Technical issues could delay iPod camera upgrade

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

What dominance is there? All the business hanging onto an 8 year old os? XP? You call that dominance. Everyone is transitioning to Linux and OSX.

That would be a major business story on the business networks if that were true. Yes there is linux out there but I would like you to give proof of some large companies that are transitioning to OSX. Despite your claims you will have a hard time coming up with very many names. Since you are throwing out percentage numbers you must have looked at some data what percentage is switching to mac?
  • Reply 62 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

You have a lot more control when you have 29k employee's and Adobe is pushing Windows. They upgraded our Type 1 library to OpenType so we could handle the few customers we have that haven't made the change.

This makes no sense. What the hell does having 29k employees, Adobe pushing Windows, and Open Type have to do with the price of beans? Nothing wrong with an all Windows environment. Go do it and leave us alone. The way you write, you seem to have a large stick stuck in your butt that is affecting your rationalness, spelling and grammar.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

That would be a major business story on the business networks if that were true.

It was - it's called the Vista train wreck. Business ran away from Windows in a panic. If you have proof showing otherwise - I'd love to see it.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:

It was - it's called the Vista train wreck. Business ran away from Windows in a panic. If you have proof showing otherwise - I'd love to see it.

My proof is the obvious domination of windows and linux in the business place When asked for proof of the move to mac you provide nothning! Enough said.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

My proof is the obvious domination of windows and linux in the business place When asked for proof of the move to mac you provide nothning! Enough said.

Mac has 90% of the premium market - it's over. Microsoft has lost. Their revenue is plummeting and they are now borrowing money for day to day operations.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

Mac has 90% of the premium market - it's over. Microsoft has lost. Their revenue is plummeting and they are now borrowing money for day to day operations.

That's pretty funny. NO really,

220.66 Billion Dollars - Microsoft current Market Cap

154.64 Billion Dollars - Apple's current Market Cap

66.02 Billion dollars to go. How long will the iPhone and Touch hold up as popular?

Mac OS has been about the same low percentage of Market Share and has not gained more than a few points in 30 years.

Get a Phone that will Multi Task or Games over for Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:

That's pretty funny. NO really,

220.66 Billion Dollars - Microsoft current Market Cap

154.64 Billion Dollars - Apple's current Market Cap

66.02 Billion dollars to go. How long will the iPhone and Touch hold up as popular?

Mac OS has been about the same low percentage of Market Share and has not gained more than a few points in 30 years.

Get a Phone that will Multi Task or Games over for Apple.

Your postings are disingenuous, at best. Apple business model makes it impossible to meet or beat MS OS marketshare. For Apple to have 90+% of OS marketshare would mean that they would have 90+% of the PC HW marketshare. How is that reasonable to you?

Even if they had highest single vendor PC marketshare in the world (assume taking over HP’s 25%) they would only still have a 25% marketshare of the OS market. Still ¼ of what MS has. Even that is pretty impossible to conceive with Apple’s current business model as they do sell to a more premium market. Apple pockets 33¢ of every $1 of all PC sales and has a 92% per unit sales rate of all PC sold over $1000 in the US.

A premium market business model can be quite profitable but it makes even a 1% marketshare gain very difficult to achieve, so your notion that Apple’s OS is a failure because of only raising a few percent marketshare over the last few years is completely bogus.

PS: Note that MS’ Windows is no position to fail at this time or at the hands of Apple. MS’ business model of supporting legacy HW, legacy APIs and supporting a multitude of PC vendors means that their business model of supporting corporate sales is no jeopardy. Perhaps in the future Chrome OS will reduce costs and be robust enough in browser-based apps that Windows will lose out, but that is still a theory and in no way a reality at this time.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

PS: Note that MS’ Windows is no position to fail at this time or at the hands of Apple. MS’ business model of supporting legacy HW, legacy APIs and supporting a multitude of PC vendors means that their business model of supporting corporate sales is no jeopardy. Perhaps in the future Chrome OS will reduce costs and be robust enough in browser-based apps that Windows will lose out, but that is still a theory and in no way a reality at this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the cool gut

You preaching to the wrong guy. Try telling it to the cool gut. He has a different view.

What Apple Fan's don't seem to realize is that MS is not threat as much as they hate them.

I'd be looking out for Google. They're hitting Apple in every Market except music.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Quote:

You preaching to the wrong guy. Try telling it to the cool gut. He has a different view.

What Apple Fan's don't seem to realize is that MS is not threat as much as they hate them.

I'd be looking out for Google. They're hitting Apple in every Market except music.

That is why it was a PS. Only the first sentence could be directed at Cool Gut, but the rest of it is to you as comparing Apple to MS and saying that Apple has failed in comparison is erroneous.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Technical problems? They're cellphone cameras. A billion of them are manufactured every year.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Just days before Apple is expected to unveil its new line of iPods, multiple reports are suggesting that some of the widely anticipated camera-equipped media players could be delayed due to technical difficulties. [Updated with info from Hardmac.]

