece. Put that 64 up on a printing plate and you need all the RAM and Computing Power you can use.

We went from Sun (Cost and yearly fee charges) to Mac's. With Windows 7 we've been given the budget for the switch and Adobe has helped us working with our other Vendor to make sure it's a smooth upgrade.

Yes, we will wait until our next quarter to make the change, until then PC Vendors are giving us everything we need to make the switch seamless. Heck even our Artist's realize change the Apple Key to Command Key and all of the shortcuts are the same (they even mapped the same for our auto workflow features).
  • Reply 44 of 83
    I think alot of your an pouncing to hard on this story... We will find out wednesday if it is true or not but we have to remember that the iPod events happen in early September each year and that Apple probably wants its new pricing/iPods announced before the Zune HD comes out so that people might decide to get an iPod Touch instead. And don't delude yourself in thinking that many people are not eyeing the Zune HD regardless of your opinion over what is better (and how can your truely know when the new specs of the iPod Touch are not out and the Zune HD has not been properly reviewed)

Apple could also have the iTunes Software ready, have to do it that date due to the Beatles and possibly have iPod Classic, Nano updates ready to ship with dwindling supply of the old versions.

In addition to possible errors, just because you have driven a million times before doesn't mean you won't be in an accident today. Apple could experience issues with faulty camera modules. They could experience issues with the manufacturing process. We are speculating at all that the iPod Touch will get a camera. We further speculate it will be the same as the iPhone. We also forget the iPod Touch is thinner than the iPhone. We forget the iPhone is plastic while the iPod Touch has been a steel back.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I have to believe that Apple is announcing new iPods on Wednesday and that there is no problem with the hardware. Why have the event if the iPods aren't really ready.

You have to admit Apple is getting some things right, some things still fabulous, and some things f*ed up.

I do some work for an Asian Apple reseller and I can tell you this sounds about right, on the supply chain side in the past 6 months something has gotten messed up.

Google News iPhone 3GS shortages and you'll see a lot of global constraints of stock and people not getting iPhone 3GS for weeks despite pre-booking and high demand. For example Canada.

The 15" MacBook Pro faced stock shortages up until the start of this month.

Snow Leopard - same story, a drip feed for those countries outside what is believed to be the "core" markets.

Of course, if you are in the US and UK Apple tries to keep ATT and official Apple Stores.

I'm liking Snow Leopard and of course I still think Apple does some great stuff but I wouldn't be surprised the announcement will be "shipping later this month" with stock not really smoothly flowing until middle of October.

Not sure if Steve Jobs was the main dude in giving Chinese manufacturers a swift kick up the a** or whether it's the economy, or what.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Indeed. "experienced technical problems with the cameras months ago" - why would they announce an event months later if they hadn't fixed it?

Maybe there was a problem - remember the rumours that Apple bought loads of 5MP cameras? Maybe those cameras had the problems, so Apple used 3.2MP cameras in the iPhone 3GS and in the upcoming iPod Touch instead of the 5MP cameras.

It's the supply chain. They've lined up everything but something is definitely wrong somewhere in the supply chain. With Chinese manufacturers as well they can be producing the same components for months, then perhaps they (the manufacturers) start to try and cut costs resulting in poorer quality batches of components.

Yeah, maybe Apple sourced 5MP cameras but couldn't get a reliable stream of components, and perhaps with so many iPhone 3GS still in demand (demand is huge ~ Thailand, off the radar, but that country alone is expected to sell 50,000 to 100,000 units for example) ... Perhaps Apple tried to secure more 3MP or 5MP camera units for the iPods but all that had to be diverted to keeping up with iPhone 3GS demand.

So maybe Apple tried to source a different 3MP supplier but hasn't been getting good batches.

It's the story of the year. Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec. Expect high demand for Apple products globally but only the core markets (US, UK, Japan, Australia[possibly], Singapore, Europe[certain countries]) really being served reasonably well.

Again, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Steve Jobs' involvement or lack thereof in this situation through most of this year.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

No, the story is reported like Apple got a batch of BAD PARTS - flawed, broken, not working like they should, B. A. D. - from a supplier. Apple's ready to launch a significant new product and the thing gets screwed up because of a supplier's error. That is a significant story.

- Jasen.

Agreed. The more significant issue as I've been trying to say is this has been happening FREQUENTLY this year. Eg. MacBook Pro, definitely iPhone 3GS shortage (which may or may not be bad parts but certainly supply chain/ ramping production/ forecasting demand issues).
  • Reply 48 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

And who is this so-called BS source that claims to have a strong track record in predicting Apple products? Here is why this story is full of it: The camera already works fine in the iPhone, so why would there be a technical problem adding it to an iPod Touch?

If you are going to post this BS as a story, at least post the moron who is making this up.

Have you ever heard of different designs, different manufacturers or even bad batch of production?

I know fanboys are put together in a sterile, error free environment, but still...
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I only use my MBP to play Crysis. ;0
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Have you ever heard of different designs, different manufacturers or even bad batch of production?

I know fanboys are put together in a sterile, error free environment, but still...

Nice. I thought fanboys are brought into being by some sort of a digital stork. That bird flying around with a baby... so analog and old skool.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

I only use my MBP to play Crysis. ;0

Have you tried Wolfenstein? Gonna install it later tonight yaaay... It might not be the greatest game but I've been waiting for something new since Fear2, Left4Dead and DeadSpace (which were all quite good by the way).

