Sprint exec criticizes AT&T 3G; Palm CEO talks iPod, Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    It's not just cel service where AT&T is failing.

AT&T bought out Bellsouth, my local DSL provider. I've already had three outages this month; they seem incompetent and unable to fix the problem right. I may have to bail and move over to Comcast.

AT&T destroys everything they touch. Apple would do right to bring the iPhone to Sprint and Verizon once their exclusivity contract runs out. Of course, they probably won't.

I've been happy with my Palm Pre so far; it's a fun little phone. I own two Macs, so I love Apple products too, but the iPhone can be the most amazing phone in the world; if it's on a crappy network, it's useless to me.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They'll get it too. My bet is Apple won't renew their contract with AT&T, and are only spreading this message to get better treatment from them in the meantime. As for different technologies to work on different networks, that's the easy part.

We'll see what happens in 2010 and where the iPhone will head to/ stay with AT&T.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's misleading and re-writing history because iTunes really started off and was released as a way to get music on iPods (improting from CDs) with playlist and listings which were allreadypart of SoundJam. The CD burning part was an extra.

I think he was talking about the idea for iTunes -- i.e., before they even started development on it and long before it was released. Lot's of things start out as an idea for one thing and end up as something quite different. Take Vista, for example... (please!)
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by too999 View Post

To think that iTunes comes from Soundjam is plain ignorant of the work Apple put in from iTunes 2 to 9.

No it's not- it's fact, plain and simple. That is where it originated. Look it up.

What it is is delusional to think otherwise.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    I like how NOKIA sponsored the Engadget show and then the panel spends a solid 10 minutes criticising NOKIA's products and strategies in the first episode.

Also interesting is the credit Rubinstein gives Fred Andersen for saving Apple. Wasn't he basically the fall guy for the stock options scandal?

What were the 4 unnamed startups Rubinstein worked on prior to coming to Apple? Do any of them still exist?

With regards to Sound Jam - yes, Apple purchased it and used it as the basis for iTunes, although it was not their first choice. That said iTunes today is unrecognisable from the SoundJam product (which is I think the point too999 was trying to make).

Much of Apple's software started out in other forms (Macromedia Final Cut, KHTML engine prior to Webkit etc.).

This is typical of many software firms. Very rarely is something created from scratch. I believe iPhoto, Keynote, Pages, Numbers and Aperture were created inside Apple though.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Pre iPod, Apple considered buying Universal (Music) for their music library, but the stock market reacted negatively.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sprint wants the iPhone. Badly.

I wonder if they'll try and bastardize it like they do with their htc phones. I remember when the touch pro came out, it had a black battery case on it, but sprint decided to go with silver. It looked worse and everyone bitched that it was silver. NOW the Touch Pro 2 is out, and the stock version has a silver back, but Sprint's version has a BLACK back side, and everyone's bitching that they want the silver back side! LOL

I don't know why Sprint doesn't just go with the stock design on HTC phones. It always looks better than what they do to it.

Imagine a gunmetal colored iphone for sprint, with an orange circle around the home key lol.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'll bet you're wrong. I can't see a single advantage to going to Sprint, and you can't find one.

Yeah, cause more customers isn't an advantage. Either is people who refuse to switch from carrier, read: Sprint, some people are loyal like that.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Sprint's customer service is horrid. It would take a lot - iPhone maybe, or like a million dollars - for me to go back to that carrier.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

One wonders if Sprint's solution is to have crappier phones and less customers, and therefore have less problems.

The iPhone has certainly shown AT&T's issues, but I remain to be convinced that if it were on Sprint or Verizon it wouldn't have performed a similar hatchet job on their reputations. There's no other phone out right now that generates the sort of network traffic the iPhone does, especially amongst Verizon's line up of crippled junk.

Wired had an article this week suggesting that is exactly Verizon's direction. They would prefer to have phones that are not the most in demand, so long as it means their network performance looks good.

The problem with this is that it depends on you having phones no one wants or wants to use. If you are providing a service and the only way you can provide it is by charging customers and assuming the won't use it (by providing them phones they don't want to use) it seems you are striving for success by relying on failure...

Sprint on the otherhand at least brought in the pre and will launch an Android device. This at least shows they welcome the idea of customers actually using the devices they buy.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

It's not just cel service where AT&T is failing.

AT&T bought out Bellsouth, my local DSL provider. I've already had three outages this month; they seem incompetent and unable to fix the problem right. I may have to bail and move over to Comcast.

AT&T destroys everything they touch. Apple would do right to bring the iPhone to Sprint and Verizon once their exclusivity contract runs out. Of course, they probably won't.

I've been happy with my Palm Pre so far; it's a fun little phone. I own two Macs, so I love Apple products too, but the iPhone can be the most amazing phone in the world; if it's on a crappy network, it's useless to me.

