Techtool Pro 5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited September 2015
Does anyone use TechTool Pro 5? I'm having problems with it and need some help. I have been getting an error message every thirty seconds:

"TechTool Protection Alert!

The volume "Secondary Internal" has 1% free space remaining. the Volume Usage threshold is configured in the TechTool Protection system preference."

I can't find a way to stop the error message and it's driving me up a wall. "Preference" is grayed out. To make matters worse, I downloaded an update to see if that would give me 'Preferences', but now TechTool is asking for a serial number which I can't find. It gives me two choices IF I had a serial number: Quit or OK. Where would I find the serial number?

I've tried to find the parent company online to get answers, but no joy, I can't find the address.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Does anyone use TechTool Pro 5? I'm having problems with it and need some help. I have been getting an error message every thirty seconds:

"TechTool Protection Alert!

The volume "Secondary Internal" has 1% free space remaining. the Volume Usage threshold is configured in the TechTool Protection system preference."

Is the error message true? If it is, then you are trying to do the exact opposite thing that you should be doing. If your hard drive has less than 1% of its capacity remaining as free space, then it cannot reliably store new data. If it is your boot volume, then your system cannot be expected to operate reliably. You should be free up some of your hard drive capacity rather than trying to stop the error message.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Is the error message true? If it is, then you are trying to do the exact opposite thing that you should be doing. If your hard drive has less than 1% of its capacity remaining as free space, then it cannot reliably store new data. If it is your boot volume, then your system cannot be expected to operate reliably. You should be free up some of your hard drive capacity rather than trying to stop the error message.

Yes, true; however, the drive is being used as a TrueCrypt encrypted container and will NOT be used for anything else. Even the 1/2 GB not used by the TrueCrypt is of no value. ONLY the TC container is being used.

I am FULLY aware that only 1/2 GB is remaining as free space. I don't need to be reminded, literally, every 30 seconds. If you know of anyway to stop the error message, I'd be grateful.

If you have an address for the TechTool parent company, I'd much appreciate it. I can find only addresses of sites to purchase it. They are of no use. I've already purchased it online as a download and I don't remember ANY serial number. If you know how to find the serial number, I'd be grateful. Techtool Pro 5 WON"T work at all without it.

Thanx for your input.

It's ironic. TechTool Pro 5 WILL NOT FUNCTION; however, it still sends out that d_____d error message.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have Tech Tool installed and ran into a disk problem... my TimeMachine disk ran out of space due to TechTool creating large files very regularly that were then backed up regularly (tons of gigabytes at a time). I chose to ignore TechTool in the Time Machine prefs panel and haven't had a warning since.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Hi,

Techtool alerts can only be disabled from the System Preferences pane?for some reason, Micromat put Techtool Protection in as a Prefs pane instead of making it a part of the application. Just open up the System Preferences, click on Techtool Protection, and click the "off" button upper left.

JS
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Has anyone had problems with the preferences pane of this application? Every time I launch it, it takes about 10 seconds to become responsive (with spinning beach ball) and every time I push/click anything, the beach ball spins for another 10-20 seconds. EVERY TIME.

I tested the other panes, but they're all okay, so it must only be this thing. This started happening right after installation, so it's not a matter of it building up "gunk" over time; straight outta the box.
  • Reply 6 of 7

How's this: I uninstalled Techtool, and it still gives me this message.  I used AppCleaner, so literally everything related to Techtool is gone.  It only happens to my external drive.  Help!

• Reply 7 of 7

Click Quit but you are not shutting it down. it brings back to the first screen, click OK and the popup message will disappear, now you can scan your mac.