Tried Prototype but the graphics are really poor, man... Everything is f*ng made for consoles nowadays.

Mac gamers? PC gamers may soon be going extinct too. Nah, just joshing, probably not so soon.

But PC gaming is definitely a b*tchslave of console gaming, the way it's going. I mean, Batman: Arkham, NO ANTIALIASING UNLESS YOU ARE USING an NVIDIA card. So wrong.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Have you tried Wolfenstein? Gonna install it later tonight yaaay... It might not be the greatest game but I've been waiting for something new since Fear2, Left4Dead and DeadSpace (which were all quite good by the way).

Tried Prototype but the graphics are really poor, man... Everything is f*ng made for consoles nowadays.

Mac gamers? PC gamers may soon be going extinct too. Nah, just joshing, probably not so soon.

But PC gaming is definitely a b*tchslave of console gaming, the way it's going. I mean, Batman: Arkham, NO ANTIALIASING UNLESS YOU ARE USING an NVIDIA card. So wrong.

That's true and no, I have not tried Wolfenstein. But, Deadspace FTW!
  • Reply 53 of 83
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Let me ask you a question. Suppose you publish a blog about things Apple. Suppose you have the highest of standards and principles. Suppose your desire, above all else, is to give your readers the very best information and insights possible into things Apple. (I'm not saying AI is all that, i'm just asking you to flow with this hypothetical).

Now, suppose you hear from a source who has on, let's say, 3 occasions in the past, given you information that you did not publish, but which to even your surprise, proved to be spot on. Suppose the source hasn't been wrong yet.

So you get this information about the camera problems. Do you say nothing about it? Do you publish it as fact? Based on the source's past accuracy with you, do you report what he/she's said this time, while telling your readers of the track record? How would YOU handle it, if someone you believed had an inside line on apple news, came to you with this report, and if you were a writer/editor for a blog about things apple?

so many questions ??⌅
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:

As I said, we are the advertising branch for our company. Nothing went live on the floor.

We have also been testing Windows 7 in conjuction with Snow Leapord. All testing has passed both corporate IT and we are actually using it on 2 test PC's and get jobs out of both every day. To move a 2gb file from our Server (PC) to our test PC's were 80% faster.

The 1 Mac we had was still copying while the PC's were already working on LIVE WORK.

Adobe has been great and has had a tech and sales person with us for over a month.

You have a lot more control when you have 29k employee's and Adobe is pushing Windows. They upgraded our Type 1 library to OpenType so we could handle the few customers we have that haven't made the change.

Edit. I didn't read the rest of your rambling. Yes, we create files that are on Average 2gb per piece. Put that 64 up on a printing plate and you need all the RAM and Computing Power you can use.

We went from Sun (Cost and yearly fee charges) to Mac's. With Windows 7 we've been given the budget for the switch and Adobe has helped us working with our other Vendor to make sure it's a smooth upgrade.

Yes, we will wait until our next quarter to make the change, until then PC Vendors are giving us everything we need to make the switch seamless. Heck even our Artist's realize change the Apple Key to Command Key and all of the shortcuts are the same (they even mapped the same for our auto workflow features).

I'm going to call bullshit on this one. Everyone knows that in printing, you need to wait for a RIP update when you upgrade your OS. No different then what you had to do every 2 years for the past decade with every subsequent release of OSX. To be bitching about this now all of a sudden makes no sense.

Sure, Windows 7 may not break anything, but that's because it's only a service pack of Vista (that's why it's actually Windows 6.1 ) - funny that someone in the "Marketing department" would fall for that one...

But honestly - if all you are doing is printing 2 gig files, wtf are you using Mac Pros for? What the hell do you think you spent all that money on RIPs for? Honestly - people are such idiots.

And if you are using P.C.s for creative - then you can't be using them for anything more than monkey work - because Photoshop and Illustrator can't minimize windows to the task bar in Windows, so there is no window management.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:

Do not let the fanboys get to you. There are a lot of reasons that windows is so dominant in the business place and will remain so. They are unwilling to admit to the problems with their operating system and other issues.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Its a supplier problem, but still Apple could keep an eye on QC a little bit better if they were made here instead in a slave labor factory in China.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Sorry, I just don't get it...

Why would I replace either of my working touches with one that has a camera?

For me a camera is not a compelling reason to upgrade.

Now, double the screen size so the keyboard, internet and ebook readers have more room and I'd replace both in a minute!

I don't need or want a so-called tablet computer, but a touch with more screen real estate and either more memory (64 or 128 Gig) or a SD slot would be great.

I'm getting ready to get a Kindle 2 or DX for my wife (we already have one KIndle 2) just because the iPhone version of the Kindle reader is just too hard for her to read. So I'm willing to spend the money just give me something worth buying!!!
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

Do not let the fanboys get to you. There are a lot of reasons that windows is so dominant in the business place and will remain so. They are unwilling to admit to the problems with their operating system and other issues.

THEY do??!??

If you have proof that Windows machines have a installed base higher than 40% I would love to see it....

... yeah - didn't think so.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

THEY do??!??

If you have proof that Windows machines have a installed base higher than 40% I would love to see it....

... yeah - didn't think so.

Umm, what the hell are you talking about? He said they were dominant in business. Are you saying they aren't?
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Umm, what the hell are you talking about? He said they were dominant in business. Are you saying they aren't?

What dominance is there? All the business hanging onto an 8 year old os? XP? You call that dominance. Everyone is transitioning to Linux and OSX.