Last-minute iPod rumors reaffirm cameras for touch, nano

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

carbon fiber anyone? could this be a sort of durability test before we see CF Macbook Pros in the coming year? That could easily shave a pound off of the weight of the pros, Nopw, imagine a CF 15 inch sans optical drive with the recovered space used to make the battery last 14-16 hrs, that would be great!

Oh, thats a lock....

Carbon fiber.... You can almost hear Jobs now;

- This stuff is stronger than STEEL!

- They make advanced radar invisible jets out if it!

- It can even stop a bullet!****

**** and THEN the lawyers have what they need... and just wait patiently until some poor slob gets shot with the device on his person...

Yea I can see it now...

Dave
  • Reply 62 of 69
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't understand the original objections, nuking spammers isn't about silencing people that actually want to participate in the forum, conflating spammers with genuine participants doesn't make sense.

You've been doing this for HOW long??!

And the man 'doesn't understand the objections' of certain form members...

Where HAVE you been?

You could make a forum announcement right now that you will be mailing out US $10 Gold Coins you found while shark hunting off the shores of NC (a hobby of yours) to each and every forum member and 2 to those of use who have been here since **before** the great 'reboot' of 01' and you'd STILL get a hand full of people bitching they they weren't $20 Gold Coins.

It's the nature of the beast... you can't explain it you just have to roll with the waves...

Dave

P.S. I'll PM you my offshore address since I'd rather not take possession of any investment quality coins within the confines of the US borders... You understand right?
  • Reply 63 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...John Gruber has shared what little he has been told will be unveiled ...He believes the new iPod touch will have the same RAM and processor speed as the iPhone 3GS, and the new media player will sell in capacities of 16GB, 32GB and 64GB at prices of $199, $299 and $399, respectively. He also said that the hard drive-based iPod classic will remain, likely with a 160GB capacity for $249.

I don't put much validity in these claims, since we already know that the prices Gruber claims are not consistent with this morning's price drops as reported by AI.

16GB 32GB 120GB Classic

Gruber $199 $299 $249

Apple store $249 $279 $229

I do expect a 64GB at $399, though even this could be slightly less if Apple prices aggressively in response to competition.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:

I don't operate or work for Apple, and I don't justify their app store policies.

It's not so simple as people having a link in their signature, it's about people promoting commercial products or services for money under the guise of just being another poster. It wasn't even in the signature in the first place, it was someone trying to promote the product they're being paid to promote, and throwing in a sentence or two to make it seem like they're genuine participants when they are just spammers.

That poster has made four posts, all with the exact same advertisement, and those other posts didn't even pretend to be part of the discussion, it was just an ad insertion, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to get picky, spam is an imitation meat product in a can, not a mass mailing. If you accept that the vernacular can change over time, then maybe you can understand there is an industry where people and bots insert ads disguised as posts into internet forums without the permission of forum owners, and spam is an acceptable word to use to describe it.

This isn't that individual's product. I don't even know if it really is an individual, it has the fingerprints of a spam bot. These bots are a problem for forums as they end up polluting threads and forums with advertisements disguised as discussions or comments. I doubt you would want to go to any forum where spammers are simply left alone under a misguided free speech mantra.

I do clean up signatures. I don't recall any signatures about gay marriage.

I would need to see examples of people spamming in order to clean it up. People linking to their own private website isn't spamming, as long as the web site isn't promoting a product or selling ad space.

Now can we move on as JLL said, just make a comment, do not get angry like others on internet practices, since very similarly processes happen in real life. That was point of my last post, but you missed that in my opinion. You decided to get 'picky'.

Anyway I think I go and watch Steve again and clean out my postbox of mass mailings and see if I can get any sweet deals.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

It's easy to understand JeffDM. The original objectors just like taking the opposing view on ... pretty much everything on these forums. I think it's just in their DNA. \

Tolerance/patience is something we all need to have a lot more of.

Steve Jobs may be a tyrant in Apple Inc. (business sense), but he respects his Mac supports/Fans, nice touch, he explained his illness yesterday to the audience.

Some of you may say its a business strategy, but you could see in his face, he was being sincere to audience.

THANK YOU for Home sharing, now I can get my music off 4 machines onto 1 machine.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:

...If you want to get picky, spam is an imitation meat product in a can, not a mass mailing...

If you're getting picky then spam is a mass mailing(if unsolicited); and while it might be an imitation meat as spam, Spam, the trademarked product, is not imitation meat; it?s real meat from delicious pig?s flesh.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    ^Haha. I like SPAM! The pork of course. Anyway, I think this thread can be put to rest. The iPod lineup has been announced so these rumors would really mean nothing now.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

If you're getting picky then spam is a mass mailing(if unsolicited); and while it might be an imitation meat as spam, Spam, the trademarked product, is not imitation meat; it’s real meat from delicious pig’s flesh.

I realize I'm stretching the discussion a bit longer than it should be, but I was trying to poke fun of the idea that words can't mean other things in other contexts, maybe you are t0o, I don't know. But if this idea is true, then new meanings can't be formed (how did spam come to mean unsolicited bulk email?), and jargon can't exist.

If there is a more appropriate word for posting unsolicited advertising on internet message boards, I'm game with using it, but so far as I know, spam is now that word and has been for years now.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:

I realize I'm stretching the discussion a bit longer than it should be, but I was trying to poke fun of the idea that words can't mean other things in other contexts, maybe you are t0o, I don't know. But if this idea is true, then new meanings can't be formed (how did spam come to mean unsolicited bulk email?), and jargon can't exist.

If there is a more appropriate word for posting unsolicited advertising on internet message boards, I'm game with using it, but so far as I know, spam is now that word and has been for years now.

last word on the subject..lol