A person with a strong track record in predicting Apple's upcoming product launches recently told AppleInsider that the iPod maker has experienced technical problems (bad parts) with the cameras modules. The person said that it was uncertain whether the new hardware, which has been widely expected to debut at Wednesday's "Only rock and roll" media-centric event, would make the cut for early September retail distribution.

The report echos one published earlier Monday by Hardmac, the English-language version of French Apple news site Macbidouille.

For months, photos of third-party cases for the iPod touch and iPod nano with camera holes have been surfacing online, leading most to believe that the new hardware was essentially a foregone conclusion at the Sept. 9 keynote. Though there have been no such cases to support a similar upgrade for the iPod classic, one rumor has implied Apple's only hard drive-based player could also see a photographic upgrade. At the time, reports suggested that the line would be receiving 3.2 megapixel CMOS image sensors -- the same lens currently available in the iPhone 3GS.

Rumors of the camera upgrade cropped up long before the case evidence surfaced, but in recent months the evidence has become more convincing. One person even took photos and video of what was alleged to be a third-generation iPod touch prototype with a camera. That person even provided a teardown of the device, showing its inner workings.

With the latest tip provided to AppleInsider, it is unclear whether the debut of iPods with cameras has been scrapped from the Sept. 9 event entirely, or if the products will simply not be available for sale for some time after an unveiling.

Apple's long-rumored tablet device, with a 10-inch touchscreen and 3G connectivity, is not expected to be at Wednesday's event. That product will likely see its debut in early 2010.

People are gonna complain that there's no MAC Tablet on an IPOD event.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

so many questions ??⌅

Gee, he's playing 20 questions, didn't you know?
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

That's true and no, I have not tried Wolfenstein. But, Deadspace FTW!

Case in point. Wolfenstein was a great PC franchise that got raped by the consoles in the latest version. It's interesting so far, but no antialiasing (why am I not surprised) and the graphic engine is not that great for a 2009 title.

Dead Space would have been a sucky experience for PC gamers (fairly average textures, no antialiasing) if not for how fabulously creepy and mysterious it was... Just so freaky.

DX10 has been a complete sham. DX11? Yeah we'll see how many console ports in 2010 bother with DX10 or DX11, the way consoles are dominating the big game titles.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Technical problems? They're cellphone cameras. A billion of them are manufactured every year.

The marketplace for these things is obviously very diverse, but I do agree at the same time the marketplace for these devices is very accessible... So yeah, that's why I think Apple has been messing up lately. I mean, securing a batch of cellphone cameras. Quality control and supplying of laptops. Ramping iPhone 3GS production (I mean it's just plastic and electronics at the end of the day...) ... Apple has been behind the 8 ball through this year, whether it has anything to do with Jobs is of course up for speculation.

If there is a new Shuffle it would indicate that very possibly the tiny no-button Shuffle was a failure. Apple design minimalists minimalised the iPod to the point of nihilism.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Its a supplier problem, but still Apple could keep an eye on QC a little bit better if they were made here instead in a slave labor factory in China.

It's a pity all big global corporations and medium-sized corporations do a massive amount of manufacturing in China. If Apple were to manufacture in the USA, they could still be profitable and so on, but it would require a big vision from Steve Jobs and executives that really believe in it. Standard business mentality - competitor makes product A for X dollars in China, we make product B for 3X dollars in the USA... "F* it, we must try and make product B for 0.5X dollars in China...!"
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Case in point. Wolfenstein was a great PC franchise that got raped by the consoles in the latest version. It's interesting so far, but no antialiasing (why am I not surprised) and the graphic engine is not that great for a 2009 title.

Dead Space would have been a sucky experience for PC gamers (fairly average textures, no antialiasing) if not for how fabulously creepy and mysterious it was... Just so freaky.

DX10 has been a complete sham. DX11? Yeah we'll see how many console ports in 2010 bother with DX10 or DX11, the way consoles are dominating the big game titles.

True that. Hehe, EA games and GTA is now on the iPhone/iPod Touch platform... maybe we'll have Wolfenstein on the iPhone/iPod Touch platform real soon!

... my wistful thinking..
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

People are gonna complain that there's no MAC Tablet on an IPOD event.

And Beatles. Am I the only one that is sick and tired of the Beatles thing coming up EVERY F*G TIME there is an iPod event?

Sigh.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

True. But such a large number that could cause such a hindrance is unacceptable!
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

... Snip..

So Kindly shut your holier than thou attitude and try using Macs OS to make money.

Until then Kindly GET OFF MY A*S YOU TR*LL.

Ok ok let's stop these arguments and don't insult anybody on the forums yeah?
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Offtopic again: BTW Wolfenstein isn't that bad once you get into it. Just don't expect the graphics to be ultra-cutting edge... Somehow Source engine (eg. Half Life Episode 2) may still look a bit better... Anyways... See y'all on the flipside of this iPod announcement thingy. Cameras for all! But not shipping until next month! AND NO BEATLES SORRY.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

And Beatles. Am I the only one that is sick and tired of the Beatles thing coming up EVERY F*G TIME there is an iPod event?

Sigh.

Yeah. I bet there is no Beatles too. Great minds think alike.