freezing mac only in 10.2.4!?!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
10.2.3 was heaven. used to leave the computer on for a week or so at a time. alas, all is not good with new update. within minutes after the new version, my mac just freezes. it happens randomly; sometime after 5 minutes, sometimes after 5 hours. any app will freeze, so it's not a specific conflict i can find. all i know is that i can't really do any work for fear that it will freeze.

also, i often get the nice five language restart every so often.

im about ready to re-install osx from scratch up to the last stable version for me. 10.2.3.

anyone else with this strange issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Yup. Kernel Panics all the time. Plus: Half of my RAM isn't recognized unless I move the parts and zap the PRAM. But only until the next Kernel Panic. Actually, I _don't_ want to reinstall 10.2.3 only to find a new updater by Apple on Monday that solves the problem. I guess I'll try and keep away from my TiBook for the time being. But then how would I find out about the update being released? ... :/ I don't want to use my VAIO for the time being. I was glad I could leave it to rest in peace...

TiBook Rev. A, 500 MHz

512 MB RAM (2*256)

40 GB IBM TravelStar harddrive

Mac OS X 10.2.4 (upgraded from 10.2.3 via SU)

(and then just reupdated with the Combo, no use...)

No funny system changes, no autostarting apps (well, Stickies, but...)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by fryke:

<strong>Yup. Kernel Panics all the time. Plus: Half of my RAM isn't recognized unless I move the parts and zap the PRAM. But only until the next Kernel Panic. Actually, I _don't_ want to reinstall 10.2.3 only to find a new updater by Apple on Monday that solves the problem. I guess I'll try and keep away from my TiBook for the time being. But then how would I find out about the update being released? ... :/ I don't want to use my VAIO for the time being. I was glad I could leave it to rest in peace...

TiBook Rev. A, 500 MHz

512 MB RAM (2*256)

40 GB IBM TravelStar harddrive

Mac OS X 10.2.4 (upgraded from 10.2.3 via SU)

(and then just reupdated with the Combo, no use...)

No funny system changes, no autostarting apps (well, Stickies, but...)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you using brand-name ram (ie Apple, Crucial, Micron...)? You may have a marginally working dimm. You could pull one of them for a day or two and see if if still panics.

good luck