MW slogans point to outer space.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    If this were to happen I'd sell my DP 533 G4, 640MB RAM, 2x 60GB HDs, and get the best iBook or TiBook that I could.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    god damn it horned_frog, i have not had a god damn cigarette for 3 days and the one place i thought i could come in peace and not be REMINDED that i am DYING for a cigarette is an online BB like this, and what do I see but you posting that little "cigarette smoking man" gif everywhere!

argh!!!

hk-star

PS and he's smiling! argh!!!!
  • Reply 23 of 33
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by hk-star:

<strong>god damn it horned_frog, i have not had a god damn cigarette for 3 days and the one place i thought i could come in peace and not be REMINDED that i am DYING for a cigarette is an online BB like this, and what do I see but you posting that little "cigarette smoking man" gif everywhere!

argh!!!

hk-star

PS and he's smiling! argh!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good luck man.

Try staring at your watch for 2 minutes until the craving passes...

(dunno saw it in an anti-smoking commericail)

-Paul
  • Reply 24 of 33
    thanks very much, i drank 3 glasses of fruit juice, that works well, it's hard to think of a cigarette as attractive after that.

anyway peer pressure is the thing at work really, once you've comitted, you have to follow through or you're confirmed weak ..

apple.com updated, spymac was right about the slogan, they probably guessed the URL

hk-star
  • Reply 25 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by hk-star:

<strong>thanks very much, i drank 3 glasses of fruit juice, that works well, it's hard to think of a cigarette as attractive after that.

anyway peer pressure is the thing at work really, once you've comitted, you have to follow through or you're confirmed weak ..

apple.com updated, spymac was right about the slogan, they probably guessed the URL

hk-star</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ouch, remind me never to take up smoking!

No, I think it is more likely that they saw it from someone on a board or somthing and just assumed it was correct. Also their graphic was WRONG. Wrong font and capitalization was off...

I dont belive a WORD they say.

-Paul
  • Reply 26 of 33
    You are all wrong.

aquaMac

The worlds first waterproof computer.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>You are all wrong.

aquaMac

The worlds first waterproof computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sure there are other water-proof computers...

-Paul
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I really wish some of you would listen to many of the previous posters on this topic regarding a global wireless network. Satellite communications are not yet practical for many applications of broadband technology. For streaming content, transfer of large files, etc... it would work fine. However, any function that requires rapid transmission and response of small packets, such as any game would suffer greatly.

I am not an engineer, but when I was upgrading to broadband, I thoroughly researched the issue, and learned that the problem with every satellite provider is that latency becomes appreciable. Instead of a 2 mile journey to the phone or cable company with normal broadband, you have a 30 mile journey to a satellite, which relays, maybe even parses the information, and then it is sent back to earth to the satellite company, and THEN is transmitted across the internet to its destination, after which you must wait for the response.

If apple has found a solution to this, possibly a technology that does not require line of sight but can operate over a longer distance than Airport or even a GSM/GPRS service, I will be absurdly impressed. Besides, developing a network takes time, and you cannot covertly launch 50 or more satellites without someone catching on. No one's going to want to hear a plan of development for the next 4 years. Everyone wants/expects something we can use now. Despite the Apple hype, I highly doubt they will be going as far as space.

Interesting option: someone said OS X has a feature built into it to be able to hand off tasks to other OS X computers, kind of like dynamically parsing out render jobs. If every apple computer in the world acted as a base-station of sorts with the range of a small cell tower, some new roving device might be able to take advantage of a communal overlapping network with computers handing over control of it.

This first option is very big brother ish, and i dont like it. but what if it were an apple device with specifically that purpose. Not your home computer which I sure wouldnt want people mooching off of, but a dock type thing that you buy with the idea that once you have your portable device/dock combo, not only can you roam around the house with your tablet, you can roam anywhere accessing the services (internet connection, processing power) of anyone's dock with your info and files, safely stored on your tablet. In cities, I think it could be pretty cool.

Just a thought. Probably about 20 years down the road, not 2 days. Whatever...

.: Michael
  • Reply 29 of 33
    yes, there definitely... DEFINITELY... seems to be a "GLOBAL" or "SPACE" theme to apple's teasers.

Hey does anybody know who controls the Iridium satellites now? I seem to remember that someone bought them at the last minute for pennies on the dollar?

just a thought!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    I think it's something to do with rocket toys:

"Full speed ahead: Lust Factor Ten"

Tomorrow it'll probably say:

"Get ready for lift-off."

which could just mean the beginning of MacWorld

OR

The start of an Apple rocket.

Hoo nose?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Phatbert ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Forget the segway, Steve BEAMS onto the stage.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    I think this is so obvious, and we're obviously missing it. Let's look at the clues:

- Star Trek references

- San Francisco

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

A flower-power iMac from transparent aluminum.

(Insert "Scotty" reference here.)

As an aside-- yes, there's significant latency in satellite broadband. Even if I (mockingly) suggested such an idea above, it takes years to implement such a project. One just doesn't decide, hey, let's heave a few rocks in space and start a global network.

Do you remember why it was called "Iridium?" Because its no. 77 on the periodic table, the same number of satellites that they needed for world-wide coverage.

How do you sneak 77 satellites into space? (Okay-- there's another company giving it a go, with fewer satellites. They're trying it with ~40. Still a lot.)

As for using the current Iridium satellites, personally, I don't think they have the bandwidth for anything useful, but even modem speeds would be kinda cool if you could hook up on top of Mt. Everest.

Of course, if tomorrow's tagline has something to do with "Whales" (e.g., "You'll have a whale of time") then they've found a cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey in a park, and they're giving free rides to take disruptor pot shots at Redmond.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Phatbert:

<strong>I think it's something to do with rocket toys:

"Full speed ahead: Lust Factor Ten"

Tomorrow it'll probably say:

"Get ready for lift-off."

which could just mean the beginning of MacWorld

OR

The start of an Apple rocket.

Hoo nose?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Phatbert ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course it's about the launch of a rocket. What do you think why they needed to reschedule the keynote?