Lucky for you that Sprint keeps losing customers each quarter and that the Palm Pre has not been a success.....you have the entire Sprint Network to yourself!
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

One wonders if Sprint's solution is to have crappier phones and less customers, and therefore have less problems.

The iPhone has certainly shown AT&T's issues, but I remain to be convinced that if it were on Sprint or Verizon it wouldn't have performed a similar hatchet job on their reputations. There's no other phone out right now that generates the sort of network traffic the iPhone does, especially amongst Verizon's line up of crippled junk.

Yes and No. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA in a separate channel for "mostly" voice... called 1X that is 1.25 MHz wide. In many of the cases a separate voice called "DO" also 1.25 MHz wide is used. If the data traffic is heavy, just data will slow down. Voice should not be affected.

ATT use a WCDMA 5 MHz channel that combines voice and data. It is easy to see how data could crowd voice out, even though they try to control that. However, HPSA implementation should improve that.

In addition to the wireless, the entire router and backbone need to be upgraded to fiberoptics. I doubt the Sprint and Verizon network backbone are designed to handle the kind of traffic that the iPhones generate.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    AT&T network if far from being jammed by iPhone's. Look their new 3G network can handle 5x more traffic than edge did, so if edge had no problem with 70 million users 3G shouldn't have a problem with 350 million which AT&T network is far, far from. When they upgrade to LTE in a few years the network will be able to handle 5x more traffic than today's 3G or almost 1.8 billion users, making voice calling plans drop like rocks.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No it's not- it's fact, plain and simple. That is where it originated. Look it up.

What it is is delusional to think otherwise.

I agree. Apple removed features from Soundjam. Anyone else remember that they removed the EQ, skin support, the ability to create genres, bass & treble adjustment, etc.*
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Ah a Sprint guy criticizing ATT. Sprint has the worst network I have ever used. No service everywhere I went when I had them and it was miserable. I have no issues at all with AT&T but I also have the 850 MHz spectrum where I live so that helps and I have had that since 2008. I don't see why people have so many issues with AT&T my data is fast and never have a dropped call. I had major issues with these when I was with Sprint and Verizon.

Apple will not release a Iphone for Sprint or Verizon, why would they build a CDMA version of the phone when that technology will not be around in 2-3 years. If Apple does drop their deal with AT&T it will be because T-mobile has bought Sprint and is now a number 3 provider in the country with a big footprint and GSM, Apple will then maybe offer it to T-mobile as well as AT&T leaving Verizon out in the dark ages with their crapy CDMA network, no Iphone, and their other crippled piece of crap phones.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They'll get it [the iPhone] too.

Highly unlikely.

Sprint uses CDMA, but in different frequency bands than Verizon's current CDMA, an orphan to be replaced by LTE. AT&T is also going to LTE, a GSM family technology being also adopted in much of the rest of the world. Sprint is adopting WiMax as its 4G technology, which is entirely different from and incompatible with LTE.

Sprint is also losing market share.

So, if you were Apple, would you build a phone solely for Sprint, while most of the world market converges on a different technology?

I don't think so.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Highly unlikely.

Sprint uses CDMA, but in different frequency bands than Verizon's current CDMA, an orphan to be replaced by LTE. AT&T is also going to LTE, a GSM family technology being also adopted in much of the rest of the world. Sprint is adopting WiMax as its 4G technology, which is entirely different from and incompatible with LTE.

Sprint is also losing market share.

So, if you were Apple, would you build a phone solely for Sprint, while most of the world market converges on a different technology?

I don't think so.

If true then no, the likely won't. My point wasn't necessarily that Sprint would get it though, but more so that AT&T won't continue to be the only company in the US that has it.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

(if only I could think of one of these ideas \)

Yep, my last big idea was to sell bottles of water and if I charged a dollar each and sold a million of them I would make....er....help me with the math!

\)
  • Reply 39 of 61
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blewharvest View Post

I agree. Apple removed features from Soundjam. Anyone else remember that they removed the EQ, skin support, the ability to create genres, bass & treble adjustment, etc.*

Yes I remember. The equalizer and bass treble adjs were fantastic. The skins were a lot of fun. I'm telling you, if you stripped out everything from iTunes that orignated in Soundjam you'd be left with nada.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    I've been a Clearwire customer for a couple of years, and they do not have any bragging rights over AT&T. It's slow, and if they don't like your use of peer to peer networks, will access your modem and slow it to a crawl. Calling it 4G technology when it's no faster than DSL is a real stretch.

Also, if you want laptop (portable) access to the network, forget it unless it's Wintel. They've been promising drivers for years - yet to come through.

If AT&T comes up with a decent 4G data plan, I'll be dropping Clearwire.