Permissions Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I ran disk utility and got the following when verifying permissions:

2003-02-21 18:27:44 +0530 - Verification of privileges has started

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util. New permissions are 33261

Permissions differ on ./private/etc/hostconfig, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--

User differs on ./private/var/db/locate.database, should be 0, owner is -2

Permissions differ on ./private/var/db/locate.database, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r--

Permissions differ on ./private/var/db/netinfo/local.nidb/Clean, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-------

Group differs on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be 80, group is 0

Group differs on ./private/var/run/utmp, should be 0, group is 1

Permissions differ on ./usr, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-t

Permissions differ on ./Applications/Utilities/StuffIt Expander.app/Contents/PkgInfo, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x

Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx

Permissions differ on ./Library/Documentation, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Shockwave Flash NP-PPC, should be 0, owner is 501

Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Shockwave Flash NP-PPC, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x

Permissions differ on ./Library/Documentation, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx

Permissions differ on ./private/etc/slpsa.conf, should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r--

Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSpt, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx

Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx

Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx

User differs on ./Library/Documentation/Acrobat Read Me/ReadMe.html, should be 0, owner is 501

Group differs on ./Library/Documentation/Acrobat Read Me/ReadMe.html, should be 80, group is 0

2003-02-21 18:38:45 +0530 - The privileges have been verified on the selected volume.

What does all of this mean? Should I hit the 'Repair Permissions' button?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Of course. I run permissions repairs after every OS update. Incorrect permissions may cause stupid errors, unexpected slowdowns and random crashes.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by costique:

<strong>Of course. I run permissions repairs after every OS update. Incorrect permissions may cause stupid errors, unexpected slowdowns and random crashes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks. I just upgraded to 10.2.4 and I'm busy investigating a system slowdown. Since I lack technical knowledge (that's why most of us have a Mac after all), I must appeal to those more versed